Why Not Draft Lamar Jackson? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Not Draft Lamar Jackson?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/lamar-jackson-1.html

I don't understand why we would even consider passing on a player that has this much potential to transcend the team. Am I reading right that he has 5,200 yards and 45 TDs this year ? LOL

Teams in Houston, LA, SF and Philly all have an enthusiasm towards their team. Yes two are coming off injuries, but their small sample size was more transcending than anything Miami has seen since the mid 1990's. In the NFL, Jackson will run less and have less rushing TDs. However, the ability to keep the chains moving is what makes this kid so appetizing.

I love the way Jackson played in his last 4 games. IMHO, Miami has been a mediocre team, playing with mediocre quarterbacks. Fans will not only lose their minds waiting for him to be transcending, it will never happen. There are too many needs for Tannehill to succeed. The SF 49ers were in the same position, however, now are re-buiding their team differently and easier because Garropolo is their qb.

Worst case scenario, why are we afraid of real qb competition? Have we really spent 1st round picks well in recent years? There are 1,000 Tannehill debates. Well, if the qb was playing well, there would be no debates. Miami cannot afford to have a mediocre qb, when the Jets, Bills and Pats will all have upgraded the same qb.

There you go again.

You've decided that RT isn't the answer based on bunch of team stats. Ok, that's ok. Everyone gets a vote here at Finheaven. But you have also decided that a player that hasn't played a single down in the NFL is a guaranteed HOF, elite QB (because there are so many truly elite QB that they just rain down each year in the draft). I guess I'm just wondering why you think he's such a lock on being great given all the years of players getting drafted with 'sure fire' type labels flaming out?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/lamar-jackson-1.html

I don't understand why we would even consider passing on a player that has this much potential to transcend the team. Am I reading right that he has 5,200 yards and 45 TDs this year ? LOL

Teams in Houston, LA, SF and Philly all have an enthusiasm towards their team. Yes two are coming off injuries, but their small sample size was more transcending than anything Miami has seen since the mid 1990's. In the NFL, Jackson will run less and have less rushing TDs. However, the ability to keep the chains moving is what makes this kid so appetizing.

I love the way Jackson played in his last 4 games. IMHO, Miami has been a mediocre team, playing with mediocre quarterbacks. Fans will not only lose their minds waiting for him to be transcending, it will never happen. There are too many needs for Tannehill to succeed. The SF 49ers were in the same position, however, now are re-buiding their team differently and easier because Garropolo is their qb.

Worst case scenario, why are we afraid of real qb competition? Have we really spent 1st round picks well in recent years? There are 1,000 Tannehill debates. Well, if the qb was playing well, there would be no debates. Miami cannot afford to have a mediocre qb, when the Jets, Bills and Pats will all have upgraded the same qb.

Why do you think Garappolo is better than Tannehill? Other than the fact that he is not a Dolphins QB.

Because we already have a quarterback who will never be an all pro in Ryan Tannehill.

Did you watch Louisville vs Mississippi State?

He is no winner, just look at Louisville record last three years.

8-5 : Won Bowl Game
9-4 : Lost Bowl Game
8-5 : Lost Bowl Game

No thanks!

I'll say this... Jackson is a guy I want absolutely no part of as a QB for the Miami Dolphins, but he's also the type of player that our defense and only our defense would make look like a hall of famer when we play him. To me he's another Tyrod Taylor.

Don’t be surprised if Jackson or Mayfield falls to 11 and we take them. I wouldn’t be surprised at all.

When you look at a player like Jackson you hope he is Mariota...A superior athlete that is also a very good QB...Jackson is not that. I won't downplay his ability to make plays at the college level, but so could Tebow, but very few would argue that Tebow should be an NFL QB. I don't doubt that some team will take Jackson by the end of the second round, but expecting anything other than a backup role with some package play is a real reach.

I wouldn't use a first round pick on but he is definitely worth a 2nd round chance. The problem I have with Jackson is that who does he compare to in the NFL? He isn't Cam Newton, no where near Cam size and strength and that's the size he would need to be to be successful in the NFL and have a long career with his playing style. The closets comparison would be Colin Kapernick and we have seen him struggle after defense found him out and forced him to throw the ball. Same with Vince Young and RG3, great rookie years but once defenses forced them to throw in the pocket and showed complex defenses and forced them to read coverages, they got exposed. I see the same issue with Lamar Jackson. His size/playing style and accuracy issues isn't a good combination for the NFL.

Did you watch Louisville vs Mississippi State?

He is no winner, just look at Louisville record last three years.

8-5 : Won Bowl Game
9-4 : Lost Bowl Game
8-5 : Lost Bowl Game

No thanks!

Drew Brees went 9-4, 7-5, 8-4 in 98, 99, and 00...Louisville isn't exactly a powerhouse.

Drafting Jackson would mean a total restructuring of the offense to fit his skill set. His accuracy issues could be masked some by the exagerated passing lanes and break downs in the secondary due to defenses focusing on his run threat. I would rather go a different dirrection, but I'm on record saying whoever drafts Jackso should also sign Kaepernick as a similar styled veteran to tutor him.

His athletic ability is tempting and very exciting. I think he's more like a Colin Kaepernick type prospect. If a team can keep him in the pocket, he's not going to win games for you. At least not now.

I think he has a long way to go. If a team could be patient with him, maybe he becomes something. That's the problem with the NFL, though. A lot of these quarterbacks are thrown out there before they are ready. NE could be a nice spot for him because then he could sit for 2-3 or 10 years depending on when Tom Brady retires.

Two straight bowl failures vs. the SEC. At least he was more competent this time but it included tons of mistakes and all of his weaknesses.

Jackson now seems determined to either take off and run haphazardly, or force flatfooted throws into traffic. I don't necessarily recommend either strategy in the NFL.

He will make countless big plays with his legs as long as they remain healthy. But instead of an extremely instinctive Russell Wilson component where he gives himself up before contact, Jackson actually creates contact. He'll launch forward. I don't know how it's possible to watch his game without counting down the number of NFL hits before one of them changes his career.

The passing simply isn't natural. You can tell he's working on it. Big changes from 2016 but not a finished product and not all the changes have been positive. He'll lock on and make a slightly inaccurate throw from a flatfooted position and with awkward somewhat stiff mechanics. Ball pointed outward a little bit like Rodgers at California.

Not the worst I've ever seen from an athletic quarterback. With that much big play potential you have to allow some benefit of a doubt. I would reject him in the old NFL but with defenses hampered in this era and since Jackson has shown willingness to alter his style maybe he can figure something out. This is a tougher call than Robert Griffin, who always looked like a reject plus he had the personality issues. I don't know anything about Jackson's character.

I would not draft him at 11.

Why do you think Garappolo is better than Tannehill? Other than the fact that he is not a Dolphins QB.
Garappolo is already dissecting defenses more than Tannehill ever will. You hear him while he was mic’d Up? He was telling his WRs tendencies of the opposing defensive players and setting them up to be successful. Already making his teammates better. He’s seeing stuff previous San Francisco qbs didn’t see. Brady has taught him well. I thought it was absurd when espn said Garappolo was the 2nd best QB in the AFC east. I thought Tannehill was by default. It appears espn was right.

Back
Top Bottom