Why so much divisiveness on pick #5? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why so much divisiveness on pick #5?

Divisiveness is not necessary a problem.

Right! Actually, divisiveness is the ONLY thing that is 100% guaranteed at this point in time. No one outside of the team, and probably no one on the team, can say for certain exactly who their first pick will be... too many things can change between now and the draft. So, since the team isn't saying anything, the fans and media can only voice their opinions, not facts. And, everyone has a different opinion on what Miami should do with that #5 pick (and all of their other picks, for that matter).

"The 800 lb gorilla in the room is that Miami will probably draft Tua at 5."

Fans (and the media) need to air their opinions; none of which are actually based on official info straight from the team's decision makers. Many fans and the media said that Miami was tanking to attain the top pick in this upcoming draft. Who came up with this idea? NO ONE related to the Dolphins EVER mentioned tanking! Ross did say that the way they were doing things wasn't working, so they needed to pretty much tear it down and rebuild the team the "right" way, and that it could/would probably mean that there will be a few losses along the way while they rebuild. How could anyone hear this and then say it's proof that the team is tanking? The media is the problem... they need to get people to read their articles to keep their job, so they make up "facts" to attract attention. There was never a plan to "Tank For Tua"... it was all the doing of the media. I don't recall ever seeing an official news release from the Dolphins saying that they 100% wanted to draft Tua. Did you? Why do so many fans believe that Miami wants Tua? It's possible, or maybe even probable that they were thinking about drafting him, but it's not a certainty; especially now after his injuries and surgery.

"... Miami has done a very mediocre job in drafting, developing and keeping players. You traded a LT and DB that were going to be the cornerstones of your franchise in exchange for picks."

True, but that's because the past two regimes (Philbin and Gase) and Tannenbaum were idiots who should NEVER have been hired by the Dolphins. Those two coaching staffs were terrible at developing young players, and their schemes did little to take advantage of their players' strengths and put them in a position to succeed. As for keeping players, it's not always the smart thing to do. Many fans wanted to keep RT James, even though he was often injured and was going to want a pay increase. His play never lived up to his draft status, and he was in no way, shape, or form worth the amount of money that he eventually received (from another team). Good riddance. Fitzpatrick's trade is debatable, and both sides of the argument have merit. Tunsil's trade, IMO, was a HUGE success for Miami. They're rebuilding from the ground up, and those draft picks will be a big help.

So many fans disagree with me when it comes to Tunsil; they think hes "all that", and I think he's not worth paying, or keeping. I'll explain my position: Under Philbin, Miami's offensive philosophy was to create mismatches at the line and then to throw a short pass almost immediately after the snap to the best target, with the hope that the receiver will gains yards after the catch. And, these short passes will basically take the place of the run. So, since Philbin's "dynamic, explosive, and high-scoring" (his words) offense was based on a quick short pass, Philbin had no need for tough, physical, old-school style o-linemen who could sustain their blocks. And, since these short passes replaced the running game, there was little to no emphasis placed on the ability to run-block. This is evident in his favoring someone like Jonathan Martin over a physical player like Incognito. However, the result of this philosophy resulted in Tannehill being sacked more than any other QB during his first 4 seasons. Also, the o-line's poor run-blocking led to an inability to consistently convert 3rd or 4th and short on the ground, and they were considered to be one of the worst o-lines in the league. (For the sake of comparison, Sparano's o-line with FB Polite was nearly perfect in converting 3rd or 4th and short!) Next came Gase, who was better at calling trick plays than normal, everyday football plays. It seems to me that the plays he called were ones that would have the least chance of success; he'd run up the middle for no gain on 3rd and long, and he'd call a pass behind the line of scrimmage for a loss on 3rd or 4th and short. When they did attempt to run on 3rd or 4th and short, they usually failed because, like Philbin, Gase had no desire to build a tough, physical o-line that could dominate the line of scrimmage, or to have a powerful running game. He preferred using the RBs as receivers out of the backfield. So, why did I just ramble on about all of this? Because Flores, when hired, said that he wants a tough, physical football team with a strong running game. There was NOTHING, and I repeat NOTHING about Miami's o-line or running game under Philbin and Gase that could even remotely be described as being tough or physicallly dominating. Was their o-line dominating with a strong running game, while first round draft picks Tunsil and James were the anchors? Nope! They had a problem pass-blocking let alone being able to run-block. Tunsil was selected because he was seen as a "top talent" who would fit into Miami's short pass based offense. But, he doesn't fit Flores' need for tough, physical players. Tunsil gave up few sacks because the other 4 guys were even worse than him; he was the best of the worst.

