Why do athletes cheat? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why do athletes cheat?

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Floyd Landis, accompanied by his wife, was on the morning talk shows Monday, denying use of performance enhancing drugs.

"Floyd, did you cheat to win the Tour de France?" the 'Today' show's Matt Lauer asked.

"No, Matt, I did not," said Landis.

"Floyd, unquestionably, has a long uphill climb to restore his name and his reputation," says Alan Abrahamson, a sportswriter with The Los Angeles Times.

As do many athletes. Whether it's Barry Bonds, who claims he never used steroids, or runner Justin Gatlin, who also denies doping.Doping Agency has a list of over 100 banned substances. The athletes know they'll be tested for these substances over and over. So why risk getting caught?

John Hoberman, the author of "Testosterone Dreams" and a professor at the University of Texas, says for many it's a basic business decision.

"There are major financial incentives in some of our high profile sports, and doping is part of the price of doing business," he says.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14234026/

i have a hard time believing anybody here who saids they wouldn't do it. it's a nice thing to say but you're lying.

hey if i could take something that would make me earn millions of dollars, u know im taking it

Gaitlin/Bonds/Landis are three guys who are/were at the peak of their respected sports while using 'roids allegedly. I don't really follow cycling or track and field but just speaking about baseball players. I believe their are/were alot more guys taking 'roids or using HGH who were fringe major league players rather than the stars. Baseball gets alot of criticism but if people don't believe that alot of NFL players are taking performance enhancers they're simply turning a blind eye to a league that is run soo much better than MLB it's ridiculous. What do the NHL/MLB/NFL/NBA all have in common? None test for HGH but yet most fans only hear about MLB players taking performance enhancers.

its sad that he had to use it.but one thing i dont get is.if he is convicted then his title is stripped.does the second place guy get it

i dont understand the landis thing though... he has clean samples for every stage, then on the final one after hes declared the winner he has a dirty sample? and also the results were released much quicker than usual for them, and this is also from a lab that has been previously under suspicion for the things they do....

i dont know it all seems real fishy to me...

The reason athletes cheat is because of their mentality, they want to be the best. And they look for any competitive advantage

Just my opinion. I know wheneven I have played sports I always had a strong desire to be the best (although in my case I always have wanted to do it cleanly)

money
competitive advantage
desire to be the best

Theyre all valid reasons. But it kind of makes you wonder why someone who already is the best, like a Barry Bonds was even before he started ballooning, would do it? I mean youre already the best so why would you put your long term health at risk?

I could understand, though not necessarily agree, with why a mediocore bench player would do it having probably been the best player in his town/city his whole career and now being relegated to a backup. Thats a difficult ego hit for anyone to manage.

But for the life of me, I dont know why a player who is already elite, the cream of the crop, Bonds, Canseco, Giambi, Sheff, all all stars and in bonds and maybe sheff's case (and sheff has a very valid case since his stats arent much different from Winfields) already HOFERS would damage their body like that. I mean you already have all the god given ability to pound a baseball 450 feet and in cases like Bonds/Canseco and even Sheff who run well and were/are very athletic I dont see what further edge they needed. I played sports competitively in HS and tried to do the same in college and never understood it. Its important to succeed but when youre already succeeding there has to be a point you draw the line.

It's all about the $$$$.

A professional contract in any sport will pretty much make you set for life. So given the chance to cheat, many athletes decide it is worth the risk. :rolleyes2

arsenal said:
i dont understand the landis thing though... he has clean samples for every stage, then on the final one after hes declared the winner he has a dirty sample? and also the results were released much quicker than usual for them, and this is also from a lab that has been previously under suspicion for the things they do....

i dont know it all seems real fishy to me...

Yea its real weird, he got tested 17 times during the Tour and the test after he wins is the one that is bad. Iono,

Hmm why people cheat . . well I think first of all alot of people dont think it is cheating . . they just feel like its making them better. We live in a world where if u run a 4.3 and the other guy runs a 4.4, the 4.3 runner is "blazing fast" . . lol and he will get the number one draft money, while the 4.4 guy probably goes in the second round. Difference . . probably 50 million dollar or more. I mean I'm being vague, but this is what people think. Hey if somebody comes to u and tells u if u take this drug, u will go from a 10 homer guy to a 40 homer guy and make significantly more . . I mean, u would think about it, I know I would, especially knowing u wouldn't be the only one doin it.

Boik14 said:
money
competitive advantage
desire to be the best

Theyre all valid reasons. But it kind of makes you wonder why someone who already is the best, like a Barry Bonds was even before he started ballooning, would do it? I mean youre already the best so why would you put your long term health at risk?

I could understand, though not necessarily agree, with why a mediocore bench player would do it having probably been the best player in his town/city his whole career and now being relegated to a backup. Thats a difficult ego hit for anyone to manage.

But for the life of me, I dont know why a player who is already elite, the cream of the crop, Bonds, Canseco, Giambi, Sheff, all all stars and in bonds and maybe sheff's case (and sheff has a very valid case since his stats arent much different from Winfields) already HOFERS would damage their body like that. I mean you already have all the god given ability to pound a baseball 450 feet and in cases like Bonds/Canseco and even Sheff who run well and were/are very athletic I dont see what further edge they needed. I played sports competitively in HS and tried to do the same in college and never understood it. Its important to succeed but when youre already succeeding there has to be a point you draw the line.

I'll give ya Bonds and Sheff as elite players but I doubt the numbers that Canseco and Giambi have put up. I believe when Bonds broke some milestone maybe 400/400 nothing was really celebrated while he watch McGwire and Sosa with balloon heads being the talk of baseball fans so i'm guessing that has to play into it.

Back
Top Bottom