Why not Kyle Pitts @ #3 or lets say #6/7 | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why not Kyle Pitts @ #3 or lets say #6/7

Tight end has the lowest dollar value of any position player franchise tag ($10.2M), followed by running back and safety. The salary slot for the #3 pick is $5.8M per year. If you take Pitts at #3, you are expecting that Pitts will be a top-15 tight end in his rookie season. That's a big, big risk.

I don't think anyone is, or would argue otherwise.

As an example of what I was saying, do you think TB or Aikman have the same careers if drafted by, say, Cincinnati? Do you think Tory Holt and Isaac Bruce have the same stats without Martz, and Joe Flacco as the QB?

I think it applies moreso to offensive skill players, and some players are so dominant that they trancsend their situation, but for most guys, it makes a difference.
Bruce was productive before Martz and after Martz although aging too. And so was Holt after Martz even though he retired early. Holt was just in his prime when he caught over 1500 yards. Martz won a ring as an offensive coordinator for the rams and he happen to call out plays as the head coach later also. Both Bruce and Holt created a lot of separation as receivers. On the top of that Marshall Faulk also became a better rb but he was also talented prior to the rams. As long as holt and Bruce played over 14 games their production was consistent. But overall you make a point. Some players like Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Bruce, and etc were just of another breed. Very gifted athletes and much as you once said you don't see a Calvin J or a Julio Jones in the wrs I also don't see a Shockley/Winslow/Gonzalez/sharpe kind of value on any kind of tight end in the draft.

Last edited:
Tight end has the lowest dollar value of any position player franchise tag ($10.2M), followed by running back and safety. The salary slot for the #3 pick is $5.8M per year. If you take Pitts at #3, you are expecting that Pitts will be a top-15 tight end in his rookie season. That's a big, big risk.
Maybe just me but sure seems like fans act like it's their personal money!

Seriously. Who the fock cares.

Terming that a "big, big" risk is nonsense IMO.

That is for a team to decide. When we go into the season we will see how great all these players we rave about are. With all the arguments people make here I am expecting every receiver to get 1000 yards minimum.

No we will not see because we are looking only at college performances for the purposes of the draft. The reason people talk about Pitts that high is because they see him as one of the best prospects at receiver, anywhere on the field, in this draft, based on college performances.
You can disagree with that, that he is one of the best receivers. You can say that he is not one of the best receivers in the draft, that there are 10, there are 20 better receivers, and that because of that Pitts should not be a consideration. But you cannot say that because he is listed as TE he should not be drafted that high, because it is not about that, it's about receiving prospects.

We are fans we want to see rings wins production etc.
I want to see "good football." Exciting games. No cheats. NO BS ref calls. Just good hard clean football.

No prissy ****. No flag football for certain QBs. No *wink* legal OL holding for certain coitus backs.

Winning is great. But championships are rare and fleeting. Be consistently competitive. Be in the chase.

Play meaningful games into January. Have a shot at the golden ring.

And most important ------- have the best, most beautiful, most sexy cheerleaders!

There is no player in this draft that can play anywhere near the game Devonta Smith can. Not Pitts, Chase, Waddle( injury has made him very questionable now). If you watched all of Smith's games and its not even close the explosiveness and ability to get huge plays and TDs from anywhere on the field. Pitts might be great at getting 10-20 yard gains in the NFL. Smith will turn a 10 yarder into 60 yards in a second. Plus more importantly he opens up the entire field for the other skill guys just like Tyreke Hill does.

No we will not see because we are looking only at college performances for the purposes of the draft. The reason people talk about Pitts that high is because they see him as one of the best prospects at receiver, anywhere on the field, in this draft, based on college performances.
You can disagree with that, that he is one of the best receivers. You can say that he is not one of the best receivers in the draft, that there are 10, there are 20 better receivers, and that because of that Pitts should not be a consideration. But you cannot say that because he listed as TE he should not be drafted that high, because it is not about that, it's about receiving prospects.

I agree with you brother. The other argument I am leaving out is that we will find our gems in the second round. That goes for any position but mainly pointing out receiver. History has made things clear when it comes to receivers. Since 2015 we only had two pro bowl receivers drafted in the 1st round. So that means top 10 receivers drafted that high dont turn out great. Not busts, but guys like Corey Davis drafted top 5 result in being average. OK could be situation but he hasnt even been the best receiver in his team. Brown aka his number one collected himself thousand yard seasons. Is all at the end of a day a situational thing.

Well we all know the overwhelming odds are there WILL BE some "busts."

Seems to me identifying the highest bust potentials is as important as identifying upside.

For me, Smith has by far the highest bust potential based on his lack of physicality.

I think he's going to get busted up in the Pros. And manhandled.
Exactly, The only receiver I’m spending 3 on is Pitts!

I wonder if anyone watched this game. This game has about every player this group rants about. I'm just surprised I been the only one in here to even talk about Toney. If any of you have time watch these extended highlights.

Couldn't careless where we draft the guy and what his stats are at the end of the year. If Pitts is drafted at 3 and helps open up the entire offense where Tua benefits the most is all I care about. I don't need a single player to put up record stats, I want a team where any week a different player is the biggest threat because of the match up problems our offense creates.
So if it's Pitts at 3 and Harris at 18 so be it.

First and foremost, we can only assume we might get a "truckload" for #3. Tho I definitely believe the pick will be in demand! And yet again -- I have to underscore the fact it's a gift pick -- so we should use it as such and not be conservative. Personally I'd have a very hard time passing on Wilson if the Jets don't grab him. After that I believe the best value play is the trade for "truckload" scenario. Tho the only pathway to a certified "truckload" is to trade down to the bottom 1/3 of R1. If we nibble down we won't be getting anything extraordinary -- but most likely another R2. In this draft that additional R2 is good value. That said, this kid Pitts is VERY enticing and could prove to be impossible to pass on. I don't see him as a "TE" but a multi-positional football player / receiver who has the potential to be an IMPOSSIBLE mismatch. Point is he has so many special "features" including size, speed, quicks, explosion etc. Dude is definitely a HIGH-PERFORMANCE machine -- and if he optimizes his game in the NFL he's got a legit shot at "greatness." No guarantees but wow -- super lofty prospect.
Dude, a move down to 6,7 or 8 will land Miami a first in 2022 as a starting point. Teams moving up for a QB pay big. Look at recent history. Otherwise you don’t bother moving down. I stand by my truckload comment. I see a first in 2022 and a second rounder minimum.

Dude, a move down to 6,7 or 8 will land Miami a first in 2022 as a starting point. Teams moving up for a QB pay big. Look at recent history. Otherwise you don’t bother moving down. I stand by my truckload comment. I see a first in 2022 and a second rounder minimum.
The only thing I disagree with is a 2022 first, and a second being a "truckload". That's just standard compensation.

Back
Top Bottom