Why not Kyle Pitts @ #3 or lets say #6/7 | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why not Kyle Pitts @ #3 or lets say #6/7

Dude, a move down to 6,7 or 8 will land Miami a first in 2022 as a starting point. Teams moving up for a QB pay big. Look at recent history. Otherwise you don’t bother moving down. I stand by my truckload comment. I see a first in 2022 and a second rounder minimum.
Dude, a deferred R1 ('22 draft) is the SAME value as R2 in '21.

Ain't NO truckload about that!

:rolleyes:

Maybe just me but sure seems like fans act like it's their personal money!

Seriously. Who the fock cares.

Terming that a "big, big" risk is nonsense IMO.
Pitts is an all-catch, no-block TE. We already have one of those in Gesecki (who we're going to have to pay next offseason) and you can't play two. If you decide Pitts is a WR, he duplicates the traits we already have on the outside -- big, good leapers, no lateral separation. He doesn't fit with the roster to which we have already committed, which diminishes the chances he'll be the top-15 starter as a rookie that you need him to be.

And back to the money. The NFL has a hard salary cap. When you spend more at a no -premium position, you have to dig through the bargain bin at the premium positions. Teams that are successful get surplus value from players on their rookie contracts. Kansas City won its Super Bowl because Mahomes allowed them to way underspend at the most important position on the field and instead use those dollars to strengthen at more positions.

Take the $5.8M/yr slot for the #3 pick and compare that against the salaries at the various positions. At QB, you're paying the player a backup salary. At DE or WR, you're paying the player a rotational backup salary. At TE, you're paying him a top-15 starter salary. That's terrible value.

I've read 4.5 area for the 40. If that holds to be true, that's damn good for his size. Not sure if he will do a 3 cone, but if he proves to be as agile as he seems on film, I'm thinking he easily moves ahead of the other recieving prospects IMO.

I wouldn't be too shocked if he's actually a tenth or so faster than that tbh. He has the wheels. If he does run sub 4.5, not sure how we can pass on him.

I wonder if anyone watched this game. This game has about every player this group rants about. I'm just surprised I been the only one in here to even talk about Toney. If any of you have time watch these extended highlights.

I have watched every single one of Pitts's games as a Gator and pretty much every Toney game too. I know which one is the better, cleaner, more impactful to Tua prospect and it's not the former high school QB. Toney is electric after the catch but he's still got a lot to work on in his game he's only really developed reasonable route running skills in the last season and they still need a lot of polish. Toney is more similar to Bowden than Pitts is to Gesicki. Toney is someone you can flip the ball out to and ask to do some magic with it, he'll be good for a couple of these kinds of plays every game but Pitts is someone that a young QB can lean upon in almost every situation. Toney is a 3rd round talent that will probably be over drafted in the first, I hope as a former gator he translates to the NFL but I would put a lot more money on Pitts being the smoother transition.

Last edited:
Pitts is an all-catch, no-block TE. We already have one of those in Gesecki (who we're going to have to pay next offseason) and you can't play two. If you decide Pitts is a WR, he duplicates the traits we already have on the outside -- big, good leapers, no lateral separation. He doesn't fit with the roster to which we have already committed, which diminishes the chances he'll be the top-15 starter as a rookie that you need him to be.

And back to the money. The NFL has a hard salary cap. When you spend more at a no -premium position, you have to dig through the bargain bin at the premium positions. Teams that are successful get surplus value from players on their rookie contracts. Kansas City won its Super Bowl because Mahomes allowed them to way underspend at the most important position on the field and instead use those dollars to strengthen at more positions.

Take the $5.8M/yr slot for the #3 pick and compare that against the salaries at the various positions. At QB, you're paying the player a backup salary. At DE or WR, you're paying the player a rotational backup salary. At TE, you're paying him a top-15 starter salary. That's terrible value.

Un educated, ill informed nonsense, do some research.

Not for this team at all. I get people are just having diacussions but TE isn't a need over offensive line. We have the 7th ranked te in the league and the 28th ranked offensive line. Even if we had to trade down we still need to fill those positions.
What a short sighted view. That's how you miss out on elite talent.

You know ever since Tua time all I hear about from a lot of folks when it comes to receiver is separation!

My gawd it's like an unending drumbeat -- yet the film from last year showed Might Mouse wide open many times

but the ball didn't come his way. Most catches in the NFL -- the receiver isn't "wide open" through Travis Kelce

gets a ton of catches where he's squatting in a zone "uncovered." There's a rumor that the system and

associated teammates contribute to this phenomena. Beyond that -- Mike Gesicki makes catches when he's

triple teamed -- because he was the #1 threat opposing defenses targeted. Another rumor that opposing

defenses figured out Tua real quick and took his bread and butter away -- not very nice IMO!

That said, doesn't matter who is QB --- this kid Pitts is a pending NFL nightmare and if you don't see that

well I guess all you know about a receiver is this supposed "separation" nonsense.

I think somebody could move up to get this type of freak, he absolutely won’t get past the Eagles at 6, so I’ll change it to top 6.
The Eagles could do it but they have Goedert so I think they go for a WR at that spot unless they really want a QB.
I can see Pitts going 8 to Carolina if they stay at 8 but I'm hoping they trade with us.

The Eagles could do it but they have Goedert so I think they go for a WR at that spot unless they really want a QB.
I can see Pitts going 8 to Carolina if they stay at 8 but I'm hoping they trade with us.
I would be uneasy expecting him to fall to 8...too many teams that could trade down...but we will see.

I don’t see Pitts limited to playing traditional tight end, so I don’t see Goedert as stopping the Eagles from taking a serious receiving weapon.

Back
Top Bottom