Why New Dolphins Coach Brian Flores Is The Antithesis Of Adam Gase | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why New Dolphins Coach Brian Flores Is The Antithesis Of Adam Gase

Gase can design a cool route here and there in fairness to him. The issue that is showing is the lack of fundamentals kill him. He is in fact a lot like his mentor Mike Martz. When everything goes right the offense is high flying but as the defense learned how to counter the offense the changes were not made.

But really the ego is the big thing
What I've learned is that the bar is just so ridiculously low for NFL coaches. How many coaches actually make halftime adjustments these days?

Hell, the great Sean McVay changed absolutely nothing all the way up to the Super Bowl up until the final whistle blew to the amazement of New England defenders, and this is a guy lauded as an offensive genius.

Gase can design a cool route here and there in fairness to him. The issue that is showing is the lack of fundamentals kill him. He is in fact a lot like his mentor Mike Martz. When everything goes right the offense is high flying but as the defense learned how to counter the offense the changes were not made.

But really the ego is the big thing

IMHO, Gase has a LOT of problems
Ego
excessive loyalty (Burke)
Doesn't inspire the players
No (or rare) game plan
No adjustments
Players must match the play call - Not, play call matches the players
blah, blah

What I've learned is that the bar is just so ridiculously low for NFL coaches. How many coaches actually make halftime adjustments these days?

Hell, the great Sean McVay changed absolutely nothing all the way up to the Super Bowl up until the final whistle blew to the amazement of New England defenders, and this is a guy lauded as an offensive genius.

McVay I think will come back to earth a bit this year. I think ironically the Oats and even the Saints exposed some flaws in his offense...

But yes your point about NFL coaches having the bar so low is true. Honestly most great coordinators any more fail as coaches because they just want to focus on their side of the ball (that was not Gase exclusive). They also struggle putting staffs together. All of the great coaches have a great staff. I thought Gase's initial staff was solid, but turns out he blew the OL hire twice, and the defensive staff was not great (or at least Burke was not ready to be DC).

I hope we can get to the point both Andy Reid and Bill Billecheck are at where they can just promote someone within and not miss a beat

...I once heard a pretty good coach say when trying to turn around a program, - "Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people".

Nice! Love that quote!!

I am one that hopes Gase doesn't learn from his coaching mistakes.

If Grier cant provide more talent to Flores than he and the previous FO provided to the last 5 coaches preceding him... Flores will get the same treatment as they did on here...

You can demand perfection from everyone else if you demand it from yourself also. Make sure everyone understands that we're all accountable - from coaches to players.

It's not going to be easy for them to get the organization turned around. It's not. And if Flores was able to get a word of advice from meeting Don, it was most likely something along the lines of not hesitating to make the decision to change something if it's not working. Especially in terms of replacing a coach that isn't working out. In other words, don't do what I did and allow it to cost you.

You're going to have to make decisions swiftly and with urgency sometimes. Sometimes those decisions are going to look confusing to others. But they don't understand your process.

Furthermore, this was just the beginning. Probably not even the most significant decision he'll make before the season starts.

When you're trying to turn around a losing football program, you're going to have people who don't buy in completely. Some that don't buy in at all. They will oust themselves quickly. I've seen it too many times. I know how it goes.

Attention to detail and being accountable are critical to the process.

I once heard a pretty good coach say when trying to turn around a program, - "Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people".
I agree with all of this but Flores's job gets a whole lot easier if he can find a franchise QB. If he can't find one, anything else he does, most likely, won't matter. For all of the greatness of Bill Belichick, he was headed for the ash heap of head coaches if Brady didn't show up.

Last edited:
I agree with all of this but Flores's job gets a whole lot easier if he can find a franchise QB. If he can't find one, anything else he does, most likely, won't matter. For all of the greatness of Bill Belichick, he was headed for the ash heap of head coaches if Brady didn't show up.

Already said that the day he was hired.

Counting on Chris Grier to find him one is the part I’d be worried about if I were him.

Back
Top Bottom