Why New Dolphins Coach Brian Flores Is The Antithesis Of Adam Gase | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why New Dolphins Coach Brian Flores Is The Antithesis Of Adam Gase

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
usatsi_13096416-1.jpg

Do you remember which Dolphins game had you professing “I’m out” on Adam Gase? Do you recall the final straw — the moment you realized he is not by any means “the next Don Shula,” as Stephen Ross had proclaimed with hope as the team introduced Gase for the first time? Maybe you never reached that defining moment with the former head coach.

There were many moments that embittered fans during the Gase era — but the defining moment for many was the December drubbing at the hands of the Minnesota Vikings. Believe it or not, it wasn’t the nine sacks Miami’s offense allowed, the 418 yards the defense allowed, or even the 41-17 final score that sealed the deal.

Instead, it was the pregame warm-ups.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2...-brian-flores-is-the-antithesis-of-adam-gase/

Since he is the supposed Antithesis of Gase, let’s see how long the love affair and patience lasts with the media.

Apparently Armando has already taken shot one this morning. Wow, that didn’t last long, we haven’t even made it to pre season game 1.

You can demand perfection from everyone else if you demand it from yourself also. Make sure everyone understands that we're all accountable - from coaches to players.

It's not going to be easy for them to get the organization turned around. It's not. And if Flores was able to get a word of advice from meeting Don, it was most likely something along the lines of not hesitating to make the decision to change something if it's not working. Especially in terms of replacing a coach that isn't working out. In other words, don't do what I did and allow it to cost you.

You're going to have to make decisions swiftly and with urgency sometimes. Sometimes those decisions are going to look confusing to others. But they don't understand your process.

Furthermore, this was just the beginning. Probably not even the most significant decision he'll make before the season starts.

When you're trying to turn around a losing football program, you're going to have people who don't buy in completely. Some that don't buy in at all. They will oust themselves quickly. I've seen it too many times. I know how it goes.

Attention to detail and being accountable are critical to the process.

I once heard a pretty good coach say when trying to turn around a program, - "Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people".

Paul Allen, the Minnesota Vikings renowned play-by-play call, was so baffled by the Dolphins warm-ups that he made a point to bring it up during his Monday morning radio show the next day. Allen referred to it as the most bizarre excuse of a warm-up he’d ever seen in his 18+ years of covering professional football. Lackadaisical and structure-less. 15 minutes after they were allowed to begin their warm-ups, Dolphins players and coaches trickled out of the locker rooms at a seemingly random rate, did some light stretching and ball-tossing before calling themselves ready.
Not in the least surprised. One can only hope that slow starts are a thing of the past.

"It’s early. It’s very early. But at this stage in the process, it is abundantly clear how opposite Flores is from Gase in just about ever faucet."

Ever faucet? Every facet?

Hard to take an article seriously, especially when the topic is accountability and organization, when its written so lazily.

"It’s early. It’s very early. But at this stage in the process, it is abundantly clear how opposite Flores is from Gase in just about ever faucet."

Hard to take an article seriously, especially when the topic is accountability and organization, when its written so lazily.
Maybe Flores demanded all the sinks be changed to non-ever faucets?

Since he is the supposed Antithesis of Gase, let’s see how long the love affair and patience lasts with the media.

Apparently Armando has already taken shot one this morning. Wow, that didn’t last long, we haven’t even made it to pre season game 1.

Armando would make a GREAT SPOKESMAN....

for MIDOL. :p

Not sure why...

It is not as if the writer is calling for the team to have more accountability, but pointing out that the coach wants more accountability and the previous coach had little.

The information from Paul Allen was new and really does hammer home the point of Gase's lack of structure.

Gase had positives. He improved culture tremendously from philbin. That has been documented in these forums and the vip section. Players never studied around philbin and constantly late. Gase held them accountable and did try to improve the culture.

His problem was his ego got big after playoff run. He stuck to his guys. Old players. Like the tight end Thomas. and cutler. Hiring and keeping matt Burke was the biggest mistake.
Smart move by jets to get proven d cordinator.

I like what Flores is doing. But none of it will matter if we don’t get a franchise qb.

Just like if darnold is great then gase will do well no matter his ego or flaws.

Flores must find qb. But I do love his approach of tough football, conditioning., having a full back. But this will only turn out well with a great qb. Not telling anyone anything new I know. Just my thoughts.

The more that comes out about Adam Gase, the more he seemed to be clearly in over his head as a coach. I think his talent is in quarterback development, but that's probably about it.

I am hopeful that Flores will be a major upgrade.

Gase had positives. He improved culture tremendously from philbin. That has been documented in these forums and the vip section. Players never studied around philbin and constantly late. Gase held them accountable and did try to improve the culture.

His problem was his ego got big after playoff run. He stuck to his guys. Old players. Like the tight end Thomas. and cutler. Hiring and keeping matt Burke was the biggest mistake.
Smart move by jets to get proven d cordinator.

I like what Flores is doing. But none of it will matter if we don’t get a franchise qb.

Just like if darnold is great then gase will do well no matter his ego or flaws.

Flores must find qb. But I do love his approach of tough football, conditioning., having a full back. But this will only turn out well with a great qb. Not telling anyone anything new I know. Just my thoughts.

This. Gase thought the playoff run was all him. Now some of his decisions led to it, but it wasnt the only thing. I actually think an underrated thing that hurt the team last year was reassigning Clyde Christensen. I think Clyde balanced Gase out a lot and reigned him in.

This. Gase thought the playoff run was all him. Now some of his decisions led to it, but it wasnt the only thing. I actually think an underrated thing that hurt the team last year was reassigning Clyde Christensen. I think Clyde balanced Gase out a lot and reigned him in.

That’s a good point about Clyde. He did seem to have that affect on gase.

You can demand perfection from everyone else if you demand it from yourself also. Make sure everyone understands that we're all accountable - from coaches to players.

It's not going to be easy for them to get the organization turned around. It's not. And if Flores was able to get a word of advice from meeting Don, it was most likely something along the lines of not hesitating to make the decision to change something if it's not working. Especially in terms of replacing a coach that isn't working out. In other words, don't do what I did and allow it to cost you.

You're going to have to make decisions swiftly and with urgency sometimes. Sometimes those decisions are going to look confusing to others. But they don't understand your process.

Furthermore, this was just the beginning. Probably not even the most significant decision he'll make before the season starts.

When you're trying to turn around a losing football program, you're going to have people who don't buy in completely. Some that don't buy in at all. They will oust themselves quickly. I've seen it too many times. I know how it goes.

Attention to detail and being accountable are critical to the process.

I once heard a pretty good coach say when trying to turn around a program, - "Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people".
Shula was obviously one of the most successful coaches in the history of the game. But, as you alluded to, his penchant for sticking with assistants (loyalty) really hurt him. If I'm not mistaken, he had a shot to hire Pete Carroll back when Miami's defense was a mess but stuck with Tom Olividatti (spelling?).

Anyway, to the subject at hand. I was very surprised to see the move this early, but that does show a lot about Flores. The antithesis of Gase is exactly what I think this team needs. I remember feeling early on with Gase that their were red flags. I remember hearing that he was buddy, buddy with players and everyone whose ever been in a supervisory role knows that doesn't work. Lets now see how this plays out. Flores's first season could be a mess, win wise. Miami has talent, but lacks talent in crucial areas (offensive line, pass rusher, maybe quarterback). It's a building process and hopefully Flores will be given time.

Back
Top Bottom