Why draft O Line over WR? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why draft O Line over WR?

Why is anybody here listening to that idiot jets fan? of course he wants us to go corn once again. He doesn't want us to have any real playmakers on offense. Our O-line needs time to gel. It's to draft one more O-line guy but not at 6. That's be dumb. We didn't move back up to 6(by using a first round pick) just to draft an OT. We could have done that at 12.
IMO Smith or Waddle (potentially both) would have been available at 12. Every year people mock WRs coming off the board early and they tend to slide later in the first. CeeDee Lamb was drafted 17th last year and he was arguably the highest rated WR in the class. Jefferson, the 5th WR taken, out played Ruggs, Jeudy, Lamb and Reagor. Last year in particular the 1st round Alabama picks struggled to adjust to the level of competition in the NFL. The success they have in that program can be hard to match in the pros.

IMO Smith or Waddle (potentially both) would have been available at 12. Every year people mock WRs coming off the board early and they tend to slide later in the first. CeeDee Lamb was drafted 17th last year and he was arguably the highest rated WR in the class. Jefferson, the 5th WR taken, out played Ruggs, Jeudy, Lamb and Reagor. Last year in particular the 1st round Alabama picks struggled to adjust to the level of competition in the NFL. The success they have in that program can be hard to match in the pros.

Agree with a lot of this, but your framing of the Alabama receivers struggling to adjust to the level of competition is wrong. Ruggs was never very good. He was always a complementary player, but the Raiders are trash, so they made him WR1, because he's fast. Jeudy was smoking DB's as a rookie. When D. Butler asked X. Howard who his toughest matchups were in 2020, he cited Jeudy, which is not surprising if you watched Jeudy in 2020. Jeudy's problem is Lock is trash, and Jeudy isn't good in contested situations. But, no WR in the NFL suffered through more off-target throws.

Both Jeudy and Ruggs were exactly what they were at Alabama.

Agree with a lot of this, but your framing of the Alabama receivers struggling to adjust to the level of competition is wrong. Ruggs was never very good. He was always a complementary player, but the Raiders are trash, so they made him WR1, because he's fast. Jeudy was smoking DB's as a rookie. When D. Butler asked X. Howard who his toughest matchups were in 2020, he cited Jeudy, which is not surprising if you watched Jeudy in 2020. Jeudy's problem is Lock is trash, and Jeudy isn't good in contested situations. But, no WR in the NFL suffered through more off-target throws.

But does the fact Alabama is so stacked and the genius of Sark as an OC not give any cause for concern for these Bama kids? It does to me, 100%.

Jeudy was also hurt. I was including Tua and Wills in there as well. Kind of knocking the fact that Mac Jones might end up a top 15 pick, lol. The Ruggs pick was pretty terrible though.

Jackson was 100% overdrafted. I understand the pick because his age gives him plenty of time to develop. Hunt is not a NFL RT on a team with a left-handed QB. He could be an exceptional RG, but his footwork and athleticism leave something to be desired in a blindside protector. Kindley was a 4th round pick for a reason; conditioning will be an issue for him. As will a lack of athleticism in space. He played better at LG, and should probably replace Flowers there in the long term.

Sewell would be the best lineman on our team the minute we drafted him. From a potential standpoint alone, I don’t think any of the guys on our roster are even in the same ball park. They project as serviceable to reliable starters while Sewell could be bringing in Pro Bowls and All Pros.

Pre-injury i don't think you could have made this argument. Outside of the kid in Tampa he was easily having the 2nd best OL performance up until he got hurt.

Once he got hurt and came back he never really regained his form.

Talk about over drafted what about the kid(Andrew Thomas) for the Giants that got destroyed most of the season. He was draft like #4 overall.

Pre-injury i don't think you could have made this argument. Outside of the kid in Tampa he was easily having the 2nd best OL performance up until he got hurt.

Once he got hurt and came back he never really regained his form.

Talk about over drafted what about the kid(Andrew Thomas) for the Giants that got destroyed most of the season. He was draft like #4 overall.
He was like most peoples 3rd or 4th or 5th or something rated OT. Was surprised to see him be the first taken in 2020.

See if he's actually there at 18, but Tevin Jenkins makes a lot more sense for Miami. He's really good, an elite athlete, and a natural RT who has played RT. Instead of reshuffling your entire OL, you kick Hunt to RG, where he has a higher ceiling, and you just need a Center - or you need Skura to play well.

The idea is becoming more popular, so I assume most here have come across it, but your worst offensive lineman is more important than your best. It's a weak-link unit, and the difference between a good and elite offensive lineman is relatively negligible.

