Why Defensive Front Not Offensive Front In Draft? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Defensive Front Not Offensive Front In Draft?

Da 'Fins

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
Why would we go three Defensive front players and only one O-lineman in the fifth round?

Our offensive line is very young. The average experience of the top 12 linemen - 3.25 years. This is before the draft.

The defensive front 7 is the opposite. The average experience of the top 12 in the front 7 is 8 years. Among starters: Carter (11 yrs); Chester (7); Bowens (12); Taylor (8); Thomas (9); Seau (15).

Saban realized that while Carter and Holliday are going to give us depth at DE and DT for the next year or two, he has to start getting younger in the front 7. That's not the only reason we went with Roth and Crowder, as well as Vickerson, but it's one of them. I think it was smart.

The thing I think we have to see is that we cannot rebuild every area in one year. And, He's not necessarily trying to get better at the weakest spot just for next year. He's trying to get younger and recognizes that there's a lot of age on defense. This is the Belichick model that he's following, if you listen to his press conference.

Back to the OL - I think we have a lot of talented youth on the OL that can get much better with the improved coaching/scheme/offensive system etc. that are now in place. That's what Saban believes and I think there's good reason to believe this. The OL WILL be better. Even if it doesn't improve dramatically, he can make more improvements next year and now he has some youth to step in on the defensive front.

This wasn't going to be a completely re-vamped SB contending team in one year anyway.

because our oline is young with potential, our dline is getting old and has injury concerns

Da 'Fins said:
Why would we go three Defensive front players and only one O-lineman in the fifth round?

Our offensive line is very young. The average experience of the top 12 linemen - 3.25 years. This is before the draft.

The defensive front 7 is the opposite. The average experience of the top 12 in the front 7 is 8 years. Among starters: Carter (11 yrs); Chester (7); Bowens (12); Taylor (8); Thomas (9); Seau (15).

I think you pretty much answered your own question.

Da 'Fins said:

The defensive front 7 is the opposite.

C'mon, man. You can't approach draft analysis with facts and logic.

Everyone in here knows we didn't draft enough O-lineman. There were better lineman at every spot in the draft that we picked.:rolleyes: Barron over Brown was even a no brainer.

Even the one OL we did pick is a slob and a blob. Houck has no idea what he's doing.

While we're at it, why aren't we gobbling up every UDFA lineman there is?

Da 'Fins said:

Saban realized that while Carter and Holliday are going to give us depth at DE and DT for the next year or two, he has to start getting younger in the front 7. That's not the only reason we went with Roth and Crowder, as well as Vickerson, but it's one of them. I think it was smart.

The thing I think we have to see is that we cannot rebuild every area in one year. And, He's not necessarily trying to get better at the weakest spot just for next year. He's trying to get younger and recognizes that there's a lot of age on defense. This is the Belichick model that he's following, if you listen to his press conference.

Back to the OL - I think we have a lot of talented youth on the OL that can get much better with the improved coaching/scheme/offensive system etc. that are now in place. That's what Saban believes and I think there's good reason to believe this. The OL WILL be better. Even if it doesn't improve dramatically, he can make more improvements next year and now he has some youth to step in on the defensive front.

This wasn't going to be a completely re-vamped SB contending team in one year anyway.

I agree with your synopsis, but at the same time, he wasn't drafting for a 3-4 which he promised us. He stuck to a 4-3 model in his draft. You got a super talented LB, that can play the strong side very well, and he just keeps slipping right on past us, clear to the last pick in the 3rd round (32nd pick), before compensatory picks. We could of traded for it. He would of been the perfect fit for us to convert to the 3-4. So, who is going to play the Sam in our 3-4, if he even try's to convert to it? Very cheaply had Sam, and IMO, probably the best, if not the best, top 3, and at the end of the third round? You cant beat that.

So, he cant replace zach or JT, that would be way to expensive. So, who is going to go? How many roster spots we devoting to LB and DL? Sure, its nice to draft depth, but that wasnt the best pick. I hear all these shows criticizing Shanny drafting depth with his first three picks, but no one says one word about us drafting depth after our 1st pick.

finsfan4life said:
Two words, Hudson Houck.

I know that everybody is talking about him like he's the next coming of Jesus, but I would hold off on the high praise just yet. While he will improve the line eventually (hopefully), dont expect immediate results. The biggest reason I say this is Bill Muir. Muir was brought over from the Jets to Tampa before Gruden got there (it was done prior to Parcells saying no to the Glazers). Everybody expected Muir, one of the supposed line gurus, to mold Tampa's line into a solid an effective unit. To this day, it still has major problems, so he really didn't accomplish what he set out to do.

That's not to say that Houck will have the same luck, but just don't expect him to take an entirely new line and make it good right away.

LithoMan said:
I agree with your synopsis, but at the same time, he wasn't drafting for a 3-4 which he promised us. He stuck to a 4-3 model in his draft.

What the hell are you talking about? Saban didn't promise us anything. He's running a 4-3 and a 3-4, multiple fronts and formations. He didn't stick to any model with this draft. Roth and Crowder can work in either system. What don't you get about this?

You got a super talented LB, that can play the strong side very well, and he just keeps slipping right on past us, clear to the last pick in the 3rd round (32nd pick), before compensatory picks. We could of traded for it.

Who are you talking about here? Gotta think Saban knows who fits his defense better than you do. If you fall in love with players during the draft you'll be disappointed. No fan knows one one thousandth about a player that a team does.

He would of been the perfect fit for us to convert to the 3-4. So, who is going to play the Sam in our 3-4, if he even try's to convert to it? Very cheaply had Sam, and IMO, probably the best, if not the best, top 3, and at the end of the third round? You cant beat that.

