Why Not Draft Lamar Jackson?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Tannchise, Jan 2, 2018.

1. hoops

hoops exited stage left Hammered

We aren’t gonna do it. His game doesn’t fit our offense at all

He plays to contact and he’s errant high in the middle of the field which is where many of the route concepts we’d run with him would require breaking

rickd13 and Awsi Dooger like this.
  2. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

Good summary. He's high on a line in the middle of the field. The safeties on smart teams will know it and merely wait for it.

Touch has improved on the run. But Jackson has no touch from those flatfooted throws in the pocket. Line drive risers.

However, I suspect he'll look different this time next year, no matter where he goes. The only thing that remains the same in his game from year to year is carrying the ball in his left arm. Otherwise there are always noticeable changes.

3. Tureo

Tureo Seasoned Veteran

I'm not a fan of drafting him for our offense but we'r forgetting that RT was a project at 8 and someone that needed time coming from a&m having played at wr.

4. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

I would be hesitant to draft anyone Petrino has coached. His offense is not exactly NFL friendly. I know he wanted to get Jackson more under center this year to get him ready for the next level, but I think he won't be able to be get away with some of the inaccuracies that he is able to in that offense.

5. Perfect23

Perfect23 A True Fan

Second round yes first round no.

Ray R likes this.
  6. TheWozz

TheWozz FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

This sounds reasonable, and I bet Gase and the FO guys agree. So what does that tell you they think they have in Tannehill if they dont try to upgrade on him early?

Ray R and kevphin like this.
  7. Chuck-182

Chuck-182 Well-Known Member

I like Tannehill but you could literally say the same about any coach/FO haha

Ray R likes this.
  8. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs UCF 13-0 Finheaven VIP Donator

You knock on Tannehill all the time but then want to draft Lamar Jackson?

There's more to football than text and box scores, my man. If you want a polished QB with the tools to succeed right away, Jackson isn't it.

9. Tannchise

Tannchise Banned Hammered

yep Matt Moore behind Tanehill another season is the exact push we need

10. crumpdaddy

crumpdaddy FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

we have tannehill 2 more years at least im thinking. There will be another "once in a lifetime" qb we can draft in the first round next year that everyone is going to fall in love with. Best case scenario for those who want tanne gone but also want to field a competitive squad. Build up the team with draft this year with first 2 rounds a penciled in starter (hopefully more rounds than that), then in the 2019 draft...whoever yall deem the new lamar Jackson cant be drafted and sit a year behind 17.

Out of qbs selected in the first two rounds this past year...
    bears #2 trubisky...bears were a horribly run, I guess they had a pretty nice running game if IRC, QB cost them a lot. Fox and the front office needed something for the fanbase after all the years of Cutler, plus they probably thought this would buy them a year. So they were just in develop for the future mode... spark fan base.. they had nothing at QB

kc #10 maholmes...already a playoff caliber squad from top to bottom, despite all the talk during their brief slump, no way pat was replacing smith. Trying to save money in the future with hopefully a little more potential out of the position. now maholmes has a year under smith and smith will go bye bye this season.

THIS is where I could potentially see us in 2019 if we have a good draft this year and get a few pieces back healthy. Probably the strategy that will more than likely play out with us.

Houston #12 Watson...almost the same as above except everyone in Houston was wanting Watson to walk in the door a starter. Stellar defense, great playmakers on offense, just needed a qb and didn't have the luxury of wasting another season with savage, we don't have the stellar D and our playmakers on O will be better with rt17 alone

cle-52 kizer. well Cleveland....enough said. if one of the top qb's fall to us in round 2 I wouldn't completely flip my lid

I just don't think we have the luxury of drafting a QB high this year. Every year everyone has a man crush on a QB coming out, even though ill admit a lot of love for Jackson started on here last year. Draft a qb in midrounds unless one of the first round qb's slides into the 2nd (which I hope not unless we can trade back because OL, TE, LB are all most important) If tannehill plays lights out this year with a better team around him and hopefully a better OL and we still want to draft a QB high next year to groom behind him cool.

LJ isn't a once in a lifetime QB and the board will be on some young new studs Johnson next year and the board will be once again flooded with draft this qb 1, and maybe next year we will be better suited to have a luxury pick

Dolphins81 and fin415 like this.
  11. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

Mayfield at 11 is a good pick. Problem is his ****iness and then going to live in Miami.
    Jackson at 11 feels like a reach.

Dolphins81 likes this.
  12. zucca

zucca Well-Known Member

If we draft Lamar it will be to play WR. He's not an NFL QB.

13. Schleprock

Schleprock Mad and Surt...Legendary

Jackson will still be available at 11th overall.............in the 4th round. I cannot believe there are people seriously considering Lamar Jackson as a replacement for Tannehill LOL.

FinaticalFinfan, Vaark and Danny like this.
  14. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

exactly, accuracy issues aren't overcome in the NFL, they are compounded

Ray R, Vaark and Danny like this.
  15. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

I've seen little of LT's play, but he is an exciting player to watch that's for sure.

16. Farmer

Farmer ROLL!

toothpicks break too easily

17. daryl

daryl Well-Known Member Donator

They could finally successfully run the Pat White offense they wanted to run seven years ago.

SCLSU Mud Dogs likes this.
  18. ButchFragrance

ButchFragrance Well-Known Member

Ever hear the kid talk? I'll pass.

19. Birdmond

Birdmond A True Fan Donator

Actually I haven’t. I think the interview process will determine when Jackson comes off the board. But my gut tells me all the experts who are saying Jackson needs to change positions have some inside information on football IQ. They just don’t want to come out and say it. I can’t think of another explanation.

