Why I think Minor could be a top 10 top 15 back this year... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why I think Minor could be a top 10 top 15 back this year...

Wildbill3

Onion Fetish
Club Member
Reaction score
Sources:
http://www.sportsfansofamerica.com/Links/Football/NFL/Draft/2001/Positions/rb.htm - 2001 draft top rbs

http://www.footballguys.com/04yudkin_top5rb.htm - very well thought out study of top 5 rbs for the last decade. MUST READ!!!

In the bottom articles the guy pulls together stats and other about the top 5 running backs from each year, and makes an average about it. right now Minor fits the mold on everything (ave wise) except team support, and weight. I also threw in the draft 2001 rbs stats just to show that trading for A-train or buckhalter might not be an actual upgrade over Minor.

Here are some interesting tidbits from the articles:

Average Age: 25.4 years old
Average Height: 5'11"
Average Weight: 220 lbs
Average Seasons Played: 4.28 Seasons
Average Draft Pick: 3rd Round, 11th Pick
Average Overall Draft Pick: 74.7th Player Taken

Number of Seasons as a Top 12 RB (Fantasy RB1) BEFORE First Top 5 Season:
Not Applicable: 8 players
None: 9 players

Top 5 RB with Top 10 QB, WR1 & WR2
Only two teams have done it in the past 10 years: the 1998 49ers and 1995 Lions.

Defense (Points Allowed)
Top 5: 9 times (18%)
Top 10: 17 times (34%)
Top 20: 36 times (72%)
Not Top 20: 14 times (28%)

Average Team Wins: 9.8 Wins -very big indeed, after all what is the point of having an awesome running back if you don't have the wins to back it up?

and for the running backs we are thinking of getting, I don't see one of the possibles on this list that I want more than Minor.

Rank Player Name / School Height Weight 40 yd. Dash
1 Deuce McAllister, Mississippi 6-1 222 4.40
2 Michael Bennett, Wisconsin 5-9¼ 207 4.42
3 LaDainian Tomlinson, Texas Christian 5-10¼ 221 4.41
4 LaMont Jordan, Maryland 5-10¼ 234 4.33
5 Travis Henry, Tennessee 5-9 223 4.55
6 Anthony Thomas, Michigan 6-1 ½ 229 4.59
7 Kevan Barlow, Pittsburgh 6-1 235 4.57

10 Travis Minor, Florida State 5-10 197 4.44
11 Rudi Johnson, Auburn 5-9 ½ 227 4.71
12 Derrick Blaylock, Stephen F. Austin 5-9 ¾ 194 4.34
13 Correll Buckhalter, Nebraska 5-11 ½ 225 4.56

16 Marcel Shipp, Massachusetts 5-10 ½ 222 4.72

I left out the names that I thought had no bearing, and or were out of football.

I'm a big FSU fan and I saw every game Minor played in college. You want my analysis?

Pros: He's a smart player with good hands. He is steady, harder to bring down then you think and fairly durable for his size.

Cons: Never turned into a game breaker. Didn't show the raw speed or break away ability people thought he had. When he replaced Dunn, people thought he might be better. Turned out to be a good player, but not a memorable one.

If things break right, Minor is another Warrick Dunn or Charlie Garner.

phunwin said:
If things break right, Minor is another Warrick Dunn or Charlie Garner.

That's just not true. Minor is small, but that's about the only thing he has in common with those guys.

Minor is a between the tackles runner that will wait for the blocking to develop and then work ahead for yardage. He's not flashy like Dunn and he does not look to swing outside 90 percent of the time like Garner.

He will never hold up given teh same number of carries as ricky. But I think there is no way he can be a top 10 running back. I think he will surprise fans of other teams with how well he does, but I highly doubt he get into the top 10.

top 10 ?

Sure he could, or he might not... The point is he has most of the points according to link number two to be very productive for us, at least as much as some of the other possiblities that are being thrown around. What has he done to prove he can't be top 10?

Let's give our boy a chance.

uh two words for you....Ladanian Tomlinson..you wouldnt want him over Minor?

"...Of the possibilities"

He isn't a possibility, so while I would love to have him (insert seau comment here) I just left him on the list to for comparisons sake.

*_*ADMIRAL*_* said:
uh two words for you....Ladanian Tomlinson..you wouldnt want him over Minor?
Uhhh...Of course we'd want Tomlinson! He's considered by many to be THE best running back today! However We don't even have to make that choice! So whatdoes that have to do with anything?

How about giving Konrad more carries and doing something similar to TB during their Dunn/Alstott days? For years I have heard that Konrad could be one of the best FB in the league but that he is never given an opportunity. Maybe this is it. Regardless, the pressure is on the QB (whomever that may be), as if he didn't have enough already.

yankeehillbilly said:
Minor might get us through the season. Dont expect him to hold up though if he is given the same number of carries as they gave Ricky.

Your right, but you know Ricky shouldn't have had anywhere near that many carries last year. IMO DW ran RW right out of football...If I had boss who made me do 80% of the work, I'd look to quit also!

Gonzo said:
How about giving Konrad more carries and doing something similar to TB during their Dunn/Alstott days? For years I have heard that Konrad could be one of the best FB in the league but that he is never given an opportunity. Maybe this is it. Regardless, the pressure is on the QB (whomever that may be), as if he didn't have enough already.

Throw it too him too. I would love to see our Wrs keep the safeties deep and force LBs to cover Minor and Konrad on swing passes. Even FeeFee can completet some of those.

Back
Top Bottom