Why the Dolphins shouldn't draft Jordan Love | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why the Dolphins shouldn't draft Jordan Love

I've always loved quarterbacks who could dial up every degree on the rainbow depending on evolving needs of the play. The number of permutations toward a successful outcome explodes. But it was always within the crashing pocket and within 2-3 seconds.

In the new NFL with more mobile quarterbacks and severely restricted defenses the jackpot is a guy who can apply any loft while also dancing around until he finds that spot for the ideal loft.

And yet it's pocket passers who consistently win Super Bowls. You'll be seeing the same thing 2 weeks from now when Jimmy G and the 49ers take down Mahomes and the Chiefs.

Why is it Loves pre snap issues are coachable but Rosen isn't? Why is it acceptable for a qb like Love or even some say herbert to sit for a year to learn but Rosen it's not okay. Why is it Loves lack of conviction for the game is okay yet Rosens family money is held against him.

Rosen is underrated right now. I hope the Dolphins aren't stupid enough to get rid of him. But he simply doesn't have Love's raw ability or upside.

Regardless, those are the types of moves a sharp franchise makes. If you continue to invest a late second round pick in a former top pick like Josh Rosen and take advantage of someone like Jordan Love dropping in reputation from 2018 to 2019, you'll be sweeping in the profits and chuckling to yourself at the simplicity.

I am a huge believer that these are big picture philosophy decisions and not nitpicking every single detail about this guy and that guy while trying to be 100% correct. That type of thought process lends to exceptions and failure. There are always going to be a handful of teams in full blast big picture mode winning the vital 3-5% throughout the roster.

I've always loved quarterbacks who could dial up every degree on the rainbow depending on evolving needs of the play. The number of permutations toward a successful outcome explodes. But it was always within the crashing pocket and within 2-3 seconds.

In the new NFL with more mobile quarterbacks and severely restricted defenses the jackpot is a guy who can apply any loft while also dancing around until he finds that spot for the ideal loft. And if nothing shows up then take off on your own before dashing out of bounds for 12 yards. The football version of a basketball player who can create his own shot anywhere, instead of a predictable move or two and predictable spot or two he prefers.

These days if you aren't looking for that type of guy in the NFL then you aren't really trying, IMO. It buys a full decade of agony for the current batch of Tom Olivadottis.

Is Jordan Love going to stand there and stare, while shuffling around a little bit and having a basically nothing NFL career with his slightly too long delivery, or is he going to have the light bulb go on suddenly sense he can be a dipping and dodging ballet dancer out there? I could see it going both ways. He's not nearly as weavingly instinctive as Mahomes. But I have no idea how 2018 can be ignored. Jordan Love was swagger personified. That entire Utah State team was swagger. I'm always a believer in ignoring recency when greatness preceded. You'll have busts but plenty of low expense booms that more than make up for those busts. I have no idea how anyone can watch or remember Jordan Love from 2018 and rationalize that all the gorgeous contorting throws are gone forever, that the athletic arrogance while prancing into the end zone and flipping the ball to a nearby referee is gone forever, and was some type of mirage.

Within a month or two the conversation will change. That stuff will be remembered. Jordan Love will have awesome stretches during the combine process. Everything tends to drift back to the beginning.

Thing is, the ball comes out of his hand cleaner than it does with a kid like Justin Herbert or Joe Burrow. It's right up there with Tua. There's no 'push' in his delivery. All torque.

If he figures out the do's-and-dont's of playing the position like I mentioned before, he'll surpass whatever draft pick he was selected with. Situation is critical for kids like Jordan Love. If he lands in a good situation and matures a little bit, the reward could be significant. As long as you're comfortable with the person you're getting, no pick is too high for that type of talent at that position.

And yet it's pocket passers who consistently win Super Bowls. You'll be seeing the same thing 2 weeks from now when Jimmy G and the 49ers take down Mahomes and the Chiefs.
Mahomes is a pocket passer, who runs when necessary. Jimmy G isnt on the same planet as him

Ah ok. Here comes the pocket passer Super Bowl trope.

This is like when I visited Lambeau Field this year to watch a Packers game and the Packers fans, god bless them the nicest people, just randomly started arguing with me that "a black quarterback will never win the Super Bowl".

Good times.

didn't Garrapolo only complete 6 passes in the NFC Championship game?

