Why did the Bills run up the Score? | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why did the Bills run up the Score?

I’m an occasional lurker and a Bills fan. I’ve never posted on an opponents fan board but this one spiked my interest. I come in relative peace.

This take is wild. Running up the score?! From a 1000 foot view, at what point is it on the Dolphins to stop back ups and PS players for a half in a must win situation? But seriously, we were rotating guys in in the 2nd half that had never dressed or played a snap ever.

Regarding the two big issues you guys have:

Allen just before the half: There are some real questions and worry that Barkley is a feasible back up in this league. To the extent that there was a real worry that we could score literally zero points for the rest of the game. I have no issues. Had we not we’d be giving the ball back at half up by only 2 possessions and unsure if we could actually score enough points. It was just a buffer to play the backups.

Barkley to Davis TD: That’s our back up QB throwing to a rookie WR4. That throw barely made it there. Regardless of score you pull the trigger on the right read everytime. Davis was the right read, at some point you have to stop the back up QB standing behind backup OL throwing to WR4 from making a play one on one. It shouldn’t be that hard.

In general, something to chew on, the back ups and PS players hung 28 points in a half on your starters in a game where you win and you’re in. Also CB1 and DE1 didn’t dress for this game for no other reason than getting some rest.

If Allen and Diggs stay in and there was an air raid I would get it. But the “running up the score” came from back ups.

Also, a big portion of the Bills fan base actually do have a little bit of a soft spot for Miami with Fitz on the roster, especially with how well he has played for you guys. He’s an all time great human. I also like Chan as well, he’s no Fitz but still.

As a Bills fan, I wanted to see what we had in Barkley to see whether we need to upgrade at backup QB next offseason. We didn't have a preseason and he looked horrible in the Patriots game in relief. I rolled my eyes when Flores started calling timeouts down 30 points or so halfway through the 4th after a couple of running plays. I remember thinking mine as well throw it to keep our offense on the field if they're going to play that game.

I’m an occasional lurker and a Bills fan. I’ve never posted on an opponents fan board but this one spiked my interest. I come in relative peace.

This take is wild. Running up the score?! From a 1000 foot view, at what point is it on the Dolphins to stop back ups and PS players for a half in a must win situation? But seriously, we were rotating guys in in the 2nd half that had never dressed or played a snap ever.

Regarding the two big issues you guys have:

Allen just before the half: There are some real questions and worry that Barkley is a feasible back up in this league. To the extent that there was a real worry that we could score literally zero points for the rest of the game. I have no issues. Had we not we’d be giving the ball back at half up by only 2 possessions and unsure if we could actually score enough points. It was just a buffer to play the backups.

Barkley to Davis TD: That’s our back up QB throwing to a rookie WR4. That throw barely made it there. Regardless of score you pull the trigger on the right read everytime. Davis was the right read, at some point you have to stop the back up QB standing behind backup OL throwing to WR4 from making a play one on one. It shouldn’t be that hard.

In general, something to chew on, the back ups and PS players hung 28 points in a half on your starters in a game where you win and you’re in. Also CB1 and DE1 didn’t dress for this game for no other reason than getting some rest.

If Allen and Diggs stay in and there was an air raid I would get it. But the “running up the score” came from back ups.

Also, a big portion of the Bills fan base actually do have a little bit of a soft spot for Miami with Fitz on the roster, especially with how well he has played for you guys. He’s an all time great human. I also like Chan as well, he’s no Fitz but still.
I saw us blitzing the crap out of Barkley and our D ineffective so I have no problem with the scoring and as you mentioned starters were purged.You guys walloped us, no hard feelings I just hope we can battle hard the next decade and hopefully we come up on top ;)

Flores is 0-4 against McDermott. I’m sure Flo has all the motivation he needs to beat them next year, even without a blowout. Flo is a good coach.
Not gonna lie Flo's first season i thought wow they may have the best new coach in the division and he is a great coach he really does a good job

This is the reason. Happened last year against New England early in the season. We were getting blown out and they were content to run the ball. We kept calling time outs so Brady started chucking it down field to add to the embarrassment
I agree with this wholeheartedly. The Bills were content in running the ball but the Fins were stacking the line and Flo was using his TO's with 8 minutes to go and I thought "throw the football". Not try to score, but to back the D off and keep them honest. I have no problem with Miami continuing to play hard and stacking the line when they knew the Bills were running, but it doesn't mean the Bills need to stop playing. I honestly don't like seeing scores run up, but the Bill were just playing ball. Tre White didn't play, Jerry Hughes didn't play, Mario Addison didn't play, Ty Nseke didn't play, Cole Beasley was out, Josh Allen and Stefon Diggs only played a half and a guy we just called up from the Practice Squad (Antonio Williams) carried the ball most of the time. The backups that came in just played football, and they need to have some work before playoffs so why would the Bills not give them actual plays to run as opposed to just running straight ahead into a wall of defenders? Miami has had a great year and will be a damned good football team for quite a while!

Amen, brother.Just an old man here who has watched the Dolphins since George Wilson was the coach and I was a teenager... that 56-yard bomb just for s***s and giggles will not be forgotten. I agree with your sentiment entirely. That is what makes Shula the greatest of all time in my opinion. He would NEVER run up a score on somebody or kick a tee- hee drop-kick extra point like Bellicheat did to us. It's called class.
It wasn't for s***s and giggles... it was about Mia using TO's and stacking the LOS with over 8 mins in the game and the Bills had to back them off the LOS to keep them playing honest football. The Fins were still playing to win (as they should have), but should we have just quit playing? You may have watched football a long time so you should know better. Also, McDermott is ALL class, he didn't intentionally put up 56 pts (really 42 on offense), he played and finished a game, just like Miami.

BTW... Don Shula (Who is one of the greats AND always came across as all class) beat BUF 34-0 (scoring 13 in the 4th qtr) in '71, beat NE 52-0 in '72 (scoring 14 in the 4th qtr), beat BAL 44-0 in '73 (scoring 17 in the 2nd half), beat ATL 42-7 in '74 (scoring 28 in the 2nd half), beat NYJ 43-0 in '75 (scoring 17 in the 2nd half)... see a pattern? He just coached football.

Amen, brother.Just an old man here who has watched the Dolphins since George Wilson was the coach and I was a teenager... that 56-yard bomb just for s***s and giggles will not be forgotten. I agree with your sentiment entirely. That is what makes Shula the greatest of all time in my opinion. He would NEVER run up a score on somebody or kick a tee- hee drop-kick extra point like Bellicheat did to us. It's called class.

Shula would NEVER run up the score? Because he was too classy?

Dec 20th, 1970, Fins 45 - Bills 7. Two Miami scores in the 4th quarter, a 36 yard pass to Stan Mitchell from John Stofa and a 30 yarder from James Harris to Willie Grate.

It's pretty similar to this game, actually, though flipped around. Your Fins were a great team and put in subs and they still scored, still passing. The Bills only scored their 7 points in the last couple of minutes, after Shula had them put up 45.

Nothing wrong with winning by a lot. It's up to your team to stop it. Some day when the tables turn I'm sure the Fins will do it my Bills.

As to why, it might have something to do with how many games we were playing earlier this year where we tried to run out the clock by running and had to deal with onside kicks near the end of games.

Anyway, good luck in the offseason. My guess is that Tua will be a good one down the line. And Flores looks to me like a really really good coach, you guys are lucky to have him.

I hate getting embarrassed like that,but with how fast a script can flip, you need to bury your opponent. Anyone remember Indy - TB with Colts down 28-7 going into the 4th and winning. Don't give your opponent a chance to come back

Back
Top Bottom