Why is Sammy Morris lost in the shuffle here? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is Sammy Morris lost in the shuffle here?

Fritz27

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
I know everyone is excited about Ricky coming back (I'm still not sold on him coming back, nor am I sold on his effectiveness) and about the future with Ronnie Brown (I'm very excited about him), but what about Sammy?

He led the team in all the rushing stats. He posted career highs in every rushing category and he managed 4.0 yards per carry behind our joke of an offensive line. The offensive line that was worse than the one where Ricky Williams ran for 3.5 yards per carry in 2003. Can we please not forget that this guy is a legit backup and I'd feel 1000000000000x more comfortable with him as our #2 RB than with Ricky as our #2.

That is all. Good night.

Edit:

Just for giggles, his stats:

132 attempts 523 yards 4.0 ypc 6 TD

I think we will shift him back to the FB position and team up with Evans. However, I think he will see more carries then the typical FB.

I wouldn't say he is lost in the shuffle. It's just that we drafted a "stud", Kay-Jay seems to show a lot of promise (remind you of Feeley?), and we have yet to see enough of what Gordon has to offer. I think Morris was a blessing who probably hasn't gotten enough credit. To me there is no reason for him not to be on the team this season. Minor did a good job in his role but may be the odd man out.

Nublar7 said:
I think we will shift him back to the FB position and team up with Evans. However, I think he will see more carries then the typical FB.
I'd like to see him carry the ball a lot this season too. He deserves the opportunity.

I think he could be a great fit at FB in Linehan's system but I would compare him more to Moe Williams (even though he's a RB) rather than to Jim Kleinsasser (FB/TE) or Jermaine Wiggins (TE/FB)

I liked Morris but only if the O-line was decent he probly would of had huge stats and at least guaranteed backup

I think that Morris does have a position in the Linehan offense...ala Moe Williams/a versatile back that can catch the ball out of the backfield, block and carry for a few tough yards.

to me,minor is a dead horse, he did nothing last year though he was a good 3rd down guy the year before with ricky
He's completely expendable now..there's just too much depth ahead of him:D

Sammy Morris was one of the ONLY bright spots of last season. If anyone deserves to make this roster, it's him...not to mention he's gonna be our 3/4-back, if you catch my drift. How about if we break out the ol' Power I formation sometime this year with 2 TE and Evans, Morris, and Brown lined up on the field? I think it could work with some decent blocking.

Sammy Morris has been lost in the shuffle because that is one talent-filled shuffle and Mr. Morris is not a very talented runningback.

I'm pretty sure it has been hinted at that they want to use Sammy Morris as a short yardage back. We've got plenty of powerful runners, but none of them really have the skills at making that yardage Morris does. How many times did we see him showing extraordinary effort to where he needed to go? He leap over defenders, broke tackles, and more then once kept forward momentum and his knees off the ground while on top of defenders.

I cant imagine he doesnt make the roster. He has better all around skills then everyone except Ronnie Brown. He can catch, he can carry, he can block, and he can play special teams.

i think that the fact that he also plays special teams will get him a spot on the roster. Also, even though minor is a change of pace back, i think he will be cut. Im starting to like how all the rb's we have are bruisers that can wear out a defense. Just imagine, when ronnie is tired they put in ricky, then when he gets tired they put in morris,then gordon, then ronnie again. Those DT's and linebackers are gonna get worn out fast! Ronnie could be more considered the change of pace back since he is so versatile and fast. Thats were i see minor on the way out

I suppose it is possible he could be used short yardage but honestly I think they got Heath Evans to help with that. I could see Sammy not even being active

Back
Top Bottom