Why Isn’t Minkah On The Field More? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Isn’t Minkah On The Field More?

i'm guessing its because they have him playing nickel corner. The dumb part is, that isn't even his best position on the field. I want him to be back at free safety and I want to see him used as a blizter, he was a crazy good blitzer at Alabama. Stupid TJ Mcdonald

i'm guessing its because they have him playing nickel corner. The dumb part is, that isn't even his best position on the field. I want him to be back at free safety and I want to see him used as a blizter, he was a crazy good blitzer at Alabama. Stupid TJ Mcdonald

Agreed. Although he’s doing a phenomenal job where he’s at.

You should listen to the most recent 3YPC episode. @ckparrothead and crew make a good point of how the Texans basically kept Minkah on the sidelines by keeping Miami’s base defense on the field. AND, how the recent Mo Smith move may suggest a change to that base defense. It’s good stuff. Starts around the 21 minute mark if you choose to listen.

How do fans draw the conclusion that he should be playing Safety instead of slot corner when he played slot corner the majority of the time at Alabama? I’d make the argument he should be on the field 100% of the time so move him to safety or outside corner when there’s no need for a nickel package. But he should play 75% of the snaps at nickel CB. That’s absolutely where he had the most success in college.

Which brings me back to why would you pay McCain top slot CB money then draft a slot CB? I love Fitz, but c’mon. So many needs and they double down on slot CB? Just dumb...typical Miami decision.

How do fans draw the conclusion that he should be playing Safety instead of slot corner when he played slot corner the majority of the time at Alabama? I’d make the argument he should be on the field 100% of the time so move him to safety or outside corner when there’s no need for a nickel package. But he should play 75% of the snaps at nickel CB. That’s absolutely where he had the most success in college.

Which brings me back to why would you pay McCain top slot CB money then draft a slot CB? I love Fitz, but c’mon. So many needs and they double down on slot CB? Just dumb...typical Miami decision.

You bring up some good points. But I think our defense would be best with Reshad at SS, Minkah at FS, XMan at CB and another quality starter at CB.

McCain on the bench in base defense.

Bring McCain in to cover the slot when they go 3 wide.

Just need the other starting caliber CB to see how this would work.

I'd have plenty of wrinkles for Minkah (of course), but he would primarily be the every-down FS.

He might be an incredible nickel corner, but his value is at incredible FS/rover.

Minkah was drafted to play FS... McCain is not playing slot CB because we suck so much at the #2 CB spot. As a result, Minkah fills for McCain at the slot.

The thought is - right or wrong - TJ McDonald, McCain, Fitzpatrick ALL playing out of position is better than having them all playing their natural positions and having a big void at #2 CB (where McCain is filling in) and puts McDonald on the bench.

I honestly have less gripe about that^ decision than a lot of others (or their inability to develop Tankersly... based on our player development as of late, I put Tanks stunted growth on the coaches more than the player).

Poor coaching, poor player development, and a lack of depth and talent on the defense. Coming into the season this defense sucked and coming into the season a reasoned mind had this team no better than 8-8... Expecting otherwise, year after year, is just foolish beyond measure.

I say throw Tank in that #2 CB spot and let him take his lumps. Can’t be any worse than it is right now.

I think most of us would have agreed with you... they must think having everyone out of position is worth it to have McDonald on the field instead of Tank.

I think if Tank was playing as good or better than what we've seen from McTyer out there, he would be playing.

While Fitz has been great where he's at -- ie: the 'swiss army knife', jack-of-all-trades in the backfield -- I really wish they'd put him back at FS already.

He's a stud FS, one of the best to come out in years. Only the Dolphins would draft him then force him into a position that doesn't best suit his skills. It's like what we did with Tunsil.

When you get your hands on that good of a prospect, you put them in their natural position. Move the other pieces around them.

You bring up some good points. But I think our defense would be best with Reshad at SS, Minkah at FS, XMan at CB and another quality starter at CB.

McCain on the bench in base defense.

Bring McCain in to cover the slot when they go 3 wide.

Just need the other starting caliber CB to see how this would work.

I'd have plenty of wrinkles for Minkah (of course), but he would primarily be the every-down FS.

He might be an incredible nickel corner, but his value is at incredible FS/rover.

We don’t know if he’d be an incredible FS, could be, but then you’re limiting his upside of shutting down slot corners, TEs, and other teams’ #1s when moved to slot. More and more teams moving their stud WRs all over the field. AB, Thielen, Fitzgerald probably paved the way. His success was in the slot. He’s said he loves the slot. Could be less effective moving him from slot.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom