Why is everybody sold on McIntosh starting? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is everybody sold on McIntosh starting?

danephin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I know he battled injuries last year, but I don't think he was that impressive. Yet, it seems in every mock lineup I've seen, McIntosh is penciled in as the starting LT. Is there something I'm missing? St. Clair was our best OL (I know, not saying much the way that group played), so I think he deserves to be the starter going in, with McDougle as the RT. McIntosh would provide outstanding depth, but he's going to have to really prove it in camp to earn the starting spot on the most important position on the line.

who's sold? i don't think anyone is sold on him.

i don't know that ANY position on the line is a lock, but the closest to it is probably jeno at LG. however, mcintosh started at LT for 2 years under houck in SD. if he was good enough for houck then, unless he just isn't able to return to form after the injury why wouldn't he be good enough now. oh yeah, and he has something else going for him. who the hell else can play there?

LT is a key position, one where guys who can't get the job done are quickly removed from that role. From 2001-2003, McIntosh started 37 games at LT for San Diego. The o-line coach in San Diego was Hudson Houck, who is now the Dolphins o-line coach. If McIntosh was not a good LT, he would not have started there for 3 years. Last year, he had surgery on both ankles, and was not close to 100%. People forget that at the time of his surgeries, it was questionable as to whether or not he'd play last year at all. His injuries were significant, and we shouldn't judge his ability based on last year's performance. But, the fact that he has now been a starter at LT for 4 years gives him a clear edge over any other candidate on the Dolphins' roster.

I wonder how many starting OL lineups we'll see in scrimmages and the pre-season. I realize you have to have one cohesive unit, but with so much depth, and so many different possibilities, Houck is going to have to mix it up a lot to see who the best 5 are. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a few different combos during the first couple regular season games.

danephin said:
I know he battled injuries last year, but I don't think he was that impressive. Yet, it seems in every mock lineup I've seen, McIntosh is penciled in as the starting LT. Is there something I'm missing? St. Clair was our best OL (I know, not saying much the way that group played), so I think he deserves to be the starter going in, with McDougle as the RT. McIntosh would provide outstanding depth, but he's going to have to really prove it in camp to earn the starting spot on the most important position on the line.

Im not sold on McIntosh starting, IMO he is another Mark Dixon, he's always hurt and he wastes money sitting on his ***.

PatsSuck456 said:
Im not sold on McIntosh starting, IMO he is another Mark Dixon, he's always hurt and he wastes money sitting on his ***.

but he is way bigger than dixon and won´t rely on technique so much, he can maul people too, and this is what i want to see this year, with all the beef we have added, i want this guys smash people in their mouth, they have to be really physical, i would love that to happen

If I had to choose between Wade Smith, Vernon Carey and McIntosh, you dam right I would choose D-Mac...

Wade Smith in my opinion was a wasted pick and Houck will notice that..Either he plays Center or ride the Bench..

Vernon Carey --He will be best at RT or RG for our running game...

D-mac is our best option plus he got the experience...His injury should be completely healed now..

I'm a D-Mac supporter. The guy still has a lot of upside and improved a lot as his injury got better. I don't think he'll be a pro bowler or anything like that but with Houck coaching him and the fact that he's healthy, we just may have a legit starting LT. I wouldn't mind if Carey was at LT either but I can't imagine him starting there this season. He still needs some work from what i've heard. I never want to see W.Smith at lt again. He played absolutly horrible.

He seems to have carried things reasonably in San Diego. What would you say are the specific skills HE LACKS that would enable him to carry out the needed assignments in Miami. (besides beating a more athletic defensive end) I am a long way from a LT expert and I am interested.

danephin said:

Well, this is a pretty simple answer...the facts are that there is no one else who, at this time, appears to be better in our lineup at center than McKinney...

I agree wholeheartedly that McKinney's play over the course of the his tenure here is mediocre at best, but who else should be there ???

Pretty much because of the Houck connection. He was not particularly good in San Diego, but he was servicable. We are in a position where "servicable" is a set up, and acceptable.

LarryFinFan said:
Well, this is a pretty simple answer...the facts are that there is no one else who, at this time, appears to be better in our lineup at center than McKinney...

I agree wholeheartedly that McKinney's play over the course of the his tenure here is mediocre at best, but who else should be there ???

Rex Hadnot can play Center also.

Back
Top Bottom