Why The Dolphins Should Consider Trading For Dl Vernon Butler | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why The Dolphins Should Consider Trading For Dl Vernon Butler

I’m gonna pass on butler. Jack Conklin hasn’t been the same player since his rookie year due to medical. That would depend on tbe cost as to my interest level. Played a little bit above his head as a rookie

Speaking of trades, I'd be curious to see if Miami can get any value for guys like Kiko or Stills next offseason.

Or its a Pats move where they trade for a guy with a late pick, let him walk a year later and end up with a higher rated comp pick the following draft.
That's really not what the Patriots do. They are even smarter than that. They wait until the under achieving player gets cut from their previous team and then they sign them without giving up any draft capital and the signing doesn't count against the compensatory formula.

That's really not what the Patriots do. They are even smarter than that. They wait until the under achieving player gets cut from their previous team and then they sign them without giving up any draft capital and the signing doesn't count against the compensatory formula.

NE actually trades for a lot of expiring contracts. They just usually get later picks in return, as well. All the players below were going to be Unrestricted Free Agents the year after NE traded for them - except Josh Gordon, who would be a Restricted FA.

Michael Bennett for 7th

Danny Shelton + 5th for 3rd
Jason McCourty + 7th for 6th
Cordarrelle Patterson + 6th for 5th
Trent Brown + 5th for 3rd
Josh Gordon for conditional 5th

Lately, they haven't done that.
Their latest "big" loss was Trent Brown, who will net them a 3rd next offseason. However, they used a 3rd to acquire him from the 49ers.

The rest of their bigger FA losses like Solder(2011 pick), Butler(UDFA), were guys they deemed not worthy to keep and instead will take the comp pick.

They traded a first for Brandin Cooks and then shipped him out following the year for a first from the Rams.
They shipped out Jimmy G after determining that brady was going to stay longer. Picked him in the 2nd and then traded him for a 2nd rounder ~3-4 years later.

The Pats use late draft picks to acquire guys like both Bennett bros, who are headcases but talented and get more out of them than the draft pick would realistically return.

A day 3 pick is a drop in the bucket if we need to move up for a QB.

Miami is better served using low assets to protect the QB we just acquired. He is an extremely talented passer in his own right.

No K, you know those late rounders would he the difference between 1st overall and 6th.

LOL.

NE actually trades for a lot of expiring contracts. They just usually get later picks in return, as well. All the players below were going to be Unrestricted Free Agents the year after NE traded for them - except Josh Gordon, who would be a Restricted FA.

Michael Bennett for 7th

Danny Shelton + 5th for 3rd
Jason McCourty + 7th for 6th
Cordarrelle Patterson + 6th for 5th
Trent Brown + 5th for 3rd
Josh Gordon for conditional 5th

Question about this. Is there a rule (similar I guess to bird rights) where you have to trade for a player a certain amount of time before their contract expires to be eligible for comp picks?

They traded a 3rd for Trent Brown and a 5th and then immediately get a 3rd back a year later. Genius. Essentially a free 5th round pick and 1 year with the player to plug a hole

Question about this. Is there a rule (similar I guess to bird rights) where you have to trade for a player a certain amount of time before their contract expires to be eligible for comp picks?

They traded a 3rd for Trent Brown and a 5th and then immediately get a 3rd back a year later. Genius. Essentially a free 5th round pick and 1 year with the player to plug a hole

Yeah, I imagine the NFL will make corrections to the comp formula, but until they do, it's wise to take advantage.

No to giving up draft picks. Miami finally seems to have it figured out. Stockpile picks and build through the draft.

Back
Top Bottom