Why Did Gailey Leave Dallas For Miami? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Did Gailey Leave Dallas For Miami?

NJPHIN34

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
I was doing some research on Chan Gailey and saw that he was the HC for the Dallas Cowboys for 2 years with a decent record; 2 playoff appearances. Why did he leave Dallas? Was he fired? If so, seems like he got a raw deal only after 2 years.

He does have a pretty good record as a HC (91-58-1) and has plenty of experience. None of the candidates really excite me but I could live with Gailey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chan_Gailey

Dallas (read: Jerry Jones) fired him. Which is for the better, as he was being actively undermined by the players (who didn't like his system) and injuries at crucial positions.

Id rather have Mora JR!! But id rather have Chan gailey over SHOTTY!

Mora Jr.? WHY? He was given the most ATHLETIC QB to ever play the game and did absolutely nothing with him. Moras coaching went from good when he 1st arrived in Atlanta and got them into the playoffs to bad this year when they didnt make the playoffs, Vick had his worst year, and he had that stupid joke about taking the Washington job.

Yep. Don't recall all of the circumstances/speculation on why he was fired after only two years though.

He was fired after only 2 years because:

1. Well, its Jerry Jones, enough said.
2. Players didn't get along well with him.
3. He didn't win the SB
4. Although he got them into the playoffs both years, he was fighting some big personnel losses/injuries.

Gailey would be a good hire IMO.

We would be so lucky to have a coach come in and bring us to 2 playoff apperances in 2 years. I know they were first round exits, but come on 2 years?

I was doing some research on Chan Gailey and saw that he was the HC for the Dallas Cowboys for 2 years with a decent record; 2 playoff appearances. Why did he leave Dallas? Was he fired? If so, seems like he got a raw deal only after 2 years.

He does have a pretty good record as a HC (91-58-1) and has plenty of experience. None of the candidates really excite me but I could live with Gailey.

Two words, in my opinion and according to what the Dallas media uncovered at the time: Troy Aikman.

Gailey had brought the franchise back to respectability and really instilled an attention to detail when he came in '98. His offense was working like gangbusters the majority of that season, and they won the division w/ a 10-6 record and 8-0 NFC East record, but did have a bad playoff loss against the Cards.

'99 is when the bottom fell out for Gailey, mainly due to injuries. They'd signed James McKnight as a FA to be the 3rd receiver behind Irvin and Raghib Ismail, and then he tore up his knee in the first intra-squad scrimmage of camp. Then Irvin went down for his career in Week 4, when the 'Boys were on the way to a 4-0 record to start the year. After that, it was Mills, Wane McGarity, and '98 starter Billy Davis that also got the injury bug. By the end of the season, he was down to an exhausted and beat-up Ismail and an undrafted rookie named Jason Tucker manning the WR position.

Emmitt still had a great season in '99, but Gailey's playcalling was severely hamstrung by the receiver injuries. Aikman apparently allowed his frustration with the injuries and the consquently conservative gameplans to get the best of him, and the word from multiple sources was he went to Jerry Jones and convinced him the team needed a return to the days of the Turner/Zampese systems that of course Aikman preferred.

Jones gave Gailey an ultimatum: hire an OC and change systems or get out of here. Gailey stood up to Jerry and said he wouldn't compromise his offensive system and philosophies, and out the door he went.

Jones fired him

"Gailey was head coach of the Dallas Cowboys for two seasons in the late 1990s, leading the team to an NFC East title and two straight playoff appearances before he was fired by owner Jerry Jones." from SportingNews.com

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=165825

Mora Jr.? WHY? He was given the most ATHLETIC QB to ever play the game and did absolutely nothing with him. Moras coaching went from good when he 1st arrived in Atlanta and got them into the playoffs to bad this year when they didnt make the playoffs, Vick had his worst year, and he had that stupid joke about taking the Washington job.
I like his coaching style

FWIW, Gailey used to have a website that I'm not sure is still active (www.coachgailey.com). On there, he had several endorsement-type of quotes from former players and coaching colleagues. Tellingly, two of those were from Emmitt Smith and Deion Sanders.

Emmitt actually called him one of the best coaches he ever played for, and credited him for revitalizing his career. (Smith had his last 2 best yardage seasons under Gailey. Look at that and then also look at what he did for Lamar Smith when he was here, and how Bettis got his career revitalized under his system in Pittsburgh, etc., etc. This guy can work with running backs).

Deion also had high praise for him and going back to when Chan was fired in Dallas, Deion publicly expressed a lot of animosity towards Aikman and basically came out and intimated that Aikman had gotten Gailey canned.

There's a reason Mora Sr. called Vick a "coach killer." The guy only cares about himself, not about winning, as evidenced when Vick admitted he didn't really care about the last game of the 2005 season.

There's a reason Mora Sr. called Vick a "coach killer." The guy only cares about himself, not about winning, as evidenced when Vick admitted he didn't really care about the last game of the 2005 season.

If an athlete is good enough, he can change to adapt. Mike Vick wants coaches and Coordinators to adapt to him. That in my opinion is what brought Atlanta down.

Back
Top Bottom