Why draft O Line over WR? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why draft O Line over WR?

He is schemed open a lot, too..even if it isn't needed..and let me tell you, the whole SEC more or less sucked on defense last year, including Bama and Georgia when they played elite offenses, especially...so idk..it was a major down year on defense..I'll admit that. Not totally an excuse, but not a normal year by any means.

Regardless, for me, it is still:

1. Ja’Marr Chase
2. Jaylen Waddle
3. DeVonta Smith

Ja’Marr Chase dominated the SEC in '19 similar to what D. Smith did in a normal, non-pandemic, good/great SEC Defense year...can't be forgotten.

DeVonta Smith also dominated in 2019, when he wasn't moved around as much. His game vs Stingley Jr is perhaps the best one game by a CFB WR when accounting for level of competition and what he was actually doing (beating press).

But, the overall defenses in 2020 don't matter. The CB play is what matters, and Smith faced some legit NFL CB's - Stingley Jr, Horn, Stokes, Joseph, etc..

I think Pitts or Chase will be available at 6. Atlanta will take a QB or trade to a team that wants one. Then taking T.Jenkins and C.Humphrey with the next two picks seals the deal for our oline for the next 4 years!

See if he's actually there at 18, but Tevin Jenkins makes a lot more sense for Miami. He's really good, an elite athlete, and a natural RT who has played RT. Instead of reshuffling your entire OL, you kick Hunt to RG, where he has a higher ceiling, and you just need a Center - or you need Skura to play well.

The idea is becoming more popular, so I assume most here have come across it, but your worst offensive lineman is more important than your best. It's a weak-link unit, and the difference between a good and elite offensive lineman is relatively negligible.

When you're drafting OL Top 10, you're paying for relative certainty, because, again, the difference between good and great isn't worth the difference in draft capital.

But, if you have good filters, and know what to look for, WR is just as likely to hit as OT in the 1st, and the difference between elite and good is much more significant at WR. Obviously, a lot of the NFL hasn't figured out what to look for in WR's. They draft guys who require too much projection, or they draft guys who have shown you exactly what they are (thinking of Ruggs) with the hope they'll be more.

So, it's not wrong to say that OL is a better bet in the 1st. It just lacks nuance.
Love LOVE Jenkins at 18. If we could get Pitts or one of the Bama WRs at 6, Jenkins at 18, Javonte Williams at 36 and Quinn Meinerz at 50, we would be right there with the Bills for the AFC East title. I am just afraid about half the league is counting on everyone else to not know enough about Jenkins and they all think he is gonna be there in the 2nd. He won't be, he is just too good.

Since you put it that way (insulting to those of a differing opinions), Its amazing how ppl disregard the fact that WRs picked in the top 10 have, historically, been horrible return on investment. It's the epitome of going "need" over value.

To be fair, I'm not necessarily advocating taking Sewell either, as I think we need to give the young guys a chance to develop.

I just think the inflexible idea of we MUST take a wideout @6 no matter what, is total drafting for need given draft history as well as the specific recievers available and I don't like the philosophy.
Couple of things here. First, I didn't mean for anybody to get insulted. Second, where these WR's go really matters almost as much as to where QB's go. Many times those WR's that get drafted high go to bad teams that are asking them to be #1 from day one. Sometimes those teams don't have a good QB. There are many reasons why sometimes it doesn't work.

As far as going WR being a "must".......I'd be fine with Pitts or any of the top WR's. I think even you'd agree that we need one or two guys that can make big plays. it was hard watching last year with all those short passes never going very far while other teams will hit the same 5 yard passes that would go 40 to 50 yards.

Last, all this stuff that you shouldn't draft for need imo is total BS. Teams draft for need all the time. Now I'd agree you shouldn't draft a guy like Charles Harris just because we needed a DE. I'm pretty sure we needed more than just that position so we could/should have gone a different way. As far as WR tho, there are some top playmakers that we can pick from at 6 and it'd not be reaching for one so I don't see the problem with taking a top player at a position of need. Chase/Pitts/Waddle are all ranked top 10 on most big boards so that'd not be reaching.

Let's just draft a first round O-Lineman every year...bound to hit on one of the big uglies..and never address the WR position..seems like a good idea. LOL

I get the sarcasm but you can't deny the sinking/falling of your entire team and it's relationship to the OL.

Hell just look at the recent SB.

Tampa had great OL play the entire playoffs and especially during the SB.
Look at KC and how they looked once Mahommes really had to start running for his life.

All of a sudden those great pass catchers etc didn't matter.

