Why Not Haskins? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Not Haskins?

I think Haskins is a bad fit for Miami, because:

1. You're not going to start him as a rookie behind this OL. There are too many holes to fill, particularly if you bypass OL in Round 1. Murray has the athleticism and improvisation to survive. Haskins doesn't.
2. If you're not starting him as a rookie, you should measure him vs the 2020 options. Tua is (I think) clearly a better prospect. Herbert isn't now but could be. Fromm is close to Haskins but safer. Love isn't as good yet but has a higher ceiling. So, even if Miami messes up by winning 4-5 games, they're still likely to have a comparable, and likely better, option available in 2020.
3. The extra year will allow Miami time to build the OL, allow rookies from the 2019 class a year to develop.
4. The same is true of receivers. Miami needs to replace Landry with a high-volume WR who has more big-play ability. There is no go-to receiver on the roster. Ideally, Miami would add a WR in 2019 and another in 2020.
5. Imo Murray is special, and you don't pass on special. Otherwise, Miami is a bad team that needs to right a lot of wrongs before it's in a position to do anything. I think it makes more sense to bring in the QB on Year 2 of the rebuild, where some of the foundation is in place, than Year 1.

If Miami does draft Haskins to sit him for a year, I will understand it, and he will be the best QB prospect they've had since Marino, but - sadly - that's not saying much. Looking for a QB in 2020 makes much more sense - unless you think Haskins is special.

If this regime doesn't love Haskins then they shouldn't draft him just to draft a QB. They may "like" him but again they shouldn't draft him over someone else that they actually love at #13.

We need to hit on a QB instead of wasting another 8 or 9 years. I really believe the front office that drafted Tannehill, were not absolutely in love with him as a prospect, and drafted him to just finally have a "franchise" QB in place.

I was actually thinking about giving Haskins two years even if we get the #1 pick next year. If we get the #1 in 2020 you trade that pick for a record haul. You build the team AND have multiple first and second round picks in 2021 and then you’ve got a shot to draft football Jesus.

If we have the 1st pick, I’m not trading it for anything.

Yeah people get fired over qb draft decisions not do overs

And definitely not the very next year.

That’s why I haven’t really bought in to tbe Murray’s a lock to the cards stuff all along.

You draft Haskins you are putting 3 years and your eggs in his basket easy. That’s probably the biggest deterrent for me. Knowing that the next half decade pretty much is all in his basket.

That said after tua I don’t know that any of the other potential QBs in the next class are better prospects than Haskins.

Last edited:
I would love Haskins at #13, or even in a slight trade up. If the NY Giants pass, I'd look to trade up to the 7th or 8th spot. Detroit at #8 could be a good trade partner for Miami since Matt Patricia worked with Brian Flores and the Lions are said to want to move down to get more picks.

Haskins has virtually everything you want in a quarterback. He's accurate, has a strong arm, played well in the biggest games, seems to see the field well and made good decisions. I wish he were more mobile and agree with others that you've got to concentrate more on pass blocking with him than a more mobile quarterback. The one year thing is hard to judge. On the one hand, you'd like him to have more games under his belt. Then again, he flat out dominated in one season. If that's a starting point, wow.

Yeah people get fired over qb draft decisions not do overs

And definitely not the very next year.

That’s why I haven’t really bought in to tbe Murray’s a lock to the cards stuff all along.

You draft Haskins you are putting 3 years and your eggs in his basket easy. That’s probably the biggest deterrent for me. Knowing that the next half decade pretty much is all in his basket.

That said after tua I don’t know that any of the other potential QBs in the next class are better prospects than Haskins.

ding ding - either put your eggs in Haskins basket or do the same next year with fromm/herbert because I am not convinced we're steamrolling for a #1 overall.

I don't see Fitzpatrick going 2-14...I just don't.

if haskins isn't there at 13, fine, decision is made for us. we can roll the dice with Fromm/Herbert/maybe Tua, whoever in 2020. Just know that we're throwing that kid in year 1, regardless of what our roster looks like.

at least if Haskins is there at 13 we can sit him , develop him, and keep building the team with another top 10 pick next year. then boom, he starts 2020.

ding ding - either put your eggs in Haskins basket or do the same next year with fromm/herbert because I am not convinced we're steamrolling for a #1 overall.

I don't see Fitzpatrick going 2-14...I just don't.

if haskins isn't there at 13, fine, decision is made for us. we can roll the dice with Fromm/Herbert/maybe Tua, whoever in 2020. Just know that we're throwing that kid in year 1, regardless of what our roster looks like.

at least if Haskins is there at 13 we can sit him , develop him, and keep building the team with another top 10 pick next year. then boom, he starts 2020.

They draft a first round pick qb he’s gonna see game run in 2019 at some point. Fitz benches himself.

That’s been his whole career.

If Flores wants Haskins then he will tailor the offense to fit his immobility just like NE did for Brady. As great as Brady is the 5 years or so most of his passes are the short crossing routes to Edelman and quicker seam routes to Gronk and alot of RB receptions. Haskins game at OSU was similar so he would be an easy fit for that type of game plan. Haskins is very accurate on those throws (way better than Lock).
One thing scouts like about him was his ability to move quickly through progressions- something Tannehill was a complete failure at.
I think the Bengals are in play for him to let him sit behind Dalton for a year.

I think Haskins is a bad fit for Miami, because:

1. You're not going to start him as a rookie behind this OL. There are too many holes to fill, particularly if you bypass OL in Round 1. Murray has the athleticism and improvisation to survive. Haskins doesn't.
2. If you're not starting him as a rookie, you should measure him vs the 2020 options. Tua is (I think) clearly a better prospect. Herbert isn't now but could be. Fromm is close to Haskins but safer. Love isn't as good yet but has a higher ceiling. So, even if Miami messes up by winning 4-5 games, they're still likely to have a comparable, and likely better, option available in 2020.
3. The extra year will allow Miami time to build the OL, allow rookies from the 2019 class a year to develop.
4. The same is true of receivers. Miami needs to replace Landry with a high-volume WR who has more big-play ability. There is no go-to receiver on the roster. Ideally, Miami would add a WR in 2019 and another in 2020.
5. Imo Murray is special, and you don't pass on special. Otherwise, Miami is a bad team that needs to right a lot of wrongs before it's in a position to do anything. I think it makes more sense to bring in the QB on Year 2 of the rebuild, where some of the foundation is in place, than Year 1.

If Miami does draft Haskins to sit him for a year, I will understand it, and he will be the best QB prospect they've had since Marino, but - sadly - that's not saying much. Looking for a QB in 2020 makes much more sense - unless you think Haskins is special.
Those are all excellent points. I think the front office likely has had a similar conversation. If any rookie quarterback was forced into starting for Miami this year it wouldn't be good, even a mobile one like Murray. The Dolphins may currently have the least talent in the NFL on offense. That's not ideal for a young quarterback. It does make more sense to build that talent around the quarterback first but...

For me, it really comes down to the evaluation. If you think Haskins can become a top 10 caliber quarterback you take him. You just don't know what 2020 holds. Tua could stay one more year, right? That could mean one less quarterback to choose from. Someone could get hurt or under perform. Then there's the possibility that everything goes right for Miami and the team ends up picking in the middle of the pack again. Lots of variables there.

In general, though, I do agree with you. If I knew for sure Miami would get a similar or better value in 2020 (likely I think), I'd stick with the plan of building the trenches.

I can't see Miami trading up for anyone in this draft given the amount of holes on the roster and would be shocked if they don't trade down. I guess I should add I would be elated if they picked at 13 because it means they likely see a can't miss prospect made it to them.

Haskins making it to 13 would be a pretty rough indictment of him. He'd make it past several QB-needy teams and likely the Redskins too since they would need only trade up 3 spots. I don't see it happening. The Bengals at the very least make a whole lot of sense for him.

One thing no one is talking about (at least as far as I've seen) is Miami trading out of this draft almost entirely. It could happen and would push all of the chips to the center of the table for next year. I would love it. Problem is there are other teams likely salivating at the 2020 class, especially the good teams who can afford to trade their picks this year for a king's ransom next year.

As for Haskins, I'm higher on him than most in here and would be pumped if we drafted him, but the timing may just be off on this selection for this team in particular.

I have him behind Murray and Tua but ahead of the this years and next years batch.

But he'd get killed behind this OL.

If Grier agrees with you and loves Haskins, they should trade up for him imo. Getting one of the 3 QBs next year is reasonable, but if he only wants Tua, that’s a huge gamble. Whoever has the #1 overall pick next year might not want to trade it for any price since they’ll likely need a QB too.

I've soured on Haskins a lot.

The pillsbury doughboy imitation he pulled at his pro day is a HUGE RED FLAG IMO.

That coupled with his miniature sample size and less than stellar mental chops =

I'd rather wait.

Back
Top Bottom