Why Liam Eichenberg is exactly what the Dolphins needed up front | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Liam Eichenberg is exactly what the Dolphins needed up front

TrinidadDolfan

1st Team All-Pro
Reaction score

An excerpt:

The Miami Dolphins’ latest investment into the offensive line comes with a bit of a different profile than the players that have previously been brought into the fray over the course of the Chris Grier & Brian Flores era with the team. The Dolphins have typically gravitated towards heavyweight offensive linemen — with their average size over two years of added linemen exceeding an average weight of 320 pounds.

Liam Eichenberg, the team’s fourth selection and No. 42 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, profiles a little differently. He attended the Notre Dame Pro Day in March at 306 pounds, well short of the typical Dolphins’ lineman. But despite his leaner frame, Eichenberg is exactly what the Dolphins needed up front.

Why?

Because while Eichenberg didn’t necessarily meet the expected size measurements, he meets several other standards that the Dolphins need up front to be better along the offensive line. Eichenberg did not concede a sack over his final two and a half seasons of play as the starting left tackle with the Irish. He isn’t necessarily the standout athlete that the Dolphins chased up front with Austin Jackson in last year’s draft, but he offers something much more important for a team that is looking to contend in 2021: polish and technique.

Eichenberg is considered ready to play.

And even though he isn’t as big as his new teammates (at least not yet), he’s still very much a stylistic fit for the Dolphins’ interior run game and can provide plenty of push for the team up front. Miami is hoping to breathe new life into their running game in 2021 and they should find that with Solomon Kindley taking over for Ereck Flowers at left guard and Robert Hunt kicking inside to right guard. But Eichenberg, assuming he beats out D.J. Fluker, is at his absolute best on interior double teams and driving the opposition off the ball on interior runs.

The Dolphins deserve credit for being open to a stylistic fit even if he doesn’t match up precisely to the look and feel of the kind of players they’ve attacked previously under the current leadership. After all, Eichenberg has the frame to add some size if the Dolphins deem it necessary — but his drive blocking ability at the point of attack already feels like a sufficient blend and fit with what the Dolphins are hoping to accomplish.

And as more of a technician than either Robert Hunt or Austin Jackson, Miami is also getting a more polished pass protector, too. The ceiling may not be as high, but the floor for 2021 and beyond is also considerably more stable as well.

If Eichenberg staves off Fluker at right tackle, Miami will have one of the youngest lines in all of football. And hopefully then the team will find the solution up front they’ve been looking for over the years.

The Dolphins deserve credit for being open to a stylistic fit even if he doesn’t match up precisely to the look and feel of the kind of players they’ve attacked previously under the current leadership. After all, Eichenberg has the frame to add some size if the Dolphins deem it necessary — but his drive blocking ability at the point of attack already feels like a sufficient blend and fit with what the Dolphins are hoping to accomplish.

And as more of a technician than either Robert Hunt or Austin Jackson, Miami is also getting a more polished pass protector, too. The ceiling may not be as high, but the floor for 2021 and beyond is also considerably more stable as well.

If Eichenberg staves off Fluker at right tackle, Miami will have one of the youngest lines in all of football. And hopefully then the team will find the solution up front they’ve been looking for over the years.

I was lukewarm on this pick until I learned more about this kid. He seems to be a plug and play NFL ready Tackle and just what Miami needed in terms of solidifying the line. Hopefully he lives up to his billing and the O-line will be in great shape.

Last edited:
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face..."

-Mike Tyson

The above quote is ready made for an instance like this. Our rook, is plug and play on Tua's blindside...ok, we shall see.

I r

-Mike Tyson

The above quote is ready made for an instance like this. Our rook, is plug and play on Tua's blindside...ok, we shall see.
I remember before the draft you were pretty down on him, I wanna say you said you wouldn’t seat him before round 5?

I r

I remember before the draft you were pretty down on him, I wanna say you said you wouldn’t seat him before round 5?
I don't remember saying it...but I wouldn't deny it because it's how I feel. I think they should ship him into RG where he can take the 1v1's vs the Aaron Donald's of the league...but then again, I'm really not a big fan of moving player out of their natural spots.

I don't remember saying it...but I wouldn't deny it because it's how I feel. I think they should ship him into RG where he can take the 1v1's vs the Aaron Donald's of the league...but then again, I'm really not a big fan of moving player out of their natural spots.
Fair enough, curious what you don’t like about him? Been a solid tackle in college for a major program, decent enough athleticism, good power, technique. Seems his main negative his short arms

Fair enough, curious what you don’t like about him? Been a solid tackle in college for a major program, decent enough athleticism, good power, technique. Seems his main negative his short arms
I was never really impressed by him to the point where I'd be thankful to get him. I think that's a big reason why he didn't come out last year. He's the same guy from last year, IMO. They had a fairly mobile QB so the sack totals may be a tad bit misleading.

Overall, I can't say that I think he's a better RT than Hunt. If they out him there and his numbers are better...fine. If not, Hunt belongs back outside.

The Oline was a complete mess late in the year, I believe we made an excellent choice with this pick
They weren't great.

Being an optimist, I believe part of it was the "rookie wall". I also have hope experience, an offseason of NFL strength training, and a real preseason program will result in a big leap of progress.

I do understand the "show me" ppl. Hard to dismiss two decades of incompetence.

-Mike Tyson

No idea how this fits.
I dont think you really understand the meaning of that saying.

-Mike Tyson

Not really. There are way more long shot, pie in the sky, pipe dream plans that fit that quote than a multi year starter at a major college program with a good resume coming in and holding his own. Sounds overly dramatic to attach that quote to this draft pick.

I was never really impressed by him to the point where I'd be thankful to get him. I think that's a big reason why he didn't come out last year. He's the same guy from last year, IMO. They had a fairly mobile QB so the sack totals may be a tad bit misleading.

Overall, I can't say that I think he's a better RT than Hunt. If they out him there and his numbers are better...fine. If not, Hunt belongs back outside.

So you are predicting Suh will punch him on the face?

Not really. There are way more long shot, pie in the sky, pipe dream plans that fit that quote than a multi year starter at a major college program with a good resume coming in and holding his own. Sounds overly dramatic to attach that quote to this draft pick.
So multi-year starters at major programs are better RTs than those who have done the job in the NFL for 10+ games?

That quote is definitely applicable to him because he's spent the lions share of his career on the left...now we move him the the right and he's supposed to be the guardian of Tua's blindside?

Back
Top Bottom