Why O'Shea Was Fired | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why O'Shea Was Fired

Seriously? The article clearly states the players could not keep up with the playbook.

It is not the professor's job to teach you, it is your job to learn it (student or profession). Furthermore, I have never surprised an employee with termination, if the employee was surprised (O'Shea), either he was in denial, stupid (I doubt either) or there was a lack of direction from the top....This is indicative of disfunction or poor management which raises questions.
Like I said in my other post. None of us knows what exactly happened. Going off a few blurbs someone posted in an article doesn't tell the entire story. Saying the players were lazy and spent all their time hanging out in clubs is baseless. We have no idea if O'Shea and Flores had discussed the issues with his offense during the season or anytime before he was let go. If you want to put all the blame on the players and Flores than that's your prerogative. I am not going to jump to that conclusion based on a few quotes from an unnamed person in some article.

Seriously? The article clearly states the players could not keep up with the playbook.

It is not the professor's job to teach you, it is your job to learn it (student or profession). Furthermore, I have never surprised an employee with termination, if the employee was surprised (O'Shea), either he was in denial, stupid (I doubt either) or there was a lack of direction from the top....This is indicative of disfunction or poor management which raises questions.

Forgive my childish grin, but isn't that exactly what a professor's job is? If he or she is not there to teach students what exactly are they doing? In all seriousness, if it's just the players job to learn things and it's not the coaches job to teach them why do you need assistant coaches, couldn't you just give the players the playbook and say "Here you go. Good luck. We'll see you in August." There would be no need for assistant coaches.

Last edited:
That makes no sense. Your telling me O’Shea couldn’t dumb down the playbook? The answer was to fire him? Well that’s solid leadership.
Well, how do you know what they tried, in-season? Perhaps they had multiple sit downs with him, told him the issues, asked him to change, gave him guidance, and he either couldn't, or refused to?

We just don't have enough information to decide, either way, whether or not it was the right call.

So basically we have a bunch of lazy players who were too busy flunking classes and spending time in clubs to do their profession properly.

This raises serious questions about Flores and the players.

@ANMoore already beat me to this, IIRC, Gase (Mr deflect all blame from himself) actually said this himself. The players didnt want to learn the plays.

With Gase i could've seen it being DVP potentially, he stayed in the doghouse. I still say his injury concerns from the 2018 season were overblown because he was begging to get back on the field saying he was healthy, his agent said likewise, even fellow players said he was healthy not injured. With DvP getting paid and having a breakout season, i would doubt it would've been him this season criticizing O'Shea/
Normally your offensive lineman are some of the smarter players on the field. If i had to point a finger, i would say its probably Rosen who would deflect blame towards O'Shea, he seams like he would have that Gase smugness. That or potentially Ballage, who if he learned the playbook...might realize where holes are going to open up, and that when you are running a route to not duck the football because its coming for you.

Along the lines of what many posters have mentioned, you're not going to go out and really get a great offensive mind at OC. Most of the time its going to be a failed HC, a washed up/retired/semi-retired OC, or a QB coach that you are just going to take a chance on because he developed a quality QB. Your best chance to get long term QUALITY and stability at the position IS (IMO), to find the brilliant OC that failed so bad as a HC that you know he'll never get a chance to HC again and have him develop coaches under him.

I know nothing good is allowed to be said about Saban around her, but one of his best qualities is it seemed like he had a coach for every friggin player. It seemed like he had assistants for assistants at all positions. Once you get players into a system and something steady then you can get more diverse. maybe every season get it a little tougher and tougher til you can have more coaches (players) on the field helping each other out. When the man beside you is confused too then its hard to lean on each other to know what your doing. Peers are where you get just as much knowledge from as coaches. I know its a little different story, but when i was in High School, every year the varsity had to spend some practices with the JV just helping to develop their skills without the coaches.

So you think a QB leading the team in rushing and having one of the worst running games in the history of the NFL is respectable?

Was just pointed out the the Fins averaged 25pts ppg games 9-16
The beginning of the year there were 2 starting OL that had been on the team a week
They were force feeding Ballage
Wilson was still in recovery it seemed where he seemed to regain his quickness after
im sorry but i saw a decent offensive scheme the 2nd half

So basically the Dolphins had a lot of young players on offense who didn’t want to take the time to learn the offense. Therefore they fire the offensive coordinator and bring in a retired OC who pretty much sucked before he retired. I really don’t understand the hiring of Gailey. If Flores wanted to fire O’Shea that was certainly his right as the HC of the team. I just wish he had replaced O’Shea with an OC who would be an upgrade and not an OC who should still be retired, IMO.
Gailey will likely retire again in a year or two and Tua and the rest of the players on offense will have to learn a new offense under a new OC.

I can understand dumb downing it if tua is plan a from tbe get go. Easing him into concepts and building upon them.

bet he proves to be a fast learner though

I think numerous coaches have come in and wanted to establish a Miami Dolphins offense.

The problem with that, is we only had one QB capable of doing that for, Tannehill, but the coach that started with him wanted Thill to mold to the offense instead of the other way around. So, from then on, the guy had to switch offensive schemes and philosophies every couple of years and never could get into a rhythm, understandably.

What we MIGHT be doing now, is bringing in a grizzled old coach, to institute an offense form he ground up, that likely better suits the newer direction of NFL offenses (RPO based) and then getting players that fit that, like Tua.

Then, my guess what will happen is that, when Gailey retires again, we won't be bringing in the hottest OC name out there but promoting from within to keep the same Miami Dolphin offense.

I think, while Flo is here, the days of chasing names (on field and sidelines) is over. I think we'll be more of a garden, where we grow our own.

So basically the Dolphins had a lot of young players on offense who didn’t want to take the time to learn the offense. Therefore they fire the offensive coordinator and bring in a retired OC who pretty much sucked before he retired. I really don’t understand the hiring of Gailey. If Flores wanted to fire O’Shea that was certainly his right as the HC of the team. I just wish he had replaced O’Shea with an OC who would be an upgrade and not an OC who should still be retired, IMO.
Gailey will likely retire again in a year or two and Tua and the rest of the players on offense will have to learn a new offense under a new OC.

Possibly not. If, in fact, Chan teaches his replacement, I doubt the replacement will completely dump a system he's familiar with, so the lingo and concepts shouldn't change appreciably. Priorities may change. Preferences may change, but I don't see the players having to 'start over.'

As for players, it's one thing for a player to come in to, say NO, and learn a system when 9-10 guys on O already have it down cold. It's another when the HC is new, the OC is new, none of the players know the lingo, AND the rookies are also learning the playbook, the NFL game, how to read the D, and other things.

Someone else has already said, we don't know al the drama behind the firing. Maybe there was a personality conflict, maybe Flo asked him to tweak the playbook and was rebuffed, maybe he wasn't playing to mismtches, maybe . . . fans don't know. We know Flo fired a few coaches for reasons we don't know. will the new guys (including CG) work out better? Jury is out

Couple things.

1.complex doesn't always mean good. Andy Reid, Kyle Shanahan, and Doug Pederson do not run complex offenses. Now at the same time that doesnt mean simple is better.

2.complex doesn't necessarily mean route combos. Could mean blocking schemes (which watching the all 22 the blocking scheme was... unnecessarily complex) and also options. If I remember right the New England scheme does have a lot of option routes that are changed consistently based on adjustments

Back
Top Bottom