Why do so many people perform better when they escape the Dolphins? Simple, it�s a curse. By Armando Salguero | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why do so many people perform better when they escape the Dolphins? Simple, it�s a curse. By Armando Salguero

There's no curse. It's called ineptitude, laziness, and myopia. Throughout time since the early 80's, we have had a need on this team that we didn't address. With Marino, we didn't address the D or the running game. After Marino, we addressed both but didn't pony up for a blue chip QB in FA or 1st round. Then we got a QB and then the defense fell apart and we spent 20 years overlooking the O line. Point is, it's not a mystery to how we got here. It's certainly not a curse. If you don't prioritize talent and keep adding it, you get an untalented roster. Now sprinkle in 7 head coaches over 20 years and here we are.

There's no curse. It's called ineptitude, laziness, and myopia. Throughout time since the early 80's, we have had a need on this team that we didn't address. With Marino, we didn't address the D or the running game. After Marino, we addressed both but didn't pony up for a blue chip QB in FA or 1st round. Then we got a QB and then the defense fell apart and we spent 20 years overlooking the O line. Point is, it's not a mystery to how we got here. It's certainly not a curse. If you don't prioritize talent and keep adding it, you get an untalented roster. Now sprinkle in 7 head coaches over 20 years and here we are.

I agree with a lot you said. To add to it, this is the first year we saw how a staff can coach up players. We watched actual player development through the season. We witness how a team can look when they've bought in, and that allows us to imagine what can really happen when talent is added to the roster. This team has a long way to go, but you can see things in a different light now.

Was actually very interesting read

People did their jobs (O'Shea) and still left...

Flores has shown that he is an actual NFL head coach. He should be judged accordingly. Inclusive of these recent moves and next season's record, Flores doesn't get a reset button to present the same team-same record next season.
I should've clarified my thoughts were (player focused?) my bad. He did replace the OL coach early lol.
O'Shea did an OK job this year- i'm sure he was limited with his play calling due to lack of talent though.

At this moment- I fully trust Grier and Flores. I can see in Flores eyes, that he doesn't want to fail- Hes very cautious with his words.

One final thought: Shula managed this Team and Organization for so long. When the Shula era ended, the curse began. To me its as simple as we haven't had that Leader step into Shula's role yet.
Its been the blind leading the blind! There never was a curse, its called shitty business management.

We may not see greatness from the Dolphins this year- but I can smell it from a mile away.

Just when I thought that a beat writer couldn't reach any further for clicks...…. here comes good ole Armando.

As a Brit, I can't say I'm enamoured with US journalism/media. Although ours are not any better!

It’s because the Dolphins have been a Mickey Mouse organization for years now. It’s not just coaches. It’s front office management. It’s players.

To succeed, you need talent. That’s obvious. But talent alone doesn’t always win. Look at the Browns this year. You need legit coaches who can develop young players but also hold people accountable.....and that’s players, coaches, S&C staff, support staff, etc all the way down the line. On top of that you need players who are leaders and hold the locker room accountable. You need a Marino, a Brady, an Ed Reed, etc. This is why the Patriots have been so good for so long. Good organization, quality coaching, accountability throughout and leaders. This year we finally saw the offense lack enough talent that it got up with them.

Tannehill can win games with his physical talent but he’s not that type of leader. Philbin wasnt. Gase wasn’t. The front office wasn’t hiring the right guys, drafting the right players or signing the right free agents. It’s my biggest concern with some of the front office guys still in the organization......with the only positive being that Tannenbumm is gone.

It’s because the Dolphins have been a Mickey Mouse organization for years now. It’s not just coaches. It’s front office management. It’s players.

To succeed, you need talent. That’s obvious. But talent alone doesn’t always win. Look at the Browns this year. You need legit coaches who can develop young players but also hold people accountable.....and that’s players, coaches, S&C staff, support staff, etc all the way down the line. On top of that you need players who are leaders and hold the locker room accountable. You need a Marino, a Brady, an Ed Reed, etc. This is why the Patriots have been so good for so long. Good organization, quality coaching, accountability throughout and leaders. This year we finally saw the offense lack enough talent that it got up with them.

Tannehill can win games with his physical talent but he’s not that type of leader. Philbin wasnt. Gase wasn’t. The front office wasn’t hiring the right guys, drafting the right players or signing the right free agents. It’s my biggest concern with some of the front office guys still in the organization......with the only positive being that Tannenbumm is gone.

Article states front office management has moved on with a margin of success

We may not see greatness from the Dolphins this year- but I can smell it from a mile away.

Born and raised in New Jersey, but in this case I'm claiming Missouri...

Show Me....

Well, I think the coaching staff the team has had over the last 10 plus years is a big reason. Wrong choices, bad continuity etc.

Then there's the issue of the offensive line, which almost always is a major weakness for Miami, at least since around 2007.

Who knows what Tannehill might have done here, if the Dolphins had built up the offensive line.

Perhaps the team is finally on the right path with Flores.

Saban did get a Blue Chipper, by all measurable standards. Daunte Culpepper. However, turned out his injury affected his game a lot more than Brees' did. He never recovered from it. In Saban's case, it wasn't a lack of effort or desire to improve the team. It was simply the wrong choice, bad luck or a combination of both.

As good as brees is how many SB does he have.. the yr they won SB. They had a great team that yr. With great defense...

Its not a curse its bad ownership, bad coaching, bad scouting piss poor development

Mando is an idiot.

This is clickbait.

People move around in the NFL all the time. Some move on to success, before moving on again. Some move on, to just end up moving on again.

Mando is an idiot.

I read some of the article he picks a bunch of people literally doing nothing of substance.

tannehill you have a point. Landry is still producing but I didn’t see him in the article. Wes welker and on and on. There were also guys that disappeared like hartline, Bess etc.

bottom line, our organization is trash since ross has owned the team.

Back
Top Bottom