When you're drafting OL Top 10, you're paying for relative certainty, because, again, the difference between good and great isn't worth the difference in draft capital.

But, if you have good filters, and know what to look for, WR is just as likely to hit as OT in the 1st, and the difference between elite and good is much more significant at WR. Obviously, a lot of the NFL hasn't figured out what to look for in WR's. They draft guys who require too much projection, or they draft guys who have shown you exactly what they are (thinking of Ruggs) with the hope they'll be more.

So, it's not wrong to say that OL is a better bet in the 1st. It just lacks nuance.

Interesting way of looking at it. Also this would help the OL tremendously without shuffling everyone.

However it does make you wonder if the FO is okay with an OL that doesn't have Jessie Davis and Erick Flowers in the starting lineup?

But does the fact Alabama is so stacked and the genius of Sark as an OC not give any cause for concern for these Bama kids? It does to me, 100%.

It depends. At WR? No. Particularly in the SEC, where Alabama obv plays, you get to see these guys play against future NFL CB's in press coverage. The rest of the team doesn't impact how well D. Smith shakes press coverage. It impacts whether or not he gets the ball, but this type of tape directly translates to the NFL. It's as clean as OT and Edge projections. The rest of the team also doesn't impact how well they catch the ball or what they do with the ball in their hands after the catch.

For OL? Yeah, you might look better because you're playing next to other good CFB OL with NFL futures.

It's amazing how people haven't learn yet that we're never going to have 5 pro bowlers up front but yet they want to use a top 5 pick on that O-line and pass on a playmaker once again.
Since you put it that way (insulting to those of a differing opinions), Its amazing how ppl disregard the fact that WRs picked in the top 10 have, historically, been horrible return on investment. It's the epitome of going "need" over value.

To be fair, I'm not necessarily advocating taking Sewell either, as I think we need to give the young guys a chance to develop.

I just think the inflexible idea of we MUST take a wideout @6 no matter what, is total drafting for need given draft history as well as the specific recievers available and I don't like the philosophy.

It depends. At WR? No. Particularly in the SEC, where Alabama obv plays, you get to see these guys play against future NFL CB's in press coverage. The rest of the team doesn't impact how well D. Smith shakes press coverage. It impacts whether or not he gets the ball, but this type of tape directly translates to the NFL. It's as clean as OT and Edge projections. The rest of the team also doesn't impact how well they catch the ball or what they do with the ball in their hands after the catch.

For OL? Yeah, you might look better because you're playing next to other good CFB OL with NFL futures.
He is schemed open a lot, too..even if it isn't needed..and let me tell you, the whole SEC more or less sucked on defense last year, including Bama and Georgia when they played elite offenses, especially...so idk..it was a major down year on defense..I'll admit that. Not totally an excuse, but not a normal year by any means.

Regardless, for me, it is still:

1. Ja’Marr Chase
2. Jaylen Waddle
3. DeVonta Smith

Ja’Marr Chase dominated the SEC in '19 similar to what D. Smith did in a normal, non-pandemic, good/great SEC Defense year...can't be forgotten.

Jackson was 100% overdrafted. I understand the pick because his age gives him plenty of time to develop. Hunt is not a NFL RT on a team with a left-handed QB. He could be an exceptional RG, but his footwork and athleticism leave something to be desired in a blindside protector. Kindley was a 4th round pick for a reason; conditioning will be an issue for him. As will a lack of athleticism in space. He played better at LG, and should probably replace Flowers there in the long term.

Sewell would be the best lineman on our team the minute we drafted him. From a potential standpoint alone, I don’t think any of the guys on our roster are even in the same ball park. They project as serviceable to reliable starters while Sewell could be bringing in Pro Bowls and All Pros.
WOW, I had to check back to see if I wrote this and forgot about it. BINGO, I agree with absolutely everything you said. Jackson was a mistake pick based on them losing out on the OT they wanted when Tampa got him and then we panicked and made a terrible pick. Maybe with a true offseason he can be better but the same problem he had in college he had in the pros, (allowing players to cross his face at will).
I think Kindley is the best of the lot, and Hunt can be a very good OG on the right, but not a OT.

Sewell is awesome, but another player that I think may end up having as good a pro career at OT is Tevon Jenkins. His measurables are nearly as good as Sewell and he plays like his hair is on fire. Slater is not the 2nd best OT, not even close. To me he is another Hunt, can be a very good OG but his dinosaur arms will not translate to OT at the next level.

Back
Top Bottom