Why Some Dolphins Linebackers Could Be In A For Surprise. Flores Makes Change From Gase. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Some Dolphins Linebackers Could Be In A For Surprise. Flores Makes Change From Gase.

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Kiko3.jpg

Here’s one reason why Kiko Alonso and Raekwon McMillan might be in line to receive clearly less playing time than a year ago, potentially:

The Dolphins have patterned some of their defense off what the Patriots do and have had their players study Patriots tape. So how New England deployed linebackers last season is relevant here.

And these are some numbers to keep in mind, courtesy of Ryan Smith and the other good folks at Pro Football Focus:

Last season, the Patriots used a lineup with two natural linebackers, plus four defensive linemen and five defensive backs on 30 percent of their plays — highest of any personnel grouping. They ran a grouping with three linemen, two linebackers and six defensive backs on 20 percent of their snaps, which was second most.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article233945117.html

Last edited:
I got to wonder though if the patriots usage on d was also influenced by the fact that their o was denting the scoreboard.

Cause I think that really influences situational play from a d in terms of package and personnel. If their offense is hanging points burgers

I got to wonder though if the patriots usage on d was also influenced by the fact that their o was denting the scoreboard.

Cause I think that really influences situational play from a d in terms of package and personnel. If their offense is hanging points burgers
It would make sense for the Pats to run nickel and dime defenses when they were scoring so much. However, I think we may see 5 - 7 DBs in that first game against Baltimore much like the Colts did to Lamar Jackson in the playoff game.

It would make sense for the Pats to run nickel and dime defenses when they were scoring so much. However, I think we may see 5 - 7 DBs in that first game against Baltimore much like the Colts did to Lamar Jackson in the playoff game.

The chargers tried to play that heavy db stuff and got murdered by the pats ground game if I recall correctly in the postseason.

Of course the chargers had a lot of off ball lb attrition which may have attributed to its extensive usage

Last edited:
While our linebackers are unimpressive, our real problem is the defensive line. No push whatsoever. Even Christian Wilkins got outshined by the Guard Lindstrom for the Falcons. I wish we would have picked him up because Wilkins seemed to make very little impact.

Hopefully he turns on a new gear in the regular season

While our linebackers are unimpressive, our real problem is the defensive line. No push whatsoever. Even Christian Wilkins got outshined by the Guard Lindstrom for the Falcons. I wish we would have picked him up because Wilkins seemed to make very little impact.

Hopefully he turns on a new gear in the regular season
I saw Wilkins get double teamed and they couldn't move him. He anchored very well. He doesn't have a lot of upfield moves right now, he's more run stopper at this point.

I was thinking today though that we had Suh here and he made little to no impact from the DT position. It would have made more sense to take Brian Burns but these guys don't operate like that. They want solid players and not necessarily difference makers.

I don't know why any of them would be surprised by this.

Alonzo and McMillian are pure inside 'backers. Not bad players, just limited to the inside. Better in a 3-4 lineup, both of them.

Makes you wonder how much 3-4 vs 4-3 we will run

If there of little use to us we should move them if possible, even if we don't get much for them

Don't know why it always look like we buy high and sell low and that no way to run a successful franchise

How many LB's do we keep?

Alonso, McMillan, Baker, Eguavoen, Van Ginkle they're locked in. That's 5, my guess is another "Linebacker" and another Special Teamer who happens to be labeled as a LB.

How many LB's do we keep?

Alonso, McMillan, Baker, Eguavoen, Van Ginkle they're locked in. That's 5, my guess is another "Linebacker" and another Special Teamer who happens to be labeled as a LB.

The kid they just signed Deloach has been making noise so maybe him.

Back
Top Bottom