Why get a DT in the 1st round | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why get a DT in the 1st round

C

chada456

I thought we got a "steal" in the draft with DT Rod Wright who was predicted to go in the late 1st round last year... So if hes gonna be ready to go next year, why then are many people saying we should get Branch with our 1st pick... I say Oline (if Joe Thomas is on the board), CB, or an offensive playmaker (QB or WR)

ha ok? OOOOR since we have a gazillion above average Dlinemen, why dont we strengthen a weakness liiiiike our pathetic Secondary or our lack of blocking on the Oline or our lack of playmakers on offense... People who want Branch just want to strengthen a strength

I thought we got a "steal" in the draft with DT Rod Wright who was predicted to go in the late 1st round last year... So if hes gonna be ready to go next year, why then are many people saying we should get Branch with our 1st pick... I say Oline (if Joe Thomas is on the board), CB, or an offensive playmaker (QB or WR)

Because no one knows what the hell Rodrique Wright is going to amount to. Some people thought he was a 1st round pick, but the reality of the matter was he ended up being a 7th round pick and there are a bunch of reasons why swirling around.

Besides Matt Roth, every one of our "big" defensive linemen who have ever played a down in the regular season are either going to be 34+ years old, a FA this offseason, or both.

Keith Traylor will retire.
Kevin Carter might consider retirement.
Vonnie Holliday is a FA and looking to cash in.
Jeff Zgonina is a FA and 36 years old.
David Bowens, who is not a "big" DL but is also a FA.

Besides Jason Taylor and Matt Roth, that is our entire DL rotation.

Do you really think it's a stellar idea to use a bunch of 7th round picks to fill those spots?

if we go with defense in the first round, we are in trouble again next year.

we also have Fred Evans and Kevin Vickerson... Wrights only reason for going in the 7th was bc of the undisclosed shoulder injury... He'll be fine and what a steal he will be... I believe a shutdown corner right now is more important than a DT, bc whatever weakness we may have at DT next year, we will be okay because of our Linebackers (hopefully we add another one in FA) closing the run gaps

holliday will be back-who cares about traylor and yes we have rod wright and vickerson and YES we need offensive help BADLY or have any of you seen us average 25 points a game this season

if we go with defense in the first round, we are in trouble again next year.

not really. This year's FA is also a deeper pool, so we're probably putting a lot into who we can sign. But where we'll be drafting, D might be BPA. Plus our D is not without holes.

Alan Branch is a great DT prospect, he played DE as a sophomore, and as a senior in High School returned 8 punts for TDs as a 320 lb return man. He's 6'6 330, he towers over any of our DTs under contract (which are Evans,Vickerson, and Rod/Manny[?] Wright) and he gets great penetration.

We've got to go PBA this year, whether it be Leon Hall,Pat Willis, Brian Brohm, Reggie Nelson, or somebody else. I think last year we picked 2 guys that were BPA; Hagan and Wright. Everybody else I think we kind of reached for (but I think all of them outside of Aromashadu will have an impact next season)

If it comes down to those players mentioned, we gotta jump on Brohm although I think he wants one last chance to win the big one next year. Nelson- no, u dont draft safeties in mutliple years . plus the emergence of Y. Bell has that question answered. I like Leon Hall, or for a change Ted Ginn. the guy is EXPLOSIVE

we also have Fred Evans and Kevin Vickerson... Wrights only reason for going in the 7th was bc of the undisclosed shoulder injury... He'll be fine and what a steal he will be... I believe a shutdown corner right now is more important than a DT, bc whatever weakness we may have at DT next year, we will be okay because of our Linebackers (hopefully we add another one in FA) closing the run gaps

What about Fred Evans and Kevin Vickerson? Fred Evans had a pretty good preseason and has yet to see a single NFL snap. Kevin Vickerson got hurt halfway through last preseason, and was invisible this preseason, and has yet to see a single NFL snap.

And no, Rodrique Wright's only reason for going in the 7th round was NOT the shoulder. High profile, big name players do not drop 6 1/2 rounds because of an injury that the player didnt even know he had. Sorry, that just isnt reality.

Phinsoldia said:
holliday will be back-who cares about traylor and yes we have rod wright and vickerson and YES we need offensive help BADLY or have any of you seen us average 25 points a game this season

Actually, you've got no idea if Holliday will be back or not.

Who cares about Keith Traylor? Opposing offensive linemen. When he was well rested and healthy he was a dominating Nose Tackle. We dont have anyone to replace him. We dont have anyone who can even effectively play the position.

Because no one knows what the hell Rodrique Wright is going to amount to. Some people thought he was a 1st round pick, but the reality of the matter was he ended up being a 7th round pick and there are a bunch of reasons why swirling around.

Besides Matt Roth, every one of our "big" defensive linemen who have ever played a down in the regular season are either going to be 34+ years old, a FA this offseason, or both.

Keith Traylor will retire.
Kevin Carter might consider retirement.
Vonnie Holliday is a FA and looking to cash in.
Jeff Zgonina is a FA and 36 years old.
David Bowens, who is not a "big" DL but is also a FA.

Besides Jason Taylor and Matt Roth, that is our entire DL rotation.

Do you really think it's a stellar idea to use a bunch of 7th round picks to fill those spots?

It's not everybody... what about Big Daddy Dan Wilkinson?
"Bad replies get 1 star... if you have 1 star, you had a bad reply!":tongue:

What about Fred Evans and Kevin Vickerson? Fred Evans had a pretty good preseason and has yet to see a single NFL snap. Kevin Vickerson got hurt halfway through last preseason, and was invisible this preseason, and has yet to see a single NFL snap.

And no, Rodrique Wright's only reason for going in the 7th round was NOT the shoulder. High profile, big name players do not drop 6 1/2 rounds because of an injury that the player didnt even know he had. Sorry, that just isnt reality.

Actually, you've got no idea if Holliday will be back or not.

Who cares about Keith Traylor? Opposing offensive linemen. When he was well rested and healthy he was a dominating Nose Tackle. We dont have anyone to replace him. We dont have anyone who can even effectively play the position.

If Evans, Vickerson, Wright, and Roth are all worthless and unable to step in next year if we lose a couple of our older DL, then Saban should be fired immediately, because he will have done jacks*** to build for the future.

I don't think that's the case. I think we try to keep Holliday and insert the younger guys. I don't know if any of them are pro bowlers, but I think they will be able to step up and keep the DL playing at a high enough level.

We need help on offense at all positions (minus RB), and maybe a CB if there are no other options.

I understand that we are a bit old at DT, but this offense has SO many holes. Picking DL #1 next year would be like Wanny picking Fletcher when he had holes at about every offensive position. He if does go DL, he better hope he finds the next Reggie White.

Why go for a DT? Hm, it could arguably be if not the, one of the most integral pieces for the 3-4 to work effectively. With Wilkinson being invisible this year and being 34 next year, we need to inject youth into our front seven, in particular the d-line rotation. This year's draft is NOT deep at NT, it has some decent DT prospects, but Branch is the only true NT in the first two rounds that would be ready for an immediate impact.

For those who argue for WR/CB help, this draft is deep in both.

For O-line help, this class has Joe Thomas...and well, Joe Thomas. It looks like both Long and Baker are staying in school.

I agree with you mostly, but there is no guarantee Holliday will be back with us next year. In that case Carter slides over to assume Vonnies spot and Bowens and Roth will battle it out for Kevins spot. I am okay with this scenario, if it allows us to sign a key free agent or two. I know Houck can do wonders with OL, but certainly the level of talent available to him on our line is mediocre at best. I would like to see some resources spent on improving it.

Back
Top Bottom