Why Henson makes so much sense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Henson makes so much sense

PhinfanBo1

Scout Team
Reaction score
First of all, in terms of "tools" this guy is the complete package. He is 6-3 215 pounds, a good athlete, and has a very strong arm with good mechanics, a quick setup and a quick delivery. He comes out of Michigan which does a great job of developing quaterbacks; he's been noted for his leadership skills and ability to be a strong field general. Of course, there is a lot to his game that needs work, and the perfect scenario would have been to see him return for his senior year, have another strong campaign and then move straight to the NFL. But that isn't even an issue because that would have made him a sure fire top 5 pick, and we did not have the assets to attain such a pick, nor to pay him a double figure signing bonus. He is our best chance to get a franchise caliber quaterback who is still young, without giving up a fortune and still being able to improve our team right now.

You draft Phillip Rivers and you get a less talented, but much more polished player and you have to give up your only pick in the first two rounds; unless of course you want to give up a 26 year old defensive end who just led the conference in sacks and has 25 sacks over the past two years. You pick up Henson, let him learn under Trestman while watching Brunell and getting pointers from Marino, and make him your guy in a couple of years. Keep the first rounder, maybe move down to get a later first and a second, and get a guy like Max Starks. Then take a receiver in round 2. This is the move that this franchise needs to make.

Looks like you read one of my 8 million posts saying why i'd rather henson over rivers. :clap:

Originally posted by PhinfanBo1
First of all, in terms of "tools" this guy is the complete package. He is 6-3 215 pounds, a good athlete, and has a very strong arm with good mechanics, a quick setup and a quick delivery. He comes out of Michigan which does a great job of developing quaterbacks; he's been noted for his leadership skills and ability to be a strong field general. Of course, there is a lot to his game that needs work, and the perfect scenario would have been to see him return for his senior year, have another strong campaign and then move straight to the NFL. But that isn't even an issue because that would have made him a sure fire top 5 pick, and we did not have the assets to attain such a pick, nor to pay him a double figure signing bonus. He is our best chance to get a franchise caliber quaterback who is still young, without giving up a fortune and still being able to improve our team right now.

You draft Phillip Rivers and you get a less talented, but much more polished player and you have to give up your only pick in the first two rounds; unless of course you want to give up a 26 year old defensive end who just led the conference in sacks and has 25 sacks over the past two years. You pick up Henson, let him learn under Trestman while watching Brunell and getting pointers from Marino, and make him your guy in a couple of years. Keep the first rounder, maybe move down to get a later first and a second, and get a guy like Max Starks. Then take a receiver in round 2. This is the move that this franchise needs to make.

First of all.....I want to start by saying the O-gun deal is a non-issue. It would be in the best interest of the dolphisn to let him go for a first round pick (and 3rd if do-able). We can NOT afford to keep him, at best he's here for another year, then leaves and we get NOTHING in return. We can't afford it, remember we still have to resign Chambers before next season is over, or he'll be a UFA...that would be bad. I love the kid, but the money's not there, we need to let him go, and take what we can get for him.

Next, I don't know about Henson. I haven't seen enough of him to make an educated analysis, but I'm wondering what has he done that RIvers hasn't? Rivers has a much longer track record with which to guage his playing ability. That, and he loves football, as opposed to Henson who would drop us in a heart beat if he could go back to MLB for some real money. I'm not saying hes not a better athlete and all, but I'm worried about his dedication to football, and maimi as a team, as well as his short one season wonder. Not knocking the guy, but with 2 firsts this year, I'd rather grab Rivers and a WR and keep next years first than give up next years first, and have 2 firsts this year. 3 firsts is better than 2.

Re: Re: Why Henson makes so much sense

Originally posted by Graythreat

First of all.....I want to start by saying the O-gun deal is a non-issue. It would be in the best interest of the dolphisn to let him go for a first round pick (and 3rd if do-able). We can NOT afford to keep him, at best he's here for another year, then leaves and we get NOTHING in return. We can't afford it, remember we still have to resign Chambers before next season is over, or he'll be a UFA...that would be bad. I love the kid, but the money's not there, we need to let him go, and take what we can get for him.

Next, I don't know about Henson. I haven't seen enough of him to make an educated analysis, but I'm wondering what has he done that RIvers hasn't? Rivers has a much longer track record with which to guage his playing ability. That, and he loves football, as opposed to Henson who would drop us in a heart beat if he could go back to MLB for some real money. I'm not saying hes not a better athlete and all, but I'm worried about his dedication to football, and maimi as a team, as well as his short one season wonder. Not knocking the guy, but with 2 firsts this year, I'd rather grab Rivers and a WR and keep next years first than give up next years first, and have 2 firsts this year. 3 firsts is better than 2.

I agree 3 first is better than 2, and I see this year's draft (if we can get Henson for next years 1st round pick) as a 3 first round talent opportunity. Think about it a second. Get Henson, already have the #20 pick, and another 1st round pick for Ogun.

I'm not worried about Henson going off to play baseball...he's seen his future with the little ball and its not good. He made some quick cash and is ready to settle into the NFL career.

The idea of Henson, Carey, AND Clayton is awesome imo. ESPECIALLY since there's still good talent in round 3 and we have 2 picks there. Building for the future while contending at the same time with Brunell.

I'm on the Henson bandwagon as much as I was on Boldin's last year.

Re: Re: Re: Why Henson makes so much sense

Originally posted by NavyFishFan
The idea of Henson, Carey, AND Clayton is awesome imo. ESPECIALLY since there's still good talent in round 3 and we have 2 picks there. Building for the future while contending at the same time with Brunell.

:drool:
& I might even trade down with one of those picks to get some more.

Originally posted by Gladsadmad
If Henson is a good as everyone thinks..I hope this quote is incorrect..

Chris Mortenson -- "Several sources tell me that Henson will play pro football in 2004 and that he has targeted the Steelers as a preferred choice."

http://espn.go.com/chrismortensen/s/2003/1114/1661573.html

The article is old though and there has be rumors that Pitt is trying to move up to the #1 pick becaus they are not intrested inRivers or henson. One rumor was there first, third and Burress. I think if this is True SD will take this and pick rivers at 11 cause Stontinhiemer is said that he likes rivers a lot. So it may be very important to trade for Henson

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why Henson makes so much sense

Originally posted by SMadison29

:drool:
& I might even trade down with one of those picks to get some more.

Or that even. Nothing wrong with dropping a few spots and snaggin a 2nd round pick for free...especially with the depth at WR.

Trading down is nine times out of ten the better option IF someone else is willing to trade up AND give us value for our picks. The problem is, most teams realize it's better to trade down than up usually and are starting to horde their picks instead of wheeling and dealing.

The occurence of getting a Chambers though keeps the trade up alive.

Originally posted by PhinsmissedFG
Trading down is nine times out of ten the better option IF someone else is willing to trade up AND give us value for our picks. The problem is, most teams realize it's better to trade down than up usually and are starting to horde their picks instead of wheeling and dealing.

The occurence of getting a Chambers though keeps the trade up alive.

The Pats are a perfect example of hordeing picks.

Look where it got them.

Back
Top Bottom