Why Ogun is a goner... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Ogun is a goner...

Canuck

Starter
Reaction score
Much has been debated about whether or not Ogun will receive an offer and some team will be willing to forgo their 1st and 3rd round picks for the right to overpay him. Given the honus placed on pass rushers and the current status of available DE's in both free agency (Kearse & Winstrom) and the draft (Uzecke & Will Smith), I can only surmize that Ogun will be wearing a different uni this September. There has to be more than a dozen teams in the NFL that need a young-productive DE, some of which have the means to afford such a player. It's through that belief that I have concluded he will be gone.

I welcome the additional 1st and 3rd rounders.

Assuming that to be the case, Miami will be armed with 4 first day selections, likely two picks (20th and lower) in the first round and two picks (20th and lower) in the third. We could very will come out of day one with a WR, OL, DT and QB. I'd be very pleased with that.

Actually, Seattle's second rounder (#84), is higher than ours (#87)

what about compensation picks? we lose ruddy/perry/Nails.. all satrters and fiedler and griese.

I also think we will end up with a second rounder cus spielman always does.

Originally posted by Canuck
Much has been debated about whether or not Ogun will receive an offer and some team will be willing to forgo their 1st and 3rd round picks for the right to overpay him. Given the honus placed on pass rushers and the current status of available DE's in both free agency (Kearse & Winstrom) and the draft (Uzecke & Will Smith), I can only surmize that Ogun will be wearing a different uni this September. There has to be more than a dozen teams in the NFL that need a young-productive DE, some of which have the means to afford such a player. It's through that belief that I have concluded he will be gone.

I welcome the additional 1st and 3rd rounders.

Assuming that to be the case, Miami will be armed with 4 first day selections, likely two picks (20th and lower) in the first round and two picks (20th and lower) in the third. We could very will come out of day one with a WR, OL, DT and QB. I'd be very pleased with that.

actually, the only way i want ogun to leave is by virtue of a 1st and 3rd pick. If he does not sign an offer sheet, i have no problem with that in that the DE postion will/should not be a problem next season. Some say that we will lose him anyway after next yr since he'd be a UFA then. Maybe, but the silver lining there is that we'd have him next yr to at least duplicate this past yr and for that reason, I'm glad he's a RFA now cuz we have the advantage on him for now. If he was a uFA now, I would have a problem paying him big $$$ after just one really good yr as I would have with anybody. my feeling has always been " do it again to show me it wasn't a fluke". next yr, teams may have better plans for him as they did for Ricky. If he doesn't produce next yr, then he won't get any big offers and we can re-sign him alot cheaper. If he does better, then he'll command top $$ and we could still keep him via the tag. so either way, IMO, we have a win-win situation on our hands and if he's is tendered the highest tender, I would let him go for the picks unless it was a riciculous low ball deal to begin with. But your are right that alot of teams need good DEs and one of the most promising ones are the Skins. They are in serious need of DE and that #5 overall pick would do us wonders..........as lonfg as the FO doesn't screw it up!! :lol:

My friend sent me this link. I've never heard of the show but it doesn't matter cause John Clayton is the only guy that i fully trust that when he states something it more than likely will happen. He has all the info. It's like 26 minutes but he talks draft and he mentions that the Jets are offering Sean Ellis and Lamont Jordan for Bailey. God I pray that don't happen. It was mentioned also the Walter Jones was franchised. They mentioned Wally and Clayton mentioned that he thinks Seattle will take Wally cause Holmgren mentioned he may go against his stand of giving up a first round for a guy. Clayton says its highly likely. That would give us #20 and #23 picks. On Feely, he said he doesn't like it but thinks he can be a good QB but is concerned about him in the first year cause if he fails then they get fired. Hmm, sounds like what we've wanted all along. I love this, glad he sent it to me. The shows here in seattle and John Clayton comes on the show every Tuesday. I'm listening in every Tuesday and I'll post here of any good news.

http://www.softycentral.com/ssnds2004/040224.clayton.ram

I got this from a guy on a different board.Just though you guys would like to hear it!

Originally posted by finfan54
what about compensation picks? we lose ruddy/perry/Nails.. all satrters and fiedler and griese.

I also think we will end up with a second rounder cus spielman always does.

Compensation picks for this off-season will be awarded for the 2005 draft. Players released while under contract do not count in the compensation formula for the team releasing them and for the team that may later sign them. Only actual UFAs count and the number awarded league wide is 32 (the number of picks in a rd and number of teams in the league). Not all teams qualify and looking at what Miami lost and signed this time last year, I do not think you will get a pick.

Back
Top Bottom