Why has Orton dropped so much? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why has Orton dropped so much?

Bumrush

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Ok guys, I have been around here a long time, but will admit up front then when it comes to the draft my knowledge is very weak. I watched Orton play 2 years ago and many people on this board were enamored with him, I even recall a few posts discussing picking him up as QB.. Why the shift??

In some of the boards i've seen he was rated as a late 2 early 3rd rd. So yes he has slipped some. Also Mcpherson who some draft gurus had going 2 or 3rd round base on his upside.

he has a bad delievery when throwing the ball.

Can get by with it in college, NOT in the NFL

I think that the reason he dropped so far was his inconsistency in his senior season. He's pretty slow, even for a QB, and that may have affected his draft standing. I personally think that if Saban wants a QB, this should be the guy he looks at, not the others left. It would be a great pick in the event Saban decides that Feely is not the long term solution at QB.

MikeO said:
he has a bad delievery when throwing the ball.

Can get by with it in college, NOT in the NFL

Didn't a lot of scouts say the same thing about Rivers last year?

I dont think hes dropped any. This is around were he should be going. Hes not very mobile, and has a long delivery.

He has a gun for an arm but unfortunately it takes too long to load it because he has an elongated throwing motion.

He's immobile, doesn't keep himself in shape, is inaccurate on throws over 15 yards, throws behind receivers, was mediocre to bad his first 3 years, was bad against good teams his senior year, was embarassed by Rodgers and Greene at the college all star challenge, played terribly in the senior bowl, etc.

Orton has no upside and will be a career backup (a short career at that).

I hope we get Orton. I don't see him as a back up in the league at all.
Some of those funadamentals you are talking about can be taught.
Like teaching Alex Smith how to work from center for example.

I think he belongs in the second day. I personally didn't like alot of his throws at the senior bowl and hes not really mobile.

Finlandia said:
I hope we get Orton. I don't see him as a back up in the league at all.
Some of those funadamentals you are talking about can be taught.
Like teaching Alex Smith how to work from center for example.

You can't teach Orton to be mobile, you can't teach him to not be lazy, it will be difficult to teach him to throw NFL passes accurately, and his delivery and lack of experience under center needs a lot of work. Orton had a few good games at the beginning of his senior year against some of the worst teams in the country and some people think he can play.

General Tso said:
You can't teach Orton to be mobile, you can't teach him to not be lazy, it will be difficult to teach him to throw NFL passes accurately, and his delivery and lack of experience under center needs a lot of work. Orton had a few good games at the beginning of his senior year against some of the worst teams in the country and some people think he can play.

I dont know what you are watching but he was one of the most accurate passers in college football. This guy throws a frozen rope through holes that most QB's cant get through. He had a bad season with a injury this year, he has all the qualities to be a pro in the NFL, he might need to fine tune some things but the guy has skills. Unless you actually watched him play game after game I can see where your openion might be tainted by only watching a couple games. But if you only see Feeley play the Nat. televised games last year you wouldnt think he could ever be a starter in the NFL. Everybody is as down on Orton this year as they where on Brees when he came in, because he was too small and product of the system and so on....

I hope we take him today!!!!

General Tso said:

he only threw 5 int. for the season. the 2nd half of the season he played some of the best defences in the nation. about the mobile he did not get sacked alot he know how to get rid of it.

Shamboubou said:
I dont know what you are watching but he was one of the most accurate passers in college football. This guy throws a frozen rope through holes that most QB's cant get through. He had a bad season with a injury this year, he has all the qualities to be a pro in the NFL, he might need to fine tune some things but the guy has skills. Unless you actually watched him play game after game I can see where your openion might be tainted by only watching a couple games. But if you only see Feeley play the Nat. televised games last year you wouldnt think he could ever be a starter in the NFL. Everybody is as down on Orton this year as they where on Brees when he came in, because he was too small and product of the system and so on....

I hope we take him today!!!!

Brees and Orton both played at Purdue, the comparisons stop there. Brees isn't completely immobile, he's not lazy, he didn't only have a few good games during his senior year against bad teams.

Saban and Linehan are smart, they won't waste a pick on Orton.

Back
Top Bottom