And, finally, I LOVE talking about Landry. Loved by millions of fans. I have no idea why! I admit he was talented. But, he was also a "me-first" immature diva who couldn't control his emotions and was overall a detriment to the (future) success of the team. Why a me-first diva? It's a well-known fact that he's best friends with Odell Beckham Jr, and is very competitive. They both crave attention and the spotlight. Ever notice that when ODB made a one-handed catch in an early game, odds were that Landry playing later would also make a one-handed catch. He wants to be seen on the highlights; he didn't care that if he dropped that pass it could possibly hurt his team's chances of winning. The "team-first" decision would be to make that catch with both hands; not to show off for attention! And, how many times did he make bone-headed mistakes and get penalized? Too many times! He enjoyed taunting defenders (and was often called for it) because of his need to show his superiority (diva). Last, but not least, he set a record for the most catches made by a WR over his first 4 seasons. Sounds good, doesn't it? Sounds like Miami ran the offense through Landry, right? His record for the most receptions should have been accompanied by the record for the most yards too, right? Or at least close to a record? Nope. Landry was the main check-down target in a short pass based offense in which the QB rarely had time to wait for a WR to get open downfield. Running the offense through Landry via short passes created a lot of first downs, but overall, without a potent vertical passing game, competent o-line, or strong running game, Miami's offense was mostly ineffective. Landry was a good slot receiver who could move the chains, but there was too much baggage with his ego and he was definitely not worth the money he wanted in Free Agency. I liked watching Wilson (keep at a reduced salary for next year) and Hurns this past season more than I ever liked watching Landry's immature antics.

Pretty informative posts but the last two paragraphs should have been broken up to be easier on the eyes.

I agree with all the trades imo and i will admit the Fitzpatrick trade is a 50/50 shot to recoupe the value but in all honesty the guy literally said he wanted to be traded.. If we had not done so and kept him on the team.. First off its never good for team chemistry to have that in the lockeroom the guy would have been pissed and possibly made scenes in the lockeroom all year. Then comes the offseason where he very well could have held out this season demanding a trade and we would be banking on finishing the year with a winning record to get this guy to rebuy into this team.. IT was the correct decision for a bad situation and i don't hate fitzpatrick but you have to know when to cut your losses.

Tunsil to me, we all thought he was the steal of the draft and would become the NFL's best LT but i'm sorry he never reached that potential, some fans think he did.. He wasn't terrible but he wasn't great, Sorry to say but even after the Texans traded for him Watson still got sacked more then you would have liked for a guy that mobile. He is a top 12 LT but getting 2 1sts and 2nd for that is a runaway win for us..

Landry was tough to swallow, he absolutely is a great reciever and it turns out better then Odell, he has rare ability to run after the catch.. Excellent blocker, Great route runner, and tough guy to bring down.. My problem with him is that he is always going to demand getting the ball and if the team is losing will lash out like a kid at times because of his passion for the game. I think a large reason why Tannehill was successful in Tennessee was because he had a group of talented Wide outs who didn't demand the football so Tannehill made correct decisions rather than having to worry about forcing passes to keep a player happy.

As far as tanking, obviously we weren't trying to lose games but i damn well wish we did.. We could have had Burrow or if we believed in Tua traded the number 1 overall for a kings ransom and still gotten Tua. Ryan Fitzpatrick was the worst signing of the off season for us imo

We.need great player at 5 this yr. I don't care who they pick but it got be games change..a started from day one. Which player can come in and start right away..

I’m not an expert and could care less if I’m right or wrong but if Tua is not the pick I’ll be shocked.

Players are cast into difference makers by how they're used, Miami's offense has been so scattered in recent years that their continuity in their play, they never had a plug and play offense, they get players and don't find out what they can do well and they misaligned them in their offense or defense. We know now that if Thill had a strong o-line and a good running game he would have worked out just fine. Look at Arron Rodgers as good as he is he can't win games by himself, he can keep you in it at some point but the whole TEAM has to be stout to produce a win. So whomever is picked at 5 need to be someone that is going to rise up and make a play when the play is their to be made.

This draft, in my opinion will set us back even further or propel us into playoff contenders for years to come. I think it’s that important not just number five but all the pics including free agency.

I think the patriots are regressing but I doubt they’ll fall off completely and the bills are certainly progressing and the Jets are still up in the air. If we battle the basement dweller jets for the next decadeGod knows where this franchise will end up. We have to move forward and I believe it starts with this draft in next years draft but mediocrity will send this franchise into oblivion if something doesn’t change soon.

Back
Top Bottom