OL play is crucial to team success.

Last edited:
Love LOVE Jenkins at 18. If we could get Pitts or one of the Bama WRs at 6, Jenkins at 18, Javonte Williams at 36 and Quinn Meinerz at 50, we would be right there with the Bills for the AFC East title. I am just afraid about half the league is counting on everyone else to not know enough about Jenkins and they all think he is gonna be there in the 2nd. He won't be, he is just too good.

I'm honestly liking the way this sounds more and more everyday.

I think Pitts or Chase will be available at 6. Atlanta will take a QB or trade to a team that wants one. Then taking T.Jenkins and C.Humphrey with the next two picks seals the deal for our oline for the next 4 years!
Agreed but I would rather get one of the top 3 RBs at 36 if one is still there. There are 3 very good centers in Dickerson, Humphreys, or my favorite Meinerz who might be there in the 3rd rd. Dickerson is maybe the best but has injury issues, and Humphreys is the best communicator/leader. Would love to have either on the team, although after Pouncey a center with injury issues scares me.

I get the sarcasm but you can't deny the sinking/falling of your entire team and it's relationship to the OL.

Look at KC and how they looked once Mahommes really had to start running for his life.

Keep in mind KC was missing both their starting OT's in the SB

See if he's actually there at 18, but Tevin Jenkins makes a lot more sense for Miami. He's really good, an elite athlete, and a natural RT who has played RT. Instead of reshuffling your entire OL, you kick Hunt to RG, where he has a higher ceiling, and you just need a Center - or you need Skura to play well.

The idea is becoming more popular, so I assume most here have come across it, but your worst offensive lineman is more important than your best. It's a weak-link unit, and the difference between a good and elite offensive lineman is relatively negligible.

When you're drafting OL Top 10, you're paying for relative certainty, because, again, the difference between good and great isn't worth the difference in draft capital.

But, if you have good filters, and know what to look for, WR is just as likely to hit as OT in the 1st, and the difference between elite and good is much more significant at WR. Obviously, a lot of the NFL hasn't figured out what to look for in WR's. They draft guys who require too much projection, or they draft guys who have shown you exactly what they are (thinking of Ruggs) with the hope they'll be more.

So, it's not wrong to say that OL is a better bet in the 1st. It just lacks nuance.
Agree with the premise -
2 hurdles for me:

1. Can point to multiple weak links.
All positions showed some inconsistency
For ex. I thought at times to Oline played better with Kindley at LG. Maybe a true RT solidifies the right side and Kindley/ Flowers handle LG. Still questions at Center and need development at LT

2. Mental block of having to reinvest more assets to the OL. Last year we spent #18, #39, and 3 years 30 mill Flowers.
I’m waiting to see if some quality falls to #36- Darrisaw- Slater- Mayfield I think his name OT Michigan.

Same. Drafting 1st round Tackles inst exciting at all. But, it's smart.
But we took one last year. You won’t contend for a title if you just keep taking beef. We have no idea how good our young crop of linemen is yet.

Agree with the premise -
2 hurdles for me:

1. Can point to multiple weak links.
All positions showed some inconsistency
For ex. I thought at times to Oline played better with Kindley at LG. Maybe a true RT solidifies the right side and Kindley/ Flowers handle LG. Still questions at Center and need development at LT

2. Mental block of having to reinvest more assets to the OL. Last year we spent #18, #39, and 3 years 30 mill Flowers.
I’m waiting to see if some quality falls to #36- Darrisaw- Slater- Mayfield I think his name OT Michigan.

Food for thought

Also, remember that later rounds (2-4) has netted some of the best receivers currently playing.

Morning Penei. Just an aside. You instantly lose credibility when you post anything Greene.

Keep in mind KC was missing both their starting OT's in the SB
Exactly and one of them was Eric Fisher. No one talked about it that much but cmon - if those guys played, Mahomes has time to throw and it’s a different game. Since you can’t stash 1st round backups on the depth chart, you have to chalk that up to bad luck and **** happens. Doesn’t make more of an argument that we should take ANOTHER T in round 1 this year.

Why is anybody here listening to that idiot jets fan? of course he wants us to go corn once again. He doesn't want us to have any real playmakers on offense. Our O-line needs time to gel. It's to draft one more O-line guy but not at 6. That's be dumb. We didn't move back up to 6(by using a first round pick) just to draft an OT. We could have done that at 12.
So what guy did the move up for that is a sure fire hit?

You can't compare losing your two starting OTs going into SB to developing rookies. Redicilous comparison in my eyes.

Back
Top Bottom