Why Not Haskins? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Not Haskins?

I'll put it this way.

To the extent that I'm game for a look at Dwayne Haskins at 13 overall, it's for the exact same reasons that in the past I've been game for a look at many other QBs in the 1st/2nd round that I considered to be flawed creatures. Essentially,if I've got nobody at the position, I'll always err on the side of taking too many gambles at that position as opposed to taking too few gambles.

But I don't love Dwayne Haskins. I like him. But I don't love him. I never have.

He's not mobile. He had really good receivers (fast as hell, coached really well) inflating him. He's a one-year guy. His accuracy goes to sh-t when he can't get his feet pointed. Too often the ball comes off his hand funny with no spin, like a knuckleball. He's heavy-limbed. He rarely, rarely threw the football with legit pro velocity. I saw it happen basically in one half of one game. That's it. He won't have it that easy in the pros. He'll have to drive the ball faster into tighter windows, and what happens when he tries that more consistently?

He got fat and slow because he couldn't be bothered to train like an athlete, even as he entered a period where he was supposed to work as hard as he could because the NFL were watching. Look at his 2017 tape versus his 2018 tape and then his Combine, and there's a steady trend there. Not a good one. He shows up at his own pro day sucking wind with his hands on his hips literally five minutes into the throwing session.

If it sounds like I'm being harsh on him, that's because trying to be among the best in the world at quarterbacking is pretty hard. It's one of the hardest things to do in sport. If you're going to do it, I want to be overwhelmed by your weapons and how you can make the game that is really not simple look easy. Frankly, that's not what I get from him.

If you look at last year's class of QBs you had Baker Mayfield who had everything (IMO), and then three guys who had flaws. The three that had flaws floundered, and it took a guy with as much talent as Baker Mayfield to actually go out there and have success and establish himself as an up-and-coming NFL starter.

That's how high the bar is. Is that a bar that Dwayne Haskins meets? No.

Im with you. I know I bashed some of what he does wrong, but I really dont hate Haskins as a prospect. If a team like the Chargers with a vet QB for another year or two in the back half of the first, Haskins is great fit and good value for them.

That said I could find at least that many things to criticize about Drew Lock. I'm not about to trash one in order to hold the other up. Neither are guys I'd love to put my name next to and say OK you're my guy for the next couple of years while we see how you develop.

If I take one of those two, I go right on evaluating the top of the next year's class. And the one after that. That pretty much encapsulates it.

Read on Rotoworld the Bengals have ONLY studied Ryan Finley. So it would seem they have no interest in replacing Dalton for now. So maybe Haskins is there at 13. What if the Giants really do like Daniel Jones? Is today the day Haskins visits Miami?

Read on Rotoworld the Bengals have ONLY studied Ryan Finley. So it would seem they have no interest in replacing Dalton for now. So maybe Haskins is there at 13. What if the Giants really do like Daniel Jones? Is today the day Haskins visits Miami?

I think so.

And I do think there's a good chance he's available at 13.

If Miami takes him, you have to admit it should've been an obvious pick. The offensive coaching staff that ran an offense through Tom Brady gets a crack at an immobile, 50-touchdown pocket passer? Seems pretty obvious.

The problem is, Chris Grier is making this pick. Not them.

I still say we should go line on either side with our first pick and draft a QB in 2020. If they want a QB this year in round 2 or 3 then fine but I see too many questions with the 3 guys that will come off the board after Murray who imo is the only sure thing(but there's no sure thing).

I would take Haskins at 13. Otherwise, I really hope we trade down.

For all of his flaws, i feel like Haskins has a leadership quality his teammates respond to. Obviously, I’m not privy to the background info, but it just seems like he has some intangible quality that I’m not able to put my finger on.

Not something that can be quantified which makes it difficult, but it’s something I feel our coaches (and Grier) value.

I still say we should go line on either side with our first pick and draft a QB in 2020. If they want a QB this year in round 2 or 3 then fine but I see too many questions with the 3 guys that will come off the board after Murray who imo is the only sure thing(but there's no sure thing).

The problem with this theory is, look at the QBs that are going to be available next year? Who doesn't have question marks? If there is one, Miami is going to be in the exact same situation next year. Kyler Murray, has one question, size. Hes going #1 overall. The QB with the least question marks is going #1. If you don't have a QB on the roster, you should be starting that process. Next year, we win a few games, then we are out of reach of QBs of even Lock or Haskins grade.

Lets just say hypothetically the Dolphins draft 10th next year. Who is available at 10 that doesn't have the same questions the guys do this year?

The problem with this theory is, look at the QBs that are going to be available next year? Who doesn't have question marks? If there is one, Miami is going to be in the exact same situation next year. Kyler Murray, has one question, size. Hes going #1 overall. The QB with the least question marks is going #1. If you don't have a QB on the roster, you should be starting that process. Next year, we win a few games, then we are out of reach of QBs of even Lock or Haskins grade.

Lets just say hypothetically the Dolphins draft 10th next year. Who is available at 10 that doesn't have the same questions the guys do this year?
If we draft 10 next year with this roster then Flores is the greatest HC ever but that's another thread.

I'm ok drafting a QB but it doesn't have to be at 13 unless they feel he's the guy. We should draft a QB but I'd feel better doing it on day 2, specially if we move back and get more picks. The team has so many needs that I'd hate to draft a QB at 13 only to find out we need to draft another one in 2020. I want as much value as possible with every pick. Sometimes you need to ask yourself, are we better off with a QB at 13 and and going line at 48? Or do we get more value with a top line guy(defense or offense) and a QB at 48? But hey, it's not my decision to make and I'm not a "guru".....I just state my opinion.

His lack of mobility is one thing but his inability to re set and throw accurately if he is moved off his spot is truly worrisome.

He COULD be Joe Flacco but I am not confident of that.

If you don’t feel strongly enough about him to move up, then why draft him at all? If you draft a quarterback in the first round, it’s to be a starter.

With that logic, is every QB taken outside the top 10 drafted to be a backup? I don't get it. I don't feel strongly enough to trade up for several players we'll likely have the option to take at 13, should we not draft any of them?

My answer is obviously that it costs draft capital to move up. The gamble isn't worth the draft capital.

My thing is if they draft Haskins and he’s legit, they still could easily have the #1 pick in next year’s draft that could be worth a record haul in trade value.

With that logic, is every QB taken outside the top 10 drafted to be a backup? I don't get it. I don't feel strongly enough to trade up for several players we'll likely have the option to take at 13, should we not draft any of them?

My answer is obviously that it costs draft capital to move up. The gamble isn't worth the draft capital.

I never mentioned top 10.

I don’t know that I care all that much about the sucking wind thing at the pro day.

If he was gassed he made some nice throws. A little high on some but I’d probably chalk that up to being amped up.

Won’t surprise me in tbe least if he sees pick 13.

Reactions: A1.
My thing is if they draft Haskins and he’s legit, they still could easily have the #1 pick in next year’s draft that could be worth a record haul in trade value.

And if he sucks, I would have no problem being in the Cardinals situation either. Now, I don’t think Rosen sucks, but I think Murray is a better prospect. Even if Haskins comes out and does okay, but we still falter because of a garbage roster and we have a shot at a better prospect next year, see ya later Haskins.

I never mentioned top 10.

I just don’t get your point. You can like a player, QB or any position, without liking him enough to trade away picks to go get him.

It doesn’t make him any more or less draft-able at 13, if I’m not willing to trade up and get him.

Back
Top Bottom