Why didn't we structure the Feeley trade like this? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why didn't we structure the Feeley trade like this?

Fin-Loco

Grilling Chicken Little
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
So, I was thinking about the RW trade we did with the Saints.

I got to thinking, For Feeley wouldn't the Phins have been better off if they'd offered a third round conditional pick for Feeley like we did for Sir. Smokeditup (Ricky) instead of just a secound rounder? The pick could have been based on yardage completed, third downs converted, TD's and Int's. The Eagles could have ended up with a first rounder at the end of the day so the deal would have been attractive to them. We would have either ended up with a pro-bowl caliber QB thereby giving up a 1st rounder ( I don't think any of us would have minded that if Feeley ended up being a pro bowl QB thereby having won a lot of games for us.) And if he ended up being a bust then we wouldn't be out much just a third rounder. Either way the Eagles got Fletcher and turned him into a tackling dummy.

Just curious why we didn't do it this way.

chargers got fletcher, unless your saying he wouldve been in your trade, but no boston!!! i think the front office jumped the gun knowing that the other qbs werent available and sent out an offer that no other team would match.

THere were also reports that he would be tendered with a first round pick, and the Eagles reportedly refused a second round pick for him last season from the Jets...

If I remember right, it was because we did not want to have it inevitably turn into a first rounder. Chris really felt he would reach most incentives as a starter...FWIW I agree with him. Better to give up a second rounder and have it be over, than risk a first just in case he sucks.

Also.. let's spin this another way...
We LEARNED something from the Ricky trade..... 1st round picks being given away to other teams EVENTUALLY depletes your team of adequate young stars (potential) to help offset your team's age/talent ratio.
I don't think Rick wanted to give ANOTHER 1st rounder to another team. Look at our recent drafts... look at the NUMBER and POSITION of our picks. We haven't had the luxury of having a full 1st day draft portfolio in YEARS. I believe this ultimately is why Rick didn't trade our #1 for a RB.
I believe Rick KNEW we needed a starting caliber QB (YOUNG) to compete with Jay. He didn't like the market and had to go sifting through rosters. When you do that... you have to start dealing out picks. I think #2 was his HIGHEST price he would pay.

It's not that I don't agree with the #3 escalating to a #1 idea... I simply believe Rick was not willing to part with a #1 AGAIN.

Let's not forget also.... in Rick's thinking... IF AJ doesn't pan out AND Jay is forced to start all year (if he can stay healthy).... we MIGHT have a so-so year..... MEANING.. our #1 could become a Top 15 or higher pick. And that's a NICE position to draft a franchise QB for YEARS TO COME.

xiidaen said:
THere were also reports that he would be tendered with a first round pick, and the Eagles reportedly refused a second round pick for him last season from the Jets...

Actually, I believe that the Jets offered a third, and the Eagles demanded a second. The Eagles seemed to be pretty set on getting a #2 pick for Feeley.

Philly got THIS YEARS second round pick, didn't they?

To offer a third that could go to a first, we would have been trading away a pick from the 2005 draft. I doubt Philly would have been willing to make a trade where they got nothing this year at all.

No, the Feeley pick was the 2005. The 2004 was sent to New England for the pick that became Wade Smith.

DolfanDaveInATX said:
No, the Feeley pick was the 2005. The 2004 was sent to New England for the pick that became Wade Smith.

I stand corrected...Or, sit corrected at least. :)

Back
Top Bottom