Why get a DT in the 1st round | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why get a DT in the 1st round

Actually, you've got no idea if Holliday will be back or not.

Who cares about Keith Traylor? Opposing offensive linemen. When he was well rested and healthy he was a dominating Nose Tackle. We dont have anyone to replace him. We dont have anyone who can even effectively play the position.

yes but he is what 36 now and will be gone- we cant worry about him-and we have people in place-maybe not as dominant as he is but will be with time- our defense is fine we need to add a topflight DT like Indy needs to draft a top flight running back-Addai is not edge but he will do-or in other words Vickerson and Wright arent Traylor-but they will do-we need to work on the offense we need actual play makers instead of faking A** people who earn paychecks to score what 9 offensive points a game if we're lucky and mare dont miss- but according to you we have to stock up on more high-priced young defensive players because we can probably cause more turn overs and get better field position than drive down the field.....excuse my sarcasm i love your posts and i really do respect your opinion- i just disagree with you on this one

Because no one knows what the hell Rodrique Wright is going to amount to. Some people thought he was a 1st round pick, but the reality of the matter was he ended up being a 7th round pick and there are a bunch of reasons why swirling around.

Besides Matt Roth, every one of our "big" defensive linemen who have ever played a down in the regular season are either going to be 34+ years old, a FA this offseason, or both.

Keith Traylor will retire.
Kevin Carter might consider retirement.
Vonnie Holliday is a FA and looking to cash in.
Jeff Zgonina is a FA and 36 years old.
David Bowens, who is not a "big" DL but is also a FA.

Besides Jason Taylor and Matt Roth, that is our entire DL rotation.

Do you really think it's a stellar idea to use a bunch of 7th round picks to fill those spots?

Great Points! do remember, for what its worth, we will have Big dadyy wilkinson, for some reason didn't play that much this year, was awesome in the preseason. i would think he is traylor's replacement probably only for the next 2-3 years. Roth will replace carter and we'll finally se the "fruits" of the surtain trade. You are right, though, anytime you can get a sure fire BEAST you have to get him! just look at New orleans and reggie bush! that DT is a Monster! we still need to address so much though. CB, OLB, OT, OC, WR, DT, DE, ILB, RB some for depth obviously but corner, Ot and OLB are very pressing, I believe. another thing to remember about Rod wright is that there were many people "draft experts like kiper and the boys at sportingnews questioning his work ethic and lack of production his senior year. that maybe because of the injury but do you want him as a rook to be your starting DT???

If Evans, Vickerson, Wright, and Roth are all worthless and unable to step in next year if we lose a couple of our older DL, then Saban should be fired immediately, because he will have done jacks*** to build for the future.

I don't think that's the case. I think we try to keep Holliday and insert the younger guys. I don't know if any of them are pro bowlers, but I think they will be able to step up and keep the DL playing at a high enough level.

We need help on offense at all positions (minus RB), and maybe a CB if there are no other options.

I understand that we are a bit old at DT, but this offense has SO many holes. Picking DL #1 next year would be like Wanny picking Fletcher when he had holes at about every offensive position. He if does go DL, he better hope he finds the next Reggie White.

Agreed,We got alot of holes on Offense.We need a Playmaker at WR,LT, even a QB maybe.Depending on free agentcy,If we use our first round pick on Defense,Im going to be Very dissapointed.

Agreed,We got alot of holes on Offense.We need a Playmaker at WR,LT, even a QB maybe.Depending on free agentcy,If we use our first round pick on Defense,Im going to be Very dissapointed.

I think we have other needs as well...but depending on who we release or signs elsewhere this can change. Saban has taken several DE/DT players in the draft but only Roth (2nd round) is 1st day guy. All others (M. Wright (5th), Vickerson (7th), Evans (7th), and R. Wright (7th) are hope-fors. While I would like to find and believe we have a diamond in this rough, it isnt out of the question to draft a big body DT (nose type) on day 1 this year. Not round 1 necessarily, but another rd 2 or 3 guy????

Again, lets see who is released, who is kept, and maybe signed, and we go from there. But both Wrights, Vickerson, and Evans are quesses at this point and not NFL measurable just yet.

Its hard to say we have DL solved if we lose Carter, Bowens, Wilkinson, Traylor, Holliday, Zgonia this offseason.

We have 100 defensive lineman. our offense is the worst in Dolphin history. If Branch is there and he's that damn good, then we should be able to trade down and get more picks. That's been our main problem for so many years, we never stockpile draft picks. We need numbers, gimme numbers.

Back
Top Bottom