Why does everyone think this team is a project? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why does everyone think this team is a project?

FinsDontGiveIn

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I am usually sort of pessamistic when it come to the Fins but not this year. Has anyone noticed the player talent that has been assembled? Has anyone noticed the high pedegree coaching staff that is in place?(Thank's Wayne, you are truly my hero) We are a far better team than in 2004 and we went 10-6. I won't spell it out for you but think about the current roster and the depth we will have. Think about the team not having to rely on AJ to pull it out for us because nobody respects our running game. We have one of the best o-coordinaters in the game, not to mention some pretty damn good recievers. We will be three deep with good running backs. We have a lot of talent on defense that has been infused with youth and will be coached by one of the best defensive minds in the game. Like my hero wayne says "We will win now!" I honestly believe that this team has as much talent as anyone and will be legitimate SB contenders THIS SEASON!! Am I NUTS?

your nuts.....................ha.....had to say it...you tempted me.

It all looks good on paper.....we'll see.I could play the bad guy and say,(1) qb play is a question mark(2) depth at defensive tackle is a question mark(3) CB & S in our secondary is a question mark(4) OL needs to prove it can play well as a unit(5) left tackle is very wide open(6)

so, we'll see what happens, but a superbowl contender......yep.....you're nuts

Our DT's are huge question marks, our safeties are mediocre and we have a question mark at CB. Our OL is a mess and needs a lot of work. Anyone expecting a one year miracle is a fool (it took Houck 3 years to clean up San Diego's mess) and our QB is also a question mark especially if that line doesn't bolster up. We also have an unproven rookie starting RB (although he should do ok) and possible distractions with a Ricky return.

This team has a LOT of issues.

I just want to reinterate that this team was tough as hell in December last year. The O line played good, d played good, everybody played good.....In fact good enough to beat the world champions. We will be much better this season, so who's to say we can't win a lot? There is not much seperating us and the Patriots. Everyone will start to get the fever when we blow Denver off the field come September.

We certainly do have a very impressive group of skill position players, and if Ricky comes back anywhere near the level he was at in '03, we have a downright scary group of skill position players.

Additionally, I think Feely, with help from Ferrotte, will be a serviceable enough quarterback. People around the league laugh at A.J., but he is good enough to get the job done with the running game we can potentially put together.

HOWEVER, we still have alot of question marks.

First of all, the Offensive line. I loved the Stockar McDougle pickup, I think a change of scenery can make him a pro-bowl player. And we do have some nice players on the O-line. However, an O-line is a UNIT, and we still havent really figured out where everyone should play yet. Vernon Carey will be a great player eventually, but right now he doesnt even have a position. I have confidence in the staff to get the group organized, but it takes time.

I also dont think people really understand what is going on with our defense. Essentially, we are rebuilding the unit. As with the Offensive line, Saban has assembled some nice pieces. Roth, Crowder, and Travis Daniels are all going to be great players, but they are young. Plus, we are changing our system significantly, and it will take time for the vets to adjust as well. However, we have some very talented players in the front 7, and with Saban's scheme we will eventually become a dominant unit.

I am not as confident about the secondary. Madison is getting older, and we have alot of unproven corners after that. Poole is out for the year, Daniels is a rookie, and quite frankly Madison/Howard is a FAR cry from Madison/Surtain. I am extremely skeptical of our safties as well. Tebucky Jones is a solid starter, but I am not too excited about our prospects for the other safety spot.

The key word to all this is time. It will take time for our young players to develop, and for our O-line and front 7 to gell together. Saban has assembled some nice pieces, but we still need a couple more to complete the puzzle. I think we are a year away from the playoffs, but an 8-8 season is realistic.

FinsDontGiveIn said:
I am usually sort of pessamistic when it come to the Fins but not this year. Has anyone noticed the player talent that has been assembled? Has anyone noticed the high pedegree coaching staff that is in place?(Thank's Wayne, you are truly my hero) We are a far better team than in 2004 and we went 10-6. I won't spell it out for you but think about the current roster and the depth we will have. Think about the team not having to rely on AJ to pull it out for us because nobody respects our running game. We have one of the best o-coordinaters in the game, not to mention some pretty damn good recievers. We will be three deep with good running backs. We have a lot of talent on defense that has been infused with youth and will be coached by one of the best defensive minds in the game. Like my hero wayne says "We will win now!" I honestly believe that this team has as much talent as anyone and will be legitimate SB contenders THIS SEASON!! Am I NUTS?

You make good points, but in a sense we are a project despie all the +'s There are still holes that need to be filled. So yeah your nuts say Hi to Ricky for me, once you are in an insane asylum. Don't worry though there is a better chance of us going all the way next year.

FinsDontGiveIn said:

We are definitely legit. If AJ can't be a good to great QB, I think Gus would do quite well with an open offense and those great receivers. I think our offense is going to surprise a lot of people, and our defense has always been real good. I think I'm excited about this team as you are. When everybody gets on the bandwagon after the first 3 games, we'll know who called the great season, not the people who say "I think we'll win between 6-10 games". But then again, luck has A LOT to do with it (look at 2001, 2003, 2004 pats)

I agree we look good on paper, and we still have some possibilities out there personnel wise, but, we'll know better at some point early in the season... let's not put the cart ahead of the horse..

I'm sure it has a LOT to do with us being 4-12 last year. Eight times out of ten, a 4-12 team doesn't turn around and make a SB run. Couple that with a rookie NFL coach and that is the recipe for a terrible year. Damn, we're screwed!

Before last year we were pretenders. Last year we were exposed through a few unfortunate events. Now we are going through a systematic Re-tool/re-fit/Re-building. Call it what you will.At the present time we ARE NOT close to contendending for a Super Bowl. But the Pieces are being put in place. I was quietly a Saban Doubter. But if he was the CEO in a company i had/or didn't have Stock in I'd be throwing every spare expendable dollar into it. I'm hoping he's our Bill Gates. Living Viva La Saban Loca !

Nick Saban knows this team can win right now or he wouldn't have taken the job. Saban has won everywhere he has been lately. Wait and see. Da fins will be an exciting team that will be hard to beat.

Back
Top Bottom