As for Rosen, you simply cant teach leadership. And he fails at leadership.

Ah ok. Here comes the pocket passer Super Bowl trope.

This is like when I visited Lambeau Field this year to watch a Packers game and the Packers fans, god bless them the nicest people, just randomly started arguing with me that "a black quarterback will never win the Super Bowl".

Good times.
LOL...reporter to Doug Williams..."How long have you been a black QB?"

LOL...reporter to Doug Williams..."How long have you been a black QB?"
That was ages ago... russel Wilson May be a better example .
While I agree with the sentiment of a pocket qb is more valuable In the playoffs and for sustained winning. There is nothing negative about a great passer who can run When needed like mahomes and Wilson. Hell, the best example in the draft is joe burrow

Fascinating question for me- given everything discussed above and regarding Tua/Love including the injury concerns..

Love at #5 > Tua at say #3 in a tradeup costing Rd1 #18?

He shares things in common with Pat Mahomes but he's not Pat Mahomes. I won't be giving Jordan Love that kind of grade. It's not because I feel like he can't get there. It's just playing the odds. He's not got the odds to be what Pat Mahomes has become, that Pat Mahomes had when he was coming out.

Love's development arc at Utah State was such that he's really only just scratching the surface on the abilities that Pat Mahomes had more or less perfected by the time he came out of Texas Tech. It's enough to have you intrigued and to say that the two rhyme a bit, but they're not the same. Patrick Mahomes was a #1 overall type of player. Jordan Love is not.

I want to get that straight because I sense that people are more or less pinning me as the "Jordan Love is the most awesome ever" guy and I'm not that. He's not Kyler Murray to me. He's not Tua Tagovailoa. He's not Patrick Mahomes. He's not Baker Mayfield for me.

I'd love to take a shot on him, particularly because my team has an ancient QB who's shown a career tendency to let you down just when you thought he started to be good at this. And the guy behind him is dead weight, never should've been traded for.

I think a lot of the criticisms of Love are overdone. He threw interceptions this year. OK. He didn't last year. And he didn't throw a bunch of earned interceptions even in his first games as a starter back when he was 19 years old (I know, because I've watched those 2017 games, which I'm sure 99% of the critics out there have not).

So I ask the simple question, why? He lost head coach Matt Wells, who was on the sideline chatting him up in between every series in 2017 and 2018, acting as a de facto QB Coach, and he lost David Yost who has a reputation for an up-and-coming play caller and game scripter. Oh not to mention the security blankets Dax Raymond and Darwin Thompson, the top three wide receivers including his deep field man beater Ron'quavion Tarver, and all five offensive linemen. Yeah I'd say that's the elephant in the room as to why he did things in 2019 that he hadn't done in 2017 or 2018.

I have criticisms about how he came by some of those individual interceptions. But context is important. It's not as complicated as people make it out to be.

This is a player that you're going to ask to grow. He's not a finished product. He's not coming from a Lincoln Riley system where he could throw for a billion yards and touchdowns on high efficiency. He's not had Jerry Jeudy, Devonta Smith, Henry Ruggs, Jaylen Waddle, J'Marr Chase, Justin Jefferson, Thaddeus Moss, Tee Higgins, Justyn Ross, Travis Etienne, Clyde Edwards-Helaire, or Najee Harris around making things easier for him. He's not had an offensive line that pumps out NFL prospect after NFL prospect.

You're looking at the traits. Does he process the field and progress accordingly. Actually, yeah he does. It's pre-snap expectations where he runs into trouble and that's stuff you can teach him. Does he have the ability to play faster than the defense? Yeah, he does. Does he have full command of the football, every kind of throw? He does, with those big 10.5+ inch hands of his and that textbook delivery. Can he threaten a defense in ways that force them to adjust? Absolutely. Is he a good kid? Yes. Is he smart? Definitely. What's his injury history like? Practically spotless.

Dan Marino threw 46 interceptions in 24 games his last two years at Pitt. But who cares? As The Poster Formerly Known as Slimm says, you don't take the interceptions with you.
Do you have Love graded above Watson coming out?
Not saying they are necessarily the same QB at all, but I wonder grading wise as both come with some question marks.

I havent watched every single snap Love has played in his College career. One thing there is no Denