Why did we take Roth? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why did we take Roth?

Keebler229

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I think hes a great player, but why did we take a DE in the 2nd round? We have Taylor and we got Holliday and Carter in free agency. so why would we need another DE? i think we could have used that pick somewhere else. someone explain to me why we got him and tell me if you agree

Keebler229 said:
I think hes a great player, but why did we take a DE in the 2nd round? We have Taylor and we got Holliday and Carter in free agency. so why would we need another DE? i think we could have used that pick somewhere else. someone explain to me why we got him and tell me if you agree
When an NFL coach goes into the draft he has this thing called a draft board and on that he has every prospect ranked in order of preference. Roth was the highest ranked player left on Saban's board.

Keebler229 said:

All three of those guys are about 30 years old.

Plus, there's a great chance that this guy will end up being a LB in a 3-4 type scheme. Think "Mike Vrabel".

i know all about a draft board and how the draft works. and i know Saban wanted to keep the Value of the pick above needs but shouldnt we have taken another position to help out sooner? i like roth but what kind of playing time will he get with holiday, taylor, and carter?

one word VALUE, if i'm not mistaken Holliday is signed to a one year deal, and it wont be extended. Matt Roth will learn the ins and outs this year and be a full time starter stud next year. excellent pick. oh and saban is going to use Carter alot at DT

Keebler229 said:
i like roth but what kind of playing time will he get with holiday, taylor, and carter?

I think he'll get in there a lot. I believe we'll see Kevin Carter inside A LOT. Saban likes his DTs to be able to penetrate. And that's something we've really lacked the past 5 years or so. Holliday is a reserve in the Jay Williams mold at this point.

Plus there's always injuries.

Muck said:
Plus there's always injuries.
that would probably be the key point, right there.

last year we lost both our DT's... so i guess you can never have enough DL's...

for the record i'm still not happy with that pick, although i can see why he did it.

Cap wise its a great move. Good DEs in FA are expensive. If Holiday and/or Carter play well, they will demand extensions on their two year contracts. If they play poorly, then we need a DE to play on the other side of Taylor. Its a win win. If all goes well, in two years we still wont want to re-sign these older DEs. We need youth in the front seven.

Also, even when we were considered a top defense, imo we were overrated. Getting abused at times when good offenses *needed* to move the ball on us because our offense was doing well in that particular game. Watch old games and you will see our defense play well when the other team was being conservative on offense because the game was a close scoring battle. When our offense scored a bunch our defense would crumble many times, giving up lots of points against good offenses.

Muck said:
Plus, there's a great chance that this guy will end up being a LB in a 3-4 type scheme. Think "Mike Vrabel".

I thought about this as well. However, I thought a read a quote about using Roth as an interort pass risher in certain situations, not a stand up pass rusher in the Vrabel mold. Though he certanly has the measurables for it.

all making good points, BPA, good and cheap, we will see him move to OLBand carter to end in a 3-4. and carter back inside and roth back outside in a 4-3.

when i see this guy, i see "pats type player" one of those Tweener LB/DE's like mcginest, phifer... we saw the pats use 5 of these guys in the superbowl playing at once..

i belive that timbo mite retire...and then well have carter take his place...have Taylor, Carter, Bowens, and Roth on the dline

All I know is I'm glad we don't have to play against Roth. I'm happy we got him. Fins are going to have a sick defense and a hugely improved offense.

Surferosa said:
I thought about this as well. However, I thought a read a quote about using Roth as an interort pass risher in certain situations, not a stand up pass rusher in the Vrabel mold. Though he certanly has the measurables for it.

I read or heard something like that too. Safe to say, they're going to address the interior pass rush, that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom