Why O'Shea Was Fired | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why O'Shea Was Fired

Flores was a simple spread RPO offense to start with a young team. Team seemed to start getting the offense after the bye week. I don't think Gailey will be there more than 2 years. There must be someone on the staff Gailey will be grooming to take over in a year or 2.

One player described the situation on offense last season as a “[expletive] show,” noting O’Shea tried to teach an offense that was too complex for a young team and that teaching/instruction during film study was a “disaster.”

A few of us speculated this scenario after he was fired. There were signs throughout the season of this, and may have contributed to Flores doing the 180 on Rosen after naming him the starter.

Well regardless, last year was the first time in ages Where 3rd and 7+ didn’t seem impossible for the Miami offense. Under Gase they would always run the ball in those situations. So refreshing to see Miami throwing past the sticks last seaosn.
Or throw a bubble screen for a loss of 4.

Patriots offense doesn’t really seem that complex to me. Set illegal picks and sell them as accidental contact, O-line holds to their hearts content, PA pass in goal to go situations in which the TE pretends he’s blocking and then goes to the back of the end zone for a wide open easy TD.

Seriously? The article clearly states the players could not keep up with the playbook.

It is not the professor's job to teach you, it is your job to learn it (student or profession). Furthermore, I have never surprised an employee with termination, if the employee was surprised (O'Shea), either he was in denial, stupid (I doubt either) or there was a lack of direction from the top....This is indicative of disfunction or poor management which raises questions.
It’s not the professors job to teach, Ummm okay.
Then explain to us why he’s there if he’s not teaching our youth. That’s their sole purpose.

Forgive my childish grin, but isn't that exactly what a professor's job is? If he or she is not there to teach students what exactly are they doing? In all seriousness, if it's just the players job to learn things and it's not the coaches job to teach them why do you need assistant coaches, couldn't you just give the players the playbook and say "Here you go. Good luck. We'll see you in August." There would be no need for assistant coaches.
I've been a high school teacher for 30 years, and I would agree that a teacher/professor/coach's job is to teach. No doubt. It is also incumbent on the students/players to learn, or to try to learn. Now, there are some students who just can't grasp what you're teaching, depending on how difficult/complex it is. I teach Spanish; I should be able to teach every kid, no matter what, their colors. Spanish has two past tenses, with countless forms. They are used differently from English. Kids learn/master this at varying levels, at different speeds, because it is extremely difficult, way harder than learning colors. Some get it slowly, some get it quickly, some never get it. If I were drafting a class to try to master learning this, I would pick the type of kids I think would be able to learn this. As teachers, we don't get to choose who we teach. The NFL picks the players they want to coach. It is incumbent on management first to try to find guys who they think can learn their systems. If the players can't, management has failed the coaches. If in a general sense, players struggle with a complicated system, then coaches have to decide moving forward if it is better to adjust, change, adapt what they are doing to the norm intelligence/capabilities of the player population. That is at least what I would do to start out. You can probably ratchet up the difficulty once you have your QB and some core guys on board, that you're not starting over with 8 fresh faces for a few years during a rebuild.
But to say that a teacher, professor, or coach isn't responsible for teaching is a bit off, I would say. I agree, the players need to do their best to learn; it's their job. But it's tough to learn things when they are not taught properly. Been down that road too, as I am sure many of us have.

It’s not the professors job to teach, Ummm okay.
Then explain to us why he’s there if he’s not teaching our youth. That’s their sole purpose.

A professor's job is to provide information not MAKE YOU LEARN IT, which is exactly what the point is...period.

So many people including yourself are under the mistaken belief that teaching requires someone to learn it. It is up to the student/employee to "learn it" and if your student/employee makes the choice, not the learn through distraction, lack of effort or intelligence that is not the professor's/instructors problem.

I so love listening to the foolishness of the millennials and those who enable them who believe someone must coddle, motivate, or water down a curriculum of a program so they can "succeed". It is the student's obligation to learn it and if they have not it is by definition through lack of effort.

I've been a high school teacher for 30 years, and I would agree that a teacher/professor/coach's job is to teach. No doubt. It is also incumbent on the students/players to learn, or to try to learn. Now, there are some students who just can't grasp what you're teaching, depending on how difficult/complex it is. I teach Spanish; I should be able to teach every kid, no matter what, their colors. Spanish has two past tenses, with countless forms. They are used differently from English. Kids learn/master this at varying levels, at different speeds, because it is extremely difficult, way harder than learning colors. Some get it slowly, some get it quickly, some never get it. If I were drafting a class to try to master learning this, I would pick the type of kids I think would be able to learn this. As teachers, we don't get to choose who we teach. The NFL picks the players they want to coach. It is incumbent on management first to try to find guys who they think can learn their systems. If the players can't, management has failed the coaches. If in a general sense, players struggle with a complicated system, then coaches have to decide moving forward if it is better to adjust, change, adapt what they are doing to the norm intelligence/capabilities of the player population. That is at least what I would do to start out. You can probably ratchet up the difficulty once you have your QB and some core guys on board, that you're not starting over with 8 fresh faces for a few years during a rebuild.
But to say that a teacher, professor, or coach isn't responsible for teaching is a bit off, I would say. I agree, the players need to do their best to learn; it's their job. But it's tough to learn things when they are not taught properly. Been down that road too, as I am sure many of us have.

Don't disagree, but there are students who learn at different speeds. In this case, a rookie having to learn the playbook, how to read Ds, often learning new ways of doing what they did for 4 years. It can be tough. That's neither on the teacher or student. Just the situation. Some pick it up quickly. Some take a season. And, some apply themselves. Some don't. some respond to one teacher's style, some to another. Yeah, you know all this already. My point is, teachers can't be successful with every student, regardless how hard they try.

A professor's job is to provide information not MAKE YOU LEARN IT, which is exactly what the point is...period.

So many people including yourself are under the mistaken belief that teaching requires someone to learn it. It is up to the student/employee to "learn it" and if your student/employee makes the choice, not the learn through distraction, lack of effort or intelligence that is not the professor's/instructors problem.

I so love listening to the foolishness of the millennials and those who enable them who believe someone must coddle, motivate, or water down a curriculum of a program so they can "succeed". It is the student's obligation to learn it and if they have not it is by definition through lack of effort.
its the professor, coach, mom or dads job to provide as much information to learn about the subject at hand. That helps you understand the material presented to you. Not just hand something out and say learn it.

I think Gailey was brought in to not only tutor a new Qb but to install an Offensive philosophy that the coach likes, the caveat is also to train his young coaches and see if one might have the apptitude to run the show in a year or so. I would also remember that Flores said Gailey's O's were hard to Defense when he was coaching against him. As far as learning the playbook, the professor can only do so much. If your job is to learn and execute who's fault is it if YOU don't? Maybe the players didn't belive in what Oshea was selling?

Don't disagree, but there are students who learn at different speeds. In this case, a rookie having to learn the playbook, how to read Ds, often learning new ways of doing what they did for 4 years. It can be tough. That's neither on the teacher or student. Just the situation. Some pick it up quickly. Some take a season. And, some apply themselves. Some don't. some respond to one teacher's style, some to another. Yeah, you know all this already. My point is, teachers can't be successful with every student, regardless how hard they try.
Totally agree with this.

I agree, good stuff!

I finally paid for the subscription to the Herald, gotta see if we can help the papers survive a while longer if possible!
Why?

Print media seems like an outdated, archaic, and woefully inefficient/expensive business model in the age of electronic media.

I'm not a "tree hugger", but I also don't believe in wasting the planet's resources. The trees, and energy requred to support an organization that size isn't really justified, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom