Why did the Bills run up the Score? | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why did the Bills run up the Score?

I don't really think the Bills had any intention of running up the score. McDermott said postgame that in giving backups and practice squad players the opportunity to play, he wanted to just let them play and enjoy their time on the field. The Bills played as many backups as they reasonably could. They were limited in the number of O line men they could play due to only having 7 active on the O line. (The backup right tackle got ill before game time and was scratched.)

The Bills and the majority of Bills Fans have a lot of respect for the Dolphins. It took how many years for the Bills to get relevant again? We found our QB and a front office and head coach that are capable and work in tandem. The Dolphins team have found a good HC in Flores. He is building a solid team and I am not going to look forward to playing the Dolphins twice a year. The jury may be out on Tua, but he certainly has all the tools to be a great QB. With his devastating injury, I'm amazed that he has been able to come back as strong as he has. Being a Penn State alum, I love Gesicki and was crestfallen when you guys were able to draft him. You also have pretty scary WRs who can get open and catch the ball. Your defense is outstanding, despite the last game. And who doesn't love Fitzpatrick?! He will always be a favorite here in WNY and, in truth, I was glad we didn't have to face him in this game. Hope he is doing well.

Now in the playoffs...it's any given Sunday, and take one game at a time, one play at a time.

You guys will be interesting to watch in the draft. I will hate everyone of your picks because I know they will make you a better team!

Best of luck and good health to you all in this new year!

Good post

We have a Bill's fan that has been posting here for years and even won the Best Enemy poster award in the past
He is taking a break knowing that after a debacle like the last game coming here to gloat or put our team down is not the thing to do.

If you want to talk about the Bills and their playoff run we have a forum for that

Good post

We have a Bill's fan that has been posting here for years and even won the Best Enemy poster award in the past
He is taking a break knowing that after a debacle like the last game coming here to gloat or put our team down is not the thing to do.

If you want to talk about the Bills and their playoff run we have a forum for that

Thank you for this. I learned a long time ago to be a fan of my teams, but, more so, to be a fan of the game because teams can be disappointing. (Case in point, the Bills for 25 years and Penn State this year.) The main reason I posted, BTW, was to show you that not all Bills fans are obnoxious buttholes...though we have our fair share of those...many of which I have tussled with on the Bills boards. Some of them I wish we'd ban as well.

BTW...being of the female persuasion, I love your avatar!

Bills fan here.
You guys will be fine, an anomaly ass beating happens regularly in the NFL, whereas Sean McDermott said, "this league can humble you quick." The Bills start reading their press-clippings, they will be next.

Your team has some excellent players, strong leadership, and culture (necessities IMO), and a loaded draft cupboard. Tua, you can win with and maybe he will turn elite, who the hell knows. No one predicted a Josh ascendancy like this.

Besides, if the Bills couldn't be the team to knock the Pats out of the playoffs, I wanted it to be the Phins, had to be AFCE.

My apologies if there is a related thread on this. Would like your opinion on why the Bills ran up the score. I'm thinking you don't do that to a division opponent since you see them twice a year. This is Patriots-que. With 6-7 minutes left in the game, Barkley throws a 56 yard TD. Not only there but way before in the second half, you would think Bills would run the ball to run the clock and go out healthy. Even the broadcasters brought this up. Their defense was balling and they had many opportunities to run out the clock and not pass but they chose not to. There really was no danger for most of the second half of Tua leading a come back.
We got humiliated yesterday only because we didn't show up to play - we put up very little fight. I have said this before here that when one team beats up another by 20 points or more, the losing team 99% of time usually just did not show up to play. It happens every year and to pretty much every team where they have an off day. Example, in NBA recently, Dallas had a 50pt lead on the Clippers by half time. Most people will tell you the Clippers are a sizably better team than the Dallas Mavericks. It happens.
So while Buffalo is definitely better than us, they are no where close to being better than us by 30 points. They showed a lack of class by running up the score. I saw after-the-game exchange between Flores and McDermott and it seemed much more short than normal, in my opinion. I'm sure Flores didn't appreciate running up the score.
Granted, it's our fault for not showing up or putting up a fight, hence Flores saying "we didn't have it (today)." What do you think?

Good afternoon. Bills fan, here. As much as I'm sure it felt like the Bills were running up the score, it's not McDermott's style to do something like that.

It was important for the Bills to win that game. Especially since Cleveland was having a difficult time beating Pittsburgh's backups.

Jerry Hughes, Mario Addison and Tre White were all healthy scratches. McDermott pulled the offensive starters after the first half. Bills pass catchers didn't attempt any YAC.

I have been a Flores fan since he got the job. His team quit on him last Sunday and it was disappointing to see.

It was (in my opinion) imperative that the Bills get a healthy lead prior to resting starters. But for the rest of the game, the Dolphins defense laid down. If Flores is upset about anything, that is what it should be.

Please understand that I'm not rubbing the victory in. I'm just opining that the score was not run up. The game still has to be played and what it turned out to be was a bunch of hungry young players getting a shot to show their stuff vs. a bunch of apparently dejected and defeated defenders.

There are some good discussions here about the Bills

A lot of ours fans were very high on your QB for good reason

Going forward this is the best place to discuss your team

Just so you know

Full disclosure, I'm a Bills fan. Ban me if you will, whatever. Miami has always been one of my other preferred teams though with Dolphin fans in the family (plus Dolphin fans are generally a treat to deal with compared to generally toxic Jets and Patriots fans). So no ire or bravado here.

This notion that Buffalo ran up the score on Miami, and the outrage being expressed by some as a result, is so laughably wrong I couldn't help but address it.

1. Buffalo wasn't even at full strength for the first half. They rested their All Pro CB, top two pass rushers, starting returner, slot receiver with injury, and were out their starting TE with a false positive Covid test.

2. Only one of their eight touchdowns was a true "starter touchdown". That being Allen with a pass to #2 WR John Brown, who was in his first game off IR. The other seven were...
- 2 receiving touchdowns from their #5 WR, getting snaps outside of his usual "The Jet Sweep Guy" role.
- 1 punt return TD from the backup returner (said Jet Sweep Guy).
- 1 pick six from a backup CB.
- 2 rushing TDs from an undrafted rookie practice squad RB, just called up the day before.
- 1 passing TD from the backup QB (widely regarded as one of the worst backups around, even by Bills fans) to the #4 WR (a fourth round rookie).

3. You simply cannot tell backups/practice squad players to not give their all in that situation. They are playing for their jobs, and trying to secure a roster spot for the playoffs/following season. Not only do injuries happen, so you have to know your backups can be competitive at any given time, but COVID IS ALSO A THING. We've already seen Denver have to play without QBs, and New Orleans play without RBs, as well as QBs go down throughout the season. Buffalo was already playing without their starting TE due to a Covid test. You don't want to go into the playoffs with zero meaningful snaps for your backups.

4. I don't even have to address the "if you don't like getting beat by backups, stop them" thing, enough of you have already acknowledged that. Same goes for timeouts thing.

5. I don't believe McDermott was trying to humiliate you, or push for COTY, but could you really blame Buffalo for maybe trying to make a bit of a statement? Buffalo was HUGELY criticized all season, even back to last season, about being conservative and trying to protect leads, not "putting foot on throat". Also criticized for lack of "statement wins" and not dominating. There was also still a chance of a wild card rematch between Buffalo and Miami the following week, so I would think most coaches would go for the jugular and put some fear into them (and even then only did so accidentally with backups).

6. I have to address the few posters you have who clearly just don't know what they are talking about, who make you look bad.
- Buffalo did not keep their "top receivers" in the second half, as one poster claimed. I'm sorry your defense played so poorly that Buffalo's #4 and #5 WRs looked like top receivers by comparison. That #4 had all of TWO receptions, and the #5 did all his damage in the FIRST half. The backup QB throwing to them had 13 pass attempts in the half, hardly enough to qualify as going for the throat, and barely enough to qualify as meaningful action for practice. Would you consider 26 pass attempts through a full game to be a lot?
- To the poster complaining that Buffalo still had a few starting O-linemen playing the second half, that's because THEY LITERALLY HAD TO PLAY (at least subbing in and out) because you can only dress so many O-linemen. They didn't have enough backups to field a full second line.
- One poster alleged that McDermott clearly had an angry grudge against Miami and was out to get them. ARE YOU KIDDING? He is widely regarded as one of the most congenial and likeable coaches in the league, why the hell would he have some petty grudge against your team? Don't project your frustration and bitterness onto him.
- To the poster still harping on about how Miami dominated Buffalo in the early 70s, insinuating that Bills fans are somehow still bitter about that? I couldn't give a flying rat's arse about what happened between teams over a decade before I was born. It's fine to be nostalgic and proud of a franchise's achievements, but to try to cling to that as means to lord over another team's fans is truly pathetic.
- Buffalo fans showing up out of the blue now is not negatively telling about THEM. A selection of YOUR fans were being so hilariously and pathetically wrong about the game with the whining that someone posted a "check out these guys, funny" thread on the Bills forum and you can't blame them for being compelled to respond to such ridiculousness (as I said, hence why I'm here). News flash, fans from every team check out the forums of every other team they play. Don't try to deny Miami fans do the same. In this case one of Buffalo's visitors just stumbled across something so silly it went a bit "viral".