Ray R likes this.
  20. jazz015

jazz015 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I mean to be fair, people are all over Josh Allen and his "natural talent" even though he posted the same completion percentage as tom savage in college. Compiled with the other flaws in his game.

I am by no means advocating for Lamar, as he does not fit our offense. But the hate the guy received compared to players like Darnold and Allen is is astounding.

Ray R and J. David Wannyheimer like this.
  21. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

I wouldn't draft Josh Allen at 11, either. But the thing with Allen is, I think he has more arm talent than Jackson and has a better throwing foundation. Now it's true that mechanics can be coached up -- we've actually seen this here in Miami with Ryan Tannehill -- but it's not a sure thing. Look at Blake Bortles. Guy still can't throw the damn football after like four years in the NFL.

Beach Bum 91 likes this.
  22. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

But just because someone doesn't want Jackson doesn't mean he's hated. Lots of people here just don't think that he'll make a good NFL QB

Ozzy rules!!

Ray R, outlawd2u and Schleprock like this.
  23. 67Stang

67Stang FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

No 60% completion athletes cut it in the NFL. His completion % was horrible against any team with talent. NO!

24. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs UCF 13-0 Finheaven VIP Donator

Ahh yes, the ol' "he doesn't talk right (white) so keep him away from my team."

Locke, Elle Clouds and Kdawg954 like this.
  25. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

Easily the last thing I could ever be worried about. i grew up around those Pompano/Deerfield Beach stomping grounds . . . .newsflash . . . Everybody talks like that . . . Hell even myself it comes out when I am around my folks.

But thats high stakes football around these parts.

I have heard Lamar speak, and honestly he seems like a real good kid. I am more concerned with long term ability to read NFL defenses.

Year 1 he will be exciting, when that NFL tape gets on him how and will he be able to adjust is the question.

i don't believe he is a fit for the Gase system but some team is gonna get one hell of an athlete when they select him.

26. BlueUndertow

BlueUndertow Well-Known Member

Still think we should draft Lamar Jackson and run 2 QB sets. It could be the new wildcat.

27. abNORMal

abNORMal A True Fan

Tannehill will be 30. Kinda stupid to still be waiting for your 30 year QB to develop, especially without a contingency plan in place. IMO his window is closing, RT will make pretty good backup QB, somewhere.

Elle Clouds, 72 silky and Tannchise like this.
  28. Tannchise

Tannchise Banned Hammered

people don't get that. They expect big things. That bus left

Dolphins81 likes this.
  29. Dolphins81

Dolphins81 Well-Known Member

Agreed! I would take Mayfield at 11. Maybe that loss to GA brought him back down to reality. LJ, he is a maybe 2nd round project.

30. Dolphins81

Dolphins81 Well-Known Member

Yup, Miami should definitely be looking at the future and get their QB that can be groomed. 30 with a bad knee....it isn’t going to get better.

31. AllFinsAllDay

AllFinsAllDay A True Fan

I have a pretty good idea why....

32. montequi

montequi Middle Timer

Not exactly:

Pat White - 6'0'' 205
    Lamar Jackson - 6'3" 212

Oh...and Dak Prescott is 6'2", 226

33. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

I know its not logical but I d'ont want Mayfield. Oklahoma QB's done do well in the NFL.

34. jazz015

jazz015 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

oh believe me I know too. I was just providing football reasons

35. J. David Wannyheimer

Yeah, it's because Josh Allen has one of the best arms I've ever seen in football. I don't know if he's got a Jeff George arm, but the fact that I even thought of Jeff George says a lot.

And again, I wouldn't draft Allen at 11. Too many question marks, too much development needed.

36. Michigan Mike

Michigan Mike FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

No QB is worth taking in the first round for the Dolphins in this year's draft. There are way too many holes and immediate needs that can be filled with the 11th pick. If Jackson or Mayfield is still on the board, I would rather see the team trade down to a team that has a man-crush on one of them and get another pick to possibly fill another need.

37. AllFinsAllDay

AllFinsAllDay A True Fan

I am not saying we should draft the kid at 11 but the excuses being given are not very good. The guy is obviously talented and someone is going to coach him up and he is going to be pretty good IMO. To say that Allen is better than him when the guy played against worse competition and played is disappointing,

When a QB comes out and he posses tremendous skills and your first instinct is to say "well he will need to change position" or "he cant comprehend the playbook" it makes you wonder why the same thing isnt being said about the other QB'S.

38. Birdmond

Birdmond A True Fan Donator

No way Pat White was anywhere close to 6’ and 205. I’m 6’2” and 210 and met Pat White in Nashville at the Titans game. I looked like a giant standing next to White.

39. J. David Wannyheimer

You yourself admit he needs to be 'coached up.' Lots of quarterbacks need to be coached up, and few of them are successful.

Think about some famous examples of quarterbacks who needed a lot of work on their throwing mechanics who were drafted in the first round on their talent, and consider how they turned out. The most obvious recent guys would be Aaron Rodgers, Tim Tebow, and Blake Bortles. One's out of the NFL, one's an interception machine, and Aaron Rodgers sat behind Brett Favre for years while he fixed his throwing motion.

I think Lamar Jackson makes sense going to a team that wants to run a read option offense, or as a later round pick for a team willing to spend years developing him as a passer. In either case, if Miami spends the 11th pick in the draft (or the 43rd pick, is it?) on him, I'll blow a friggin' gasket.

FinaticalFinfan likes this.
  40. AllFinsAllDay

AllFinsAllDay A True Fan

I understand that and I wouldn't want us to use the 11th pick on Jackson like I said before. I think as a developmental guy I would have no problem taking him later if possible. Just dont dismiss the guy as some bum at QB the guy can play. I almost feel that he is going to end up with BUF or NYJ and we are going to end up paying for it.