Why O'Shea Was Fired | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why O'Shea Was Fired

So basically we have a bunch of lazy players who were too busy flunking classes and spending time in clubs to do their profession properly.

This raises serious questions about Flores and the players.

It's not a matter of players not trying. From what I understand the Patriots scheme involves a lot of decisions made at the line. Trying to know a system and making the correct decisions at the line at two different things. Reading it correctly but having others on offense read something different, and the play being screwed up because of it, is a different thing. It's far more than just learning the play call, and it's far harder to get 11 players in sync in that type of system. Hence the word "complex". Also why you can't just dumb down the scheme to make it easier - the very nature of its philosphy is complex.

From the article :

Former NFL quarterback David Carr, the first overall pick of the 2002 NFL Draft and now an NFL Network analyst, said Gailey will be the ideal mentor and play-caller for Tagovailoa.

“Grabbing Chan Gailey, and talking him into coming out of retirement at 68 years old, [was smart],” Carr said, adding Gailey is “a guy who’s been running RPOs [run/pass options] since Kordell Stewart in the late 90s. He really gets it.

“He’s a spread-out offense type of guy. I think this is a perfect fit for Tua, and this is really going to help him develop to learn the tempo and speed of the NFL game. It’s going to help with the presnap stuff he has to do. If they can play an up-tempo attacking-style offense that utilizes those quick throws” then Tagovailoa is likely to succeed, Carr said.

Probably be here a couple years is my take but who knows :shrug:

I don't take issue with the hire. I would rather have someone that can stick around for a while. Part of the mess with Tannehill was he kept having to learn under a new coordinator.

Another thing is these well run offenses are complex. Sean Payton and Drew Brees for instance were joking recently that their offense reads like mandarin.

The days of Coach Boone 6 play novacaine are gone.

That's exactly what I'm afraid of. And sure, it's worked for a couple of supremely talented, exceptionally well-coached teams. But it's a formula from the past for a reason. It's not what the current rules favor.

And yet we watched the Titans do exactly that. Their problem was playing from behind or just failing to score when things get tight. Was it a system issue or a QB issue?

I know where my vote lands.

Ahhhhhh...he was too hard
The guy who had the O becoming respectable?
Let's bring in Grandpa who is the old QBs BFF
Please

I think Gailey is coming in to set it up then hand it off.
Yep, I agree completely. He is here to get it ready for the next up and coming OC. I do not get the argument that this was a bad hire because he is not the “long-term” answer as our OC. If we have an OC come in and give us a consistent top 5 or top 10 offensive production, which we all want, then he’s going to be a HC for another team in a few years anyway. So really there is no long term answer for the OC because if he’s good he’s moving on to another team as HC, and if he’s not good then he’ll be gone.

Where did you get that information from? Care to share your source?

Seriously? The article clearly states the players could not keep up with the playbook.

It is not the professor's job to teach you, it is your job to learn it (student or profession). Furthermore, I have never surprised an employee with termination, if the employee was surprised (O'Shea), either he was in denial, stupid (I doubt either) or there was a lack of direction from the top....This is indicative of disfunction or poor management which raises questions.

I don't understand people's concern with Gailey not likely staying on a long time.

If we brought on a young guy and he was successful, he wouldn't be around long either.

Great point. When the Bears hired Adam Gase they pretty much had a succession plan in place when they hired him since they knew he was a hot ticket OC.

And yet we watched the Titans do exactly that. Their problem was playing from behind or just failing to score when things get tight. Was it a system issue or a QB issue?

I know where my vote lands.
I don't think we can definitively say after one partial season with Tannehill the Titans can't fix their issues and adjust accordingly. Plugging Tannehill in when they did certainly gave the team a spark over Mariota. Just because it didn't work perfectly in one season does not mean it can't work in the future.

Right now, we have two teams with similar philosophy: Great running game and great defense. They are operating at elite levels in this league. One lost in the AFC Championship game and the other in the Superbowl; both to the same team. Had the ball fallen a different way a few more times, or someone essential (Mahomes) got nicked up at the wrong time, I think history could have been very different in 2019.

Something else to consider is if the offense gets simpler, the Rosen/Fitzpatrick camp battle may be interesting if they decide to put Tua on ice.

I don't think we can definitively say after one partial season with Tannehill the Titans can't fix their issues and adjust accordingly. Plugging Tannehill in when they did certainly gave the team a spark over Mariota. Just because it didn't work perfectly in one season does not mean it can't work in the future.

Right now, we have two teams with similar philosophy: Great running game and great defense. They are operating at elite levels in this league. One lost in the AFC Championship game and the other in the Superbowl; both to the same team. Had the ball fallen a different way a few more times, or someone essential (Mahomes) got nicked up at the wrong time, I think history could have been very different in 2019.

Thing is with the Titans, that was a team built for this year. Go back and watch that young line produce for Murray. It was a window. Limited in my opinion because of lack of consistency at the QB position.

You need a QB who can hit key throws in key moments. The Titans had many of those moments leading up to KC. Bright lights....yada yada.

Back
Top Bottom