Why So High On Cutler? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why So High On Cutler?

Ghetti13

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
For my money, the best quarterback in the NFL is Tom Brady hands down. A short list of his closest competitors include Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, and possibly Matt Hasselbeck.

What makes these quarterbacks great?
I would argue that it is:
1. Decision Making
2. Accuracy
3. Pocket Presence / Footwork / Timing

That said, what are the biggest issues with Jay Cutler's game?
1. Decision Making
2. Accuracy

Now, I am not in the Mike Mayock "who cares if he missed the pass, look how great his velocity is" camp.

I am weary of a player who is skiddish in the pocket, throws off his back foot, and tends to struggle with accuracy. I pose the question, even if these issues are a direct result of his experiences at Vanderbilt, who is to say that those can be coached out of him even at the next level?

An argument can be made that once you lose a quarterback and he developes bad tendencies in the pocket due to years of stress, he is tough if not impossible to rebuild.

Now, I have no problem admitting that Cutler has the physical skills that make scouts and fans drool, but, how could a player with such glaring weaknesses in the most important areas of the position be getting top 5 grades?

i agree.looks like ryan leaf to me.id rather go with whitehurst

Ghetti13 said:
For my money, the best quarterback in the NFL is Tom Brady hands down. A short list of his closest competitors include Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, and possibly Matt Hasselbeck.

1. Decision Making
2. Accuracy

1. Decision Making
2. Accuracy

Now, I am not in the Mike Mayock "who cares if he missed the pass, look how great his velocity is" camp.

I am weary of a player who is skiddish in the pocket, throws off his back foot, and tends to struggle with accuracy. I pose the question, even if these issues are a direct result of his experiences at Vanderbilt, who is to say that those can be coached out of him even at the next level?

An argument can be made that once you lose a quarterback and he developes bad tendencies in the pocket due to years of stress, he is tough if not impossible to rebuild.

Now, I have no problem admitting that Cutler has the physical skills that make scouts and fans drool, but, how could a player with such glaring weaknesses in the most important areas of the position be getting top 5 grades?

First off what kind of a Fin fan says "the best quarterback in the NFL is Tom Brady hands down?!?!?!" :sidelol:
I think Cutler has alot of potential, He does have good accuracy, he has a great arm, he is smart with the ball. We would be lucky if we do get a shot at drafting him. I think he would make a great leader of our O. I would take him over a hundred Tom ***ys

You are showing your ignorance. I know that any intelligent Dolphins fan would absolutely love to have Tom Brady under center. He is an excellent quarterback.

Alot of Cutler's accuracy problems come from the fact that he is always forcing throws to try and keep his team in the ball game. He had no running game to work with. HE PLAYED FOR VANDERBILT AND IS CONSIDERED A TOP 10 PICK, SOMETHING MUST BE GOOD ABOUT HIM. Oh, yeah, he is being compared to Brett Favre.

Ghetti13 said:
You are showing your ignorance. I know that any intelligent Dolphins fan would absolutely love to have Tom Brady under center. He is an excellent quarterback.
I know I would. Tom Brady is an amazing QB.

Vertical Limit said:
I know I would. Tom Brady is an amazing QB.

Sorry, Im a die hard fan I guess. I hate the Pats more than any other team, and I would take Gus over Brady anyday. Sorry, but I cant stand him. I hated him in college too, just so happens the team I hate most took him. I wont lie, I also hate him cuz of Bledsoe. I grew up watching him play in high school and college. I wen to WSU too. I hated he went to the pats but I always wanted him to do well, when not playing us. But I hate brady for the whole let Bledsoe go keep him. Sorry. I hate him, plain and simple. I would hate it if he went to miami ( thank God he prol wont) But I'll stick with Gus, and draft a rookie. There, now you know my life story:D

damn, so he's not going to be as good as tom brady or peyton manning? better not draft him.

Juan Cribbs said:
damn, so he's not going to be as good as tom brady or peyton manning? better not draft him.

:sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: thank you

There's a reason he's projected to go early 1st round.

Cutler is the 'feel good' story of the draft. Hes from a small town, went to an uncompetitive college, and didnt recieve a lot of attention.

Yet he is talented and is participating in just about every pre-draft event there is. The media loves that kind of stuff. Not to mention that there are a lot of people who would like to see him drafted before the likes of Matt Leinart and Vince Young, just out of spite for them.

But you are right about his mechanics and decision making. There are flaws there, and that showed in the Senior Bowl. He looks great at times, and has an excellent arm- but then he will make a bonehead throw. And he didnt just do it at the Senior Bowl, he has been doing at Vandy as well. Watch the Florida game.

I still compare him to someone like Kyle Boller as this point, which is why I think hes not a top 10 pick.

Ghetti13 said:

1. Decision Making
2. Accuracy

1. Decision Making
2. Accuracy

Go read the article that was just posted.

Ghetti13 said:

1. Decision Making
2. Accuracy

1. Decision Making
2. Accuracy

besides footwork, im not sure you can truthfully say that those are issues with him.

Back
Top Bottom