Why did we pick a Long Snapper at #185? Only issue I have with the Draft Picks. Does anyone else have any issues? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why did we pick a Long Snapper at #185? Only issue I have with the Draft Picks. Does anyone else have any issues?

Not smart to take long snappers in draft, well at least on paper but if he is long snapper for years to come you cannot argue with it.

We all complain about it, myself included, but the truth is he already seems to have a roster spot and if he pans out he should last and make more of an impact than most 6th round picks do. If you look at the names that went after our new long snapper I'm sure most of them will be out of the league in a two seasons.

I would say our picks were used for positions in the team there was a need for an upgrade. We covered every position in this draft outside WR and TE. We are in the best position talent wise at those positions so that's cool. Down the road though as we build the roster it will be more important to draft more on best talent available instead of need. That's how you build a real playoff super bowl team. Perry is now our new wildcat dude instead of Ballage imo.

My issue is I think you should be trying to get value in a draft. If you can get him in the 7th, don't take him in the 6th. I may be wrong in this, but I think we could have taken him with our last pick in the draft, but maybe Grier knows something I don't. My problem is that I don't trust him yet. If that was Ozzie Newsome taking him, I would have faith. Grier still is on "probation" to me.

if you look at the history of the best so called long snapper prospects in each draft a great majority do not even make an nfl team or stay in league.
In 2017 the steelers drafted Colin Holba in the sixth and givena solid contract. He did not make the team. he has bounced around and is currently a free agent.

Almost every top long snapper in the NFL went undrafted. The only exception is Zak Deossie but he was not considered just a long snapper and had tremendous athletic skills.
He had a great combine. No top longsnapper in the nfl was chosen in the draft or solely for that.

Getting the so called top rated long snapper over the past has not been a keen indicator of future success since more fail than succeed.
The history of drafted long snappers while small is pretty damn poor.

• Joe Maese, 6th round by the Ravens in 2001 played 4 seasons never a top guy
  • Ryan Pontbriand, 5th round by the Browns in 2003 2 times pro bowler played 9 seasons also was drafted as position player
  • Zak DeOssie, 4th round by the Giants in 2007 top longsnapper in game but was not drafted for this reason
  • Tyler Schmitt, 6th round by the Seahawks in 2008 never played a game
  • Jake Ingram, 6th round by the Patriots in 2009 bounced around league for three years
  • Joe Cardona, 5th round by the Patriots in 2015 has been with team since drafted. Not among best but consistent
  • jimmy Landes 6th round by lions in 2016 never played a game
  • Colin Holba 6th round Steelers in 2017 was cut by steelers played 18 games total for 4 diff teams
  • Hunter Bradley 7th round packers in 2018 still with team
  • Austin Cutting 7th round by Vikings 2019 still with team
Deossie like I said before was drafted as linebacker so in reality he is not part of the actual list.

So the only real success story is Ryan Pontibrand, Cardona is a success for being able to stick with team but is not considered among the best.
So regardless taking a long snapper or even find the best in college is meh results at best

Last edited:
Look, why did we love John Denney so much? Because for a million years he never made a bad snap that cost us a game.

Anyone recall the 1994 playoff debacle in SD? I do. We are in position for a GW Stoyanovich FG in the final seconds and whoops - the snap is so high that I have no idea how the holder even managed to get it down. By the time he did, Stoyo was on his approach and wound up kicking it w the timing so messed up the ball not only pushed right horribly, it only went about 25-30 yards. It was ALL on the snapper. I forget who it was back then - Ed Perry perhaps - but whoever it was CHOKED. These guys have to be perfect in clutch situations so at least we got the best one in the draft. After the ‘94 disaster I will never take that position for granted.

It’s not what I would do but whatever, whatta u you gonna do, obviously they ran out of players on their board,

Damn you just reminded me Miami’s punter is still Matt Haack. Wish Miami drafted a punter in the 7th instead of that Navy guy.

Damn you just reminded me Miami’s punter is still Matt Haack. Wish Miami drafted a punter in the 7th instead of that Navy guy.

well we could have went out and signed an undrafted guy and we didnt. I guess the team is happy with Haack

This thread is certified BNF worth!

...because snappa is worthy!

>>> keep it coming <<<

:lol:

The main thing I don't understand is we picked a long snapper when most teams never pick a long snapper in the draft and in the six round and not seventh. Six picks later the best Punter in the Draft at #191 was takened. Braden Mann was the pick and to the Jets of all teams. Punter would of been upgraded with Mann.
This was a position of need. We cut Denny who made a career of being a long snapper and had the second longest career with Miami (being surpassed by Marino). I was critical of this pick too at first but realized we are in need of a long snapper. I think there were a few mishaps last year. If he works out and has a 5 + year career with Miami,,,,, Good decision as special teams is critical to success.

Back
Top Bottom