Why reach for a quarterback | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why reach for a quarterback

islanddolphin

Scout Team
Reaction score
I have never been a fan of reaching for a player just because you may need one. If a player that you need is there when you draft and they are deserving of that draft position, then by all means take him. However, for too long the Dolphins have reached for players just because they feel they need them. Jay Cutler is looking like that type of reach this year. Actually he may not even be around for Miami to draft when they do pick. With so many solid to possibly great quarterbacks in the 2007 draft Miami would be best suited to pick the best player available in the first three rounds and in the later rounds draft a quarterback for development. Why not build up the team with solid players, so when a young quarterback is moved into the position they are surrounded by a solid team ready to win. Like what Lewis did in Cincinatti. If Cutler is there in the second round well consider drafting him there, but why take him in the first round just because he is the second best quarterback in the draft. And he may not even be the second best. Build up the defense this year, improve the offensive line and skill position players and draft a developmental quarterback late. And if he doesnt pan out there is always the first round of the 2007 draft that should have at least three and maybe five quarterbacks there for the picking.

The Dolphins would dominate teams on the ground if they draft Vince Young. Chris Chambers would have a field day. Teams would put 8 in the box trying to stop Young, Ricky, and Brown. I doubt we can afford them all but a brother can dream!

I thought I read the Titans were interested in Cutler. If this is true then it makes it more of a possibility that we would get Vince Young if he declares.

islanddolphin said:
I have never been a fan of reaching for a player just because you may need one. If a player that you need is there when you draft and they are deserving of that draft position, then by all means take him. However, for too long the Dolphins have reached for players just because they feel they need them. Jay Cutler is looking like that type of reach this year. Actually he may not even be around for Miami to draft when they do pick. With so many solid to possibly great quarterbacks in the 2007 draft Miami would be best suited to pick the best player available in the first three rounds and in the later rounds draft a quarterback for development. Why not build up the team with solid players, so when a young quarterback is moved into the position they are surrounded by a solid team ready to win. Like what Lewis did in Cincinatti. If Cutler is there in the second round well consider drafting him there, but why take him in the first round just because he is the second best quarterback in the draft. And he may not even be the second best. Build up the defense this year, improve the offensive line and skill position players and draft a developmental quarterback late. And if he doesnt pan out there is always the first round of the 2007 draft that should have at least three and maybe five quarterbacks there for the picking.

Well if we don't reach for a qb next year . Then when do you expect that we should? This is a position that has not really been addressed in quite a few years. And there are certainly guys out there that we can reach for. We just have to use the right bait to get them. Because do you really think that Gus is going to last another season. me personally I do not think he will. he is almost as fragile as I hate to say it Fiedler.

Saban won't throw away a 1st Round pick on a QB unless the guy is a "guarantee" future star. He much rather use a 1st Round pick on a WR, CB or OL that could immediately and positively impact the 2006 team.

marinotoclayton said:
Well if we don't reach for a qb next year . Then when do you expect that we should? This is a position that has not really been addressed in quite a few years. And there are certainly guys out there that we can reach for. We just have to use the right bait to get them. Because do you really think that Gus is going to last another season. me personally I do not think he will. he is almost as fragile as I hate to say it Fiedler.

Akili Smith, Cade McNown, Boller - I can go on and on with first round quarterback reaches. Like I said the first round in 07 will have a number of top quarterbacks who will be better than Cutler. We can get another year out of Gus or maybe two more out of McNair.

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
The Dolphins need to draft Vince Young!
Have you noticed where the Atlanta Falcons are heading recently? Not to the playoff for sure.:lol::lol:
We already have two running backs why get another, and I doubt Saban wants or is looking for that type of QB.

I want a QB BAD!!!!

With that said... I do not in any way wanna reach for one. That doesnt do anything but screw your team for years to come...

If Cutler is worth our time, them Saban will grab him. He is uniquely qualified to judge talent in the SEC, is he not?

I think he, Muller, and maybe even Linehan will get together and discuss what they need in a rook QB. They will then draft accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom