Why Josh Rosen Has The Making Of A Franchise Qb | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Josh Rosen Has The Making Of A Franchise Qb

Hoot

Keeper of the Old Code
Club Member
Reaction score
Nate Burleson breaks down some of his thoughts about Rosen on the field on GMFB.

Good movement within the pocket.
Can keep his head focused down field while feeling pressure.
Can throw with great anticipation.
Good arm strength and accuracy.
Made some big time plays using good situational football.
There is a reason this guy went 10th overall.
Burleson talks about Rosen needing to go out and "earn it." Not just the starting spot but earn the locker room and earn that swag back.

Nate Burleson breaks down some of his thoughts about Rosen on the field on GMFB.

Good movement within the pocket.
Can keep his head focused down field while feeling pressure.
Can throw with great anticipation.
Good arm strength and accuracy.
Made some big time plays using good situational football.
There is a reason this guy went 10th overall.
Burleson talks about Rosen needing to go out and "earn it." Not just the starting spot but earn the locker room and earn that swag back.

I admit, I've been scarred by Tannehill. Although some will disagree, he had the physical talent and it showed sporadically. What he DIDN'T appear to have was the intellect to play the game. Now, that's not to say he isn't an intelligent guy, but there's a special talent to read Ds and make adjustments on the fly. Tannehill didn't appear to have that.

Which gets me to, I know longer care much for physical ability or his discipline. I want to see him excel pre-snap and in-play. I agree, he was considered a top candidate and he did have the heavy weight of the Cards O, but, . . . so were Bortles and Trubisky. I'm cautiously optimistic, but, as everyone knows, game 16 will tell the tale.

The staff has repeatedly said leadership is the most important attribute. It's going to be mighty hard for a 22 year old to unseat a 15 year competent vet in that department

I admit, I've been scarred by Tannehill. Although some will disagree, he had the physical talent and it showed sporadically. What he DIDN'T appear to have was the intellect to play the game. Now, that's not to say he isn't an intelligent guy, but there's a special talent to read Ds and make adjustments on the fly. Tannehill didn't appear to have that.

Which gets me to, I know longer care much for physical ability or his discipline. I want to see him excel pre-snap and in-play. I agree, he was considered a top candidate and he did have the heavy weight of the Cards O, but, . . . so were Bortles and Trubisky. I'm cautiously optimistic, but, as everyone knows, game 16 will tell the tale.
He never had any pocket presence which became his downfall. Guy could take a hit and make a tough throw, but often lost a lot by wasting time in the pocket. He was never able to move defenders into blockers and keep the pocket around him.

Rosen on the other hand has that ability and can make the tough throws. Rosen is better because he keeps his balance and doesn t lose much in his throwing motion because he commits to keeping his feet in the appropriate stance while moving the pocket.

Take a look at say Brady and then put him against t-hill and Rosen. You will see why Flores/Grier were confident in Josh

[QUOTE="jazz015, post: 7920589, member: 61599"]He never had any pocket presence which became his downfall. Guy could take a hit and make a tough throw, but often lost a lot by wasting time in the pocket. He was never able to move defenders into blockers and keep the pocket around him.

Rosen on the other hand has that ability and can make the tough throws. Rosen is better because he keeps his balance and doesn t lose much in his throwing motion because he commits to keeping his feet in the appropriate stance while moving the pocket.

Take a look at say Brady and then put him against t-hill and Rosen. You will see why Flores/Grier were confident in Josh[/QUOTE]

Those are the little things he couldn't do. Thinking during live action wasn't a strong point.

[QUOTE="jazz015, post: 7920589, member: 61599"]He never had any pocket presence which became his downfall. Guy could take a hit and make a tough throw, but often lost a lot by wasting time in the pocket. He was never able to move defenders into blockers and keep the pocket around him.

Take a look at say Brady and then put him against t-hill and Rosen. You will see why Flores/Grier were confident in Josh

Those are the little things he couldn't do. Thinking during live action wasn't a strong point.[/QUOTE]
It's not so much cerebral as it is a perfected art. If you see what guy like Mike McCarthy did with Aaron Rodgers it makes sense. Look at how Patrick mahomes learned to sense the entire field. Zac Taylor and Adam gase were never going to teach that.

t-hill only had 1 year experience at starting QB, and was very raw coming in. He checked all the physical boxes but needed the game to be simplified to much. He is the cautionary tale of "we can fix him because he has all the measurables" narrative scouts run with.

Those are the little things he couldn't do. Thinking during live action wasn't a strong point.
It's not so much cerebral as it is a perfected art. If you see what guy like Mike McCarthy did with Aaron Rodgers it makes sense. Look at how Patrick mahomes learned to sense the entire field. Zac Taylor and Adam gase were never going to teach that.

t-hill only had 1 year experience at starting QB, and was very raw coming in. He checked all the physical boxes but needed the game to be simplified to much. He is the cautionary tale of "we can fix him because he has all the measurables" narrative scouts run with.[/QUOTE]

We disagree . . . a little. NFL history is FULL of QBs who couldn't master the speed of the game, even when they had good HCs. I agree, some of that can be taught, but reading a D? Setting protections? Changing progressions? while some of that can be taught - when the QB has time - making those quick decisions takes mental agility - a skill many QB don't have. You're right . . . some of that can be taught. But there has to be a minimum aptitude and I don't think Tannehill has it.

Thanks for the link Hoot! Rosen's foot work in already superior to Tannehill's imo. I appreciate Tannehill for being one tough SOB but my lord, his pocket awareness was putrid (yes, his O line sucked for the most part but still he could have thrown the damn ball away on so many plays while he was our QB instead of taking so many sacks) .

Very excited to see Rosen shred it for us . He HAS to beat out Fitz .

He hasn't played a single down in Miami and this poor schlub is already better than the 7 yr vet Davie finally moved on from.

Better this, better that. Kinda like a whole bunch of "Hope" and some "Change" might show some better results or something.

Tannehill was a statue compared to Rosen.

Rosen has a much more natural feel for a pocket, but still gets spooked occasionally.

You need to see how Rosen looks in a true 16 game season with a team that at least has the semblance of being competitive. Our roster is bad but the Cardinals last year were an absolute train wreck from the top down.

Thanks for the link Hoot! Rosen's foot work in already superior to Tannehill's imo. I appreciate Tannehill for being one tough SOB but my lord, his pocket awareness was putrid (yes, his O line sucked for the most part but still he could have thrown the damn ball away on so many plays while he was our QB instead of taking so many sacks) .

Very excited to see Rosen shred it for us . He HAS to beat out Fitz .

How many sacks did Rosen take last year?

Tannehill was a statue compared to Rosen.

Rosen has a much more natural feel for a pocket, but still gets spooked occasionally.

You need to see how Rosen looks in a true 16 game season with a team that at least has the semblance of being competitive. Our roster is bad but the Cardinals last year were an absolute train wreck from the top down.

Behind that suck Arizona offensive line you'd get spooked too. Give him a solid oline and we will know if we have our QB of the future or not. Looks like we are headed in that direction

The staff has repeatedly said leadership is the most important attribute. It's going to be mighty hard for a 22 year old to unseat a 15 year competent vet in that department
Hard to imagine, other than an injury to Rosen, a situation Flores doesn't play Rosen to see what has next year before 2020 draft with legitimate franchise potential QBs in it.

Tannehill was dangerous because when it was helmets and shorts he looked elite, but once the pads came on it always seemed to reveal his warts.

I don't think it was a coincidence that for nearly 7 years we would hear how amazing he looked in otas and kept getting the same results on the field during the season.

I'm hopeful Rosen will show us this year how out of touch we were for 7 years on what is effective QB play.

Back
Top Bottom