You guys actually have a good team, but you're in a similar situation to the Bills from just a few seasons ago. New coach, highly drafted QB, good defense with struggling offense, just needing some development time and a couple more pieces to raise from being merely competitive to a contender. Go get that stud OT with Houston's pick, grab a couple more WRs, and come for our title next year when Tua isn't so gun shy about throwing downfield. The way he played this year he had no chance to come from behind against Buffalo, but I'm sure with an ACTUAL OFFSEASON he'll be great next year (I've been on record as saying the lack of offseason is a big reason for why Buffalo traded for Diggs, rather than draft a WR).

*edit*
Also want to add that you coughed up four turnovers in the second half, which naturally is going to lead to a big swing in points even against backups. Buffalo also rested their #3 RB from the start, who was their special teams ace gunner. This was anything but an intentional running up of points.

Last edited:
Listen....
Buffalo sent us and the Pats a message the last two games....They are now the alpha dog in the division...
It's on now.
It's the Dolphins job to do something about it...
It's a man's game..

I will say I don’t think McD was trying to run up the score. Against NE he definitely was (Karma). I think they were resigned to run the clock out with Williams. But the calling of the TOs and extending a lost game irked him. So he Greenlit the bomb to Davis.

Now we have to build a team to stop them which won't be easy because we couldn't do it to the Pats for a freakin decade.

If Flo is who I think he is he'll build a team to compete/stop the Bills. Josh Allen has our number for some reason but them blowing us up isn't their fault, it's ours.
This. For years, Miami was one of the few teams that could frustrate Brady and knock him off his game. The Fins usually lost in Foxborough, but had a decent record when playing in Miami. However, the fact that Miami's offense was mostly ineffective during New England's dominance meant that no matter how nice it was to beat Brady at home, the Fins were never able to win enough games to unseat the Pats as Division Champs. 2008's Wild Cat year was an exception, but even then NE without Brady was tied with Miami at 11-5.

Why couldn't Miami win more games? Aside from a few fluke games, the Dolphins post-Marino have never had an explosive offense that can score quickly, and score often. We just witnessed a young, rebuilt Bills team score a ton of points (half with back-ups!) on Miami's so-called good defense. It appears that Buffalo has replaced New England as being the Division rival that can score a lot of points and win a lot of games. Since Miami couldn't even slow down their back-ups, then the only way to compete with the Bills is to build an offense that is also able to score a lot of points. We know that the o-line needs to perform better and they need some "elite" WRs... that's a given. But, the main question is Tua: Is he the type of QB that can win a shootout (with better WRs), or will he continue to be the short pass ball-control QB that we saw this season?

Personally, I'm not a fan of Tua and don't believe that he's the guy. However, I have to assume that Miami will keep Tua, and load up the offense with talented WRs. So, if Miami isn't going to draft another QB with that #3 pick, then I'd suggest trading down a few spots with a QB needy team for a high 2022 pick. They should still be able to acquire much-needed talent for 2021, and they'd have an extra early pick should Tua not work out and need to be replaced in 2022.

I don’t think they ran the score up more the Dolphins saved one of their worst performances for last. They beat us on every aspect, Special Teams, Offense and Defense. We were out played and out coached.
As the game wore on the Bills pulled more and more starters (not all, why would they) the replacements wanted to prove something to the HC and team mates and they did, beating our starters.
Hopefully they go on, win big in Tampa Bay so we can say it was the SB champions who knocked us out.
Good luck to them and no matter how you may disagree, look on the bright side- they are not the Patriots

Back
Top Bottom