Why not Carey??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why not Carey???

Ohiophinphan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Not living in Miami, I don't get to watch Canes football or stay current on its many nuances. But why is Vernon Carey not on any of the lists I read here for the Phins? Sporting News had him listed as the best guard in the draft as did Draft Insider's Digest (which has Smiley 3rd by the way behind Carey and Peterman of LSU). Both compared him favorably with Larry Allen.

I know he has been quoted as saying he would prefer to play RT but what is there about him that drops him from our radar? I'm not trying to start something, I'm honestly curious. Thanks

I think Carey was the consensus pick for the Phins about a month ago. Then talk began circulating of Andrews falling, focusing on defense, etc.

However, I think when its all said and done, Carey will be the guy we draft at #20. Not a sexy pick, especially given all the speculation about acquiring additional #1's (from an Ogun trade), Sean Taylor visiting camp, etc. But he wil fill a dire team need, and in the end, RS cannot overlook that singular fact.

Attitude, questionable work ethic, doesn't seem like a RS guy.

Why not Carey?Cos Smiley is better for one.

Ozzy rules!!

i don't know about a gaurd at 20. even if andrews is gone at 20, there's a bunch a players that would be available that would be better value than a gaurd imo (evans, clayton, starks, vilma, ware, grove, etc). if the f.o. really wants a gaurd, i hope they trade down, b/c there is not much separation b/w carey, smiley, and snee, and one of them will be available in the early stages of round two

Carey tended to take plays off in college...granted in that program, sometimes a player can do that, but he also has weight issues and workout issues that have been mentioned. He played better in college at guard than at tackle. To me, that means that he was not athletic enough for tackle...that is a reach IMO at #20. On the other hand, Smiley or Grove, who are also reaches at #20, I wouldn't have as much of a problem if they took because Smiley is a better guard than Carey and Grove is a better player at his position as well. Carey, while I think he'll be a very good player for our or any other team, is just too much of a chance for us at #20.

Yeah, he's not good enough to take plays off the way he did, and still be a beast. At #20, that's high if your asking me :eat:

Back
Top Bottom