Wasn't Clarett the last pick of the 3rd round? I think you're very confused.

So, he cant replace zach or JT, that would be way to expensive. So, who is going to go? How many roster spots we devoting to LB and DL? Sure, its nice to draft depth, but that wasnt the best pick. I hear all these shows criticizing Shanny drafting depth with his first three picks, but no one says one word about us drafting depth after our 1st pick.[

Do you honestly think Denver's draft was any good or even close to ours?

Roth could start as a 4-3 end or a 3-4 backer. Crowder could start in a year or so and Daniels has a shot to be a starting FS or replace Howard as the nickel guy.

Steve S said:
[

C'mon, man. You can't approach draft analysis with facts and logic.

Everyone in here knows we didn't draft enough O-lineman. There were better lineman at every spot in the draft that we picked.:rolleyes: Barron over Brown was even a no brainer.

Even the one OL we did pick is a slob and a blob. Houck has no idea what he's doing.

While we're at it, why aren't we gobbling up every UDFA lineman there is?

What the hell are you talking about? O-linemen are much riskier picks in the draft. Everything Da'Fins said is true and valid. BTW DaFins, thanx for looking up all the info, I knew it was true, but glad to see the actual numbers. In the draft, unless you can draft a R Gallery, everyone else in the 1st 3 rounds has a decent chance of becoming the next Taylor Whitley, i.e. useless. Our 1st 3 picks will start for us within the next 2 years. Seau is old. Zach is good, but losing serious tread on the tires. Holliday may/may not be a stopgap solution.

Ohio Fanatic said:
What the hell are you talking about? O-linemen are much riskier picks in the draft. Everything Da'Fins said is true and valid. BTW DaFins, thanx for looking up all the info, I knew it was true, but glad to see the actual numbers. In the draft, unless you can draft a R Gallery, everyone else in the 1st 3 rounds has a decent chance of becoming the next Taylor Whitley, i.e. useless. Our 1st 3 picks will start for us within the next 2 years. Seau is old. Zach is good, but losing serious tread on the tires. Holliday may/may not be a stopgap solution.

I was being sarcastic. I also agree with everything DaFins has written.

Houck has his toughest job yet here in Miami. I doubt there will be any quick turnaround. As for why DL over OL this year.. well the DL is much much older and constantly on injured reserve. There are some promising OL prospects next year (a lot of first rounders stayed in school this year), so we might be in a better position to see what Houck can do for a year, and then patch the holes with solid draft picks next year.

Steve S said:
LithoMan said:
I agree with your synopsis, but at the same time, he wasn't drafting for a 3-4 which he promised us. He stuck to a 4-3 model in his draft.

1) What the hell are you talking about? Saban didn't promise us anything. He's running a 4-3 and a 3-4, multiple fronts and formations. He didn't stick to any model with this draft. Roth and Crowder can work in either system. What don't you get about this?

You got a super talented LB, that can play the strong side very well, and he just keeps slipping right on past us, clear to the last pick in the 3rd round (32nd pick), before compensatory picks. We could of traded for it.

2) Who are you talking about here? Gotta think Saban knows who fits his defense better than you do. If you fall in love with players during the draft you'll be disappointed. No fan knows one one thousandth about a player that a team does.

He would of been the perfect fit for us to convert to the 3-4. So, who is going to play the Sam in our 3-4, if he even try's to convert to it? Very cheaply had Sam, and IMO, probably the best, if not the best, top 3, and at the end of the third round? You cant beat that.

3) Wasn't Clarett the last pick of the 3rd round? I think you're very confused.

So, he cant replace zach or JT, that would be way to expensive. So, who is going to go? How many roster spots we devoting to LB and DL? Sure, its nice to draft depth, but that wasnt the best pick. I hear all these shows criticizing Shanny drafting depth with his first three picks, but no one says one word about us drafting depth after our 1st pick.[

4) Do you honestly think Denver's draft was any good or even close to ours?

Roth could start as a 4-3 end or a 3-4 backer. Crowder could start in a year or so and Daniels has a shot to be a starting FS or replace Howard as the nickel guy.

1) dont try to retract Sabans words for him. He did promise to use the 3-4. That is one of the things that made me not be disappointed by his signing as the HC/GM. Of course Crowder can play in either, he is an ILB. Roth, wrong. he would have to rotate to JT's position, and that aint happening, unless JT is gone. We CANNOT run a 3-4 with the personel we have right now. Sure, you could line-up in it, but we would get handed our own a$$ gameday.

2) Is that right? i didnt fall in love with no player. But, after this draft, it was obvious that Saban stuck to what he knew. He DID NOT draft the BAP's, only the players he knew.

3) yes, Clarett was the last in the third, but I said the last pick in the third before the compensatory picks. Read, dont be illiterate.

4) Ah, yes, I think Denver grab some fine talent. All they were needing was a CB, interior OL, and a RB. They dont have room for anything else. He flood drafted the CB spot, and got better overall. Paymah aint a joke. We had no clue who he was, and popped the tape in of him at WSU. They played Texas, and he shut Roy "the God" Williams down. That is sarcastic, because Roy is a one dimensional player everyone thinks is god. NOT. Paymah made that dude look like Sam Simmons. We do have the library of tapes for up to 3 years back in our archive, do you?

As for Crowder, he will be starting probably this year. He will have to if Saban tries the 3-4. It will be ugly, but not Crowders fault.

As for Daniels, we stuck with a guy Saban knew, who is a CB, but will move to FS? Instead of getting a true FS? Alrighty then....On top of that, he aint all that great anyways, I liked his highlight tapes eSPN ran. It showed the same play three times, from different angles. Is that all he has, one highlight?

Back
Top Bottom