Why Isn’t Minkah On The Field More? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Isn’t Minkah On The Field More?

Thanks for doing that work bro.

"Defensive Success Rate"???? they cant stop the run or the pass, have a couple of sacks and they have defensive success rates?

so whats your take, seeing this DSR, as to why M is riding the bench?

"Defensive Success Rate"???? they cant stop the run or the pass, have a couple of sacks and they have defensive success rates?

so whats your take, seeing this DSR, as to why M is riding the bench?

My take is that our defense sucks because of Matt Burke. His schemes suck and he doesnt put his players in positions/roles that compliment their abilities.

Our defense is like the island of misfit toys.

None of that means the players themselves suck. In fact, how they manage to find any modicum of success trying to run Burke's abomination, is beyond me.

Some guys can play chess using only pawns. Bill Belichik for example.

Matt Burke plays checkers using Queens and rooks.

Because Miami's coaching staff is just that bad. One of the top defensive talents in the league and they can't figure out how to keep him on the field...SMH

I don't really understand the annointing of Minkah. Sure, for a rookie, I'm not disappointed with him, but this is a guy whose signature plays are a couple nice tackles and otherwise hasn't made that many splash plays.

I’m not an expert with football terms but I always believe I have a good feel about players that I’ve watched every game, he has GREAT instincts and obviously you know he’s a student of the game. If you’re at cb it’s more about sticking to your man and less about analyzing. He’s gotten better at man coverage but that was actually a weaker point sometimes in college. He couldn’t stop renfroe in the championship game. Put him at FS and he will take control of the defense, and he can be utilized at the los and backend. I still think he’d be great at slot and probowl level, but you put him at FS and he’ll be an Ed Reed type of playmaker, no doubt in my mind. What was that exact quote because I thought he said he could play any position at a high level. And I’m pretty sure Coach Saban was one to say that FS would be his best fit as well. Sure he can probably shut most slot receivers down, but he will be a game changing playmaker whenever our coaching staff decides to move him there full time. Guarantee it eventually happens

Why do you think he’d be better in slot?

He’d be a better asset in the slot. The best WRs play a ton of slot now. Thielen, AB, Fitzgerald was probably the first great big bodied WR to play the slot because the Cards could create even bigger mismatches. Offenses are picking on nickel CBs all over the league by moving their best WRs around.

Slot WR is no longer just a quick and small WR’s position anymore. Minkah has the footwork and speed to cover anyone and the size to cover these big WRs. He should shadow teams WR1s. Get him playing outside more now while he’s young and the fins aren’t that good. This way he can develop into a great outside CB too. Then he can shadow and shut down team’s top WR. That’s what I’d do to maximize his talent.

I don't really understand the annointing of Minkah. Sure, for a rookie, I'm not disappointed with him, but this is a guy whose signature plays are a couple nice tackles and otherwise hasn't made that many splash plays.

I'm pretty darn happy with what I've seen from him. Looks like a 10 year asset if you are trying to build a championship D. I base that on his play diagnosis, speed, tackling and coverage that I think shows up on the field all season. Hopefully his has some ball hawk in him...

Throw in that he has the rep of a tireless work, leader and communicator...he's a bright spot to me.

I'm pretty darn happy with what I've seen from him. Looks like a 10 year asset if you are trying to build a championship D. I base that on his play diagnosis, speed, tackling and coverage that I think shows up on the field all season. Hopefully his has some ball hawk in him...

Throw in that he has the rep of a tireless work, leader and communicator...he's a bright spot to me.

He looks solid, don't get me wrong. At minimum he should be a solid building block for years to come. Still, my idea of what a safety should be when drafted that high involves a little bit of big play ability, which he may develop but which we have yet to see.

He looks solid, don't get me wrong. At minimum he should be a solid building block for years to come. Still, my idea of what a safety should be when drafted that high involves a little bit of big play ability, which he may develop but which we have yet to see.

Well it would help if he was actually playing safety.

He’s allowing the lowest passer rating in the entire NFL, he’s not getting picked on to get a lot of interceptions. I’ll take sticky coverage over some splash plays.

He’s learning the NFL game on the fly while working the game inside to out, keeping everything in front of him, staying disciplines and calculated, and pouncing when he sees fit, which is pretty often, once he sees what offenses are trying to do against his defense, that experience will allow him to erase steps and space, thus getting to the ball quicker.

He’d be a better asset in the slot. The best WRs play a ton of slot now. Thielen, AB, Fitzgerald was probably the first great big bodied WR to play the slot because the Cards could create even bigger mismatches. Offenses are picking on nickel CBs all over the league by moving their best WRs around.

Slot WR is no longer just a quick and small WR’s position anymore. Minkah has the footwork and speed to cover anyone and the size to cover these big WRs. He should shadow teams WR1s. Get him playing outside more now while he’s young and the fins aren’t that good. This way he can develop into a great outside CB too. Then he can shadow and shut down team’s top WR. That’s what I’d do to maximize his talent.

Disagreed. You would be doing this player a disservice by defining his role so specifically. He should play all over the field. He should be your Troy Polamalu, Tyronn Mathieu, Ed Reed... he can play in the slot in crunch time. He can run the middle of the field. He can come up to the line and jam a receiver or blitz or make a tackle sideline to sideline.

A player of his potential caliber should be roaming - he will be what Reshad Jones likes to think he is. He's got range, instincts, tackling ability, speed, and coverage skills... remind me why he should play ONLY the slot? He should be lined up wherever we need him. He should be our game planning mid game adjustment weapon.

Disagreed. You would be doing this player a disservice by defining his role so specifically. He should play all over the field. He should be your Troy Polamalu, Tyronn Mathieu, Ed Reed... he can play in the slot in crunch time. He can run the middle of the field. He can come up to the line and jam a receiver or blitz or make a tackle sideline to sideline.

A player of his potential caliber should be roaming - he will be what Reshad Jones likes to think he is. He's got range, instincts, tackling ability, speed, and coverage skills... remind me why he should play ONLY the slot? He should be lined up wherever we need him. He should be our game planning mid game adjustment weapon.

Amazing how easily "fans" turn against our best defensive player of this decade.

Back
Top Bottom