Why did we go this route? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why did we go this route?

67Stang

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
If you look over the past several seasons, including last year we won a vast majority of our games when the OL was healthy. When healthy the OL still consistently ranked in the 20's.....but we still had a good enough team to win when the OL was healthy. This includes starting out 3-0 just last year. When you look around the league, there are not a bunch of dominant teams. To be one of the top 6 teams in the league, I do not feel like it would have taken much to get there.

BY FAR OUR BIGGEST ISSUE on this team has been the OL and lack of quality depth. Like I said above, when we field an OL that even approaches average, we won a very large % of our games. When the OL was injured as they were a lot, our depth has been a bad joke. So what do we do? We get rid of our one player who is worth a crap in the area of the team that has been the biggest issue for 7 plus years. I don't care what we got in compensation for him, because he was a proven player in an area that we have spent first rounders on in the past that did not work out. As a matter of fact if you go back to our #1 picks since 2000 minus Tunsil, I would not trade all of them for Tunsil.

We completely blew up a team that showed promise last year before the injuries and traded away about the only sure thing we have. I hope it pans out, but IMHO the actions we took were way over the top and we looked like a complete clown show out there. Also, what good is having all of this money in FA when the people who we want to add will probably not touch this place with a 10-foot pole based on the product we are showing on the field. I will say it once again, I hope it works out but the saying 1 step backwards to take 2 steps forward doesn't work when you took 20 steps backwards.

I will end on saying that I don't care who we draft at QB, we ain't winning jack until we field an OL that isn't a sad joke....and we got rid of the only dude worth anything.

Last edited:
If you look over the past several seasons, including last year we won a vast majority of our games when the OL was healthy. When healthy the OL still consistently ranked in the 20's.....but we still had a good enough team to win when the OL was healthy. This includes starting out 3-0 just last year. When you look around the league, there are not a bunch of dominant teams. To be one of the top 6 teams in the league, I do not feel like it would have taken much to get there.

BY FAR OUR BIGGEST ISSUE on this team has been the OL and lack of quality depth. Like I said above, when we field an OL that even approaches average, we won a very large % of our games. When the OL was injured as they were a lot, our depth has been a bad joke. So what do we do? We get rid of our one player who is worth a crap in the area of the team that has been the biggest issue for 7 plus years. I don't care what we got in compensation for him, because he was a proven player in an area that we have spent first rounders on in the past that did not work out. As a matter of fact if you go back to our #1 picks since 2000 minus Tunsil, I would not trade all of them for Tunsil.

We completely blew up a team that showed promise last year before the injuries and traded away about the only sure thing we have. I hope it pans out, but IMHO the actions we took were way over the top and we looked like a complete clown show out there. Also, what good is having all of this money in FA when the people who we want to add will probably not touch this place with a 10-foot pole based on the product we are showing on the field. I will say it once again, I hope it works out but the saying 1 step backwards to take 2 steps forward doesn't work when you took 20 steps backwards.

I will end on saying that I don't care who we draft at QB, we ain't winning jack until we field an OL that isn't a sad joke....and we got rid of the only dude worth anything.

I agree I thought if we upgraded from tannehill and kept building we were on track but most posters didn’t like gase eyes or how he yelled at Armando , or how he wore his hat.....so they are all in. Flores and Grier can do no wrong. They better get a hall of fame qb in draft because Flores is awful and Grier misses on most picks. The big problem is Grier. Fear the Grier. Lol. We are fearing him. Not anyone else

Nonsense. This team was on a treadmill of mediocrity always fooling people into the mindset of "if they could only fix this or only fix that" they would be contenders. The truth was that this team was never good enough at any position, especially QB, to ever be more than a middling team. This organization finally did what was needed in order to build the roster the right way by instituting an enema. Now, whether or not Grier is qualified to fill this organization with talent is a different story. Call me very skeptical, but he did the necessary and easy phase of the rebuild by stripping the roster of overpaid veterans and accumulating valuable draft picks. Mission one is to find a franchise QB now.

Major renovations were needed, i don't have a problem with it.

The thing that makes me clench my cheeks is Chris Grier is going to be doing the renovations.

When they traded Tunsil and Stills they received 2 ones and a second. Stills being a wash because we have many receivers who can do what he did. That leaves Tunsil. IMHO I think Miami gets a qb with one of the ones and a dominant LT with the other. That's not a bad deal in theory, but in real life, many things could go wrong.

The poster is absolutely correct
Building around young talent is the way to go
Tunsil was that
We had a good draft situation along with cap space coming and some level of respect
Lost all respect now

Major renovations were needed, i don't have a problem with it.

The thing that makes me clench my cheeks is Chris Grier is going to be doing the renovations.

Hits on a QB and it will be ok, he doesn’t he will be gone like Ireland and Spielman, who strangely are good now...hmm wonder why that is.

We need a QB...

I strongly disagree. This team was bad last year. We got lucky in close games against mostly weak teams. Missed FGs from opponents, the Miracle, injuries to key players on opposing teams, etc. I think last year's team was easily in the bottom 5 of the league.

I have no problem with cleaning house. Of course I, like many, at least assumed somewhat competent replacements. Like at least back up level quality play. This is much worse.

Tanks are just that tanks not rebuilds

Rebuild and tank are not the same

Embrace the tank

Why do people act like Tunsil was the only offseason move, when, in reality, he is the only move among many that netted us anything? Lots of players were released for no gain or worse replacements. I understand clearing cap money and getting picks, they chose to eliminate nearly anyone with talent just to insure the first pick. Too bad QB will be wasted while waiting for every other position to get filled with even a marginal player.

Nonsense. This team was on a treadmill of mediocrity always fooling people into the mindset of "if they could only fix this or only fix that" they would be contenders. The truth was that this team was never good enough at any position, especially QB, to ever be more than a middling team. This organization finally did what was needed in order to build the roster the right way by instituting an enema. Now, whether or not Grier is qualified to fill this organization with talent is a different story. Call me very skeptical, but he did the necessary and easy phase of the rebuild by stripping the roster of overpaid veterans and accumulating valuable draft picks. Mission one is to find a franchise QB now.

What I said was absolute fact based on wins and loses over the last several seasons. This is strictly your opinion, and that is fine but it does not take away from the facts of what I said about winning the majority of our games when the OL was not decimated with injury, including starting off 3-0 last year. We won games PERIOD with a healthy OL. The team that played today is several years from getting back to even were we were when we started last year.

What I said was absolute fact based on wins and loses over the last several seasons. This is strictly your opinion, and that is fine but it does not take away from the facts of what I said about winning the majority of our games when the OL was not decimated with injury, including starting off 3-0 last year. We won games PERIOD with a healthy OL. The team that played today is several years from getting back to even were we were when we started last year.

1. Tennessee - Both Mariota and Walker were knocked out of the game. Blaine Gabbert was the back up.
2. Jets - 4-12 team
3. Raiders - 4-12 team

Not much to write home about. The only games last year I thought the Phins looked solid were the Bears win, Pats wins and the Colts loss. But even then the Pats game required a last second miracle to win while the Bears game required overtime to win.

I agree that today's team is somehow monumentally worse (which I didn't think was possible (to this degree)). But I don't agree that last year's team was even close to ready to consistently compete with good NFL teams.

Back
Top Bottom