Why Miami is going to be great | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Miami is going to be great

Dajesus

Active Roster
Reaction score
This will most likely sound homerish, but I honestly think this season's Miami Dolphins will be a great team and here is why:

Our defensive line will be the most imroved unit in the league. All Wally needs to do is get the same amount of sacks as he had durring the 4 game preseason in the 16 game schedule(7). This will allow the guy on the other side to take his game to the top 5 DEs in the NFL. If Jay Taylor gets the luxury of having a pass rush on the other side flush the qb his way more than last year he should put up around 15 sacks and 80 tackles. That being said the most improved part of the d-line will be DT. Bowens and Chester should plug the line to keep Zach free, and will not be as mediorcre as they were last year against the run. Then you add Jay Williams to create something we didn't have last year at DT, a pass rusher. I will admit when i first saw the aqusition of Williams i was not excited, but after what i saw over the preseason he has completely changed my tune. He showed that he could play very tough against the run at DE, and he broke free in the backfeild almost every time he lined up at DT. The last big move at d-line was signing Rob Burnett. I don't think he will make a huge impact on the feild, but in the locker room and on the sideline he brings leadership and a SB ring. This very talented d seemed to play with a lack luster attitude last season, but i think Rob will keep the d focused, and help bring them back to the elite groups in the league.

Our offense will be good enough. Our o-line is not a great unit, but they were alot worse last year. they were a lot worse, and they still were good enough for a Norv Tuner and Ricky Williams less squad to win 11 games. Rob Konrad has showed he can be the FB that Norv wants. Randy Mcmichael will most likely not be among the best in the laegue i would bet he makes about 12 great plays over the season to give the offense a spark. Chris Chambers has a year under his belt and will make the opossing defense to pay attention to him. OG is a rock, and Dedric Ward is finally healthy and looks like he will be a very solid slot man. Most importantly Jay Feidler has to be improved with another year under his belt, but Ray Lucas has proven he is more than an adequit back up so if Jay struggles i would bet Norv wouldn't hesitate to make a switch.

Obviously you need a little luck over the course of a 16 game schedule, but i think if we can healthy and a break or two goes our way this team could represent the AFC in the SB.

Not only that but when I look at the scheduele we can jump to a 5-0 start.

Let me guess, the Bills are going to win the division?! Go back to Buffalo, and let us Dol-fans talk about our AFC East winning Miami Dolphins. You guys are going to get swept by us and every team in our division. So shut up. Who do u have? Travis Henry? We have Ricky Williams. U have Moulds, we have Chambers. We have a defense, u got squat. We got a 12-4 record u guys suck!!! shut up

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
I say 9-7 for this highly overated Dolphins team.

Come on T you know the rules. No smack talking in threads in this forum. If your going to talk the talk here you have to back it up? Tell us where we got worse? The only place I can honestly say we got worse at was LG since we have Nails taking over Dixons spot as he moves to LT. We are also a little weaker at our CB depth which is being worked on. We also have a slightly worse punter. Other then that we either improved or stayed the same. Barring injuries this team is significantly better and I haven't been able to say that in 5 seasons.

I don't think we regressed at punter. While Royals doesn't have Turk's leg strength, he sure as hell is a better directional punter. That's his forte. He's looked very good this preseason. If anything, we've stayed the same at the position.

LG....we regress from a pass protection/awareness standpoint. But we improve in run blocking.

You bring up an interesting issue:

Originally posted by Dajesus
Most importantly Jay Feidler has to be improved with another year under his belt, but Ray Lucas has proven he is more than an adequit back up so if Jay struggles i would bet Norv wouldn't hesitate to make a switch.

Jay is Wanny's guy and it has been Wanny jumping to his defense and declaring him the starter the past 2 years whenever he struggled - not Chan, though Chan ran the O. Now with Norv running the O, and his tight relationship with Wanny, will Norv be able to call the shot of pulling Jay if he sucks, or will Wanny pre-empt him and insist Jay stay the starter? Hope Jay shines and we never find out!

Wannstedt is still the head coach and I think he was traumatized in Chicago by switching QBs too early. If he does change QBs without injury it will be permanent.

Agreed with most things written in this thread. Except for the fact that I think Royals is a definite downgrade from Turk...I mean Turk could do it all for ya boom the 50-60 yarders when ya needed it, or give a ton of hangtime so that Scott McGarrahan could run up and CATCH THE PUNT at the 2 yard line, or directional kick it, etc. Royals will get us through but no longer will punting be one of our biggest strengths.

Blasphemy as it may be after seeing the preseason and training camp I am starting to think that Oronde Gadsden is going to have more catches than Chris Chambers once again. Whether he has more yards depends on whether or not we start tossing deep to Chambers a lot and whether he gets double teamed. Chambers is going to be a good decoy factor for us, but OG is still the bread and butter man around here. Best hands in the league...nearly the best at using the sidelines. Nearly the best at using his body. Right now I'd say that its likely that both of them have 1000 yard seasons.

I'm still not sure about this getting beat deep thing thats been happening in preseason. Not sure if we have an answer for it. I haven't seen enough to say that its because we're playing Brock or Arturo closer to the LOS than usual, which was the primary reason we got beat deep in 1999. I'm also not sure our run defense is where it needs to be but I honestly believe we could have the best passrushing DL in the league...COULD....

Back
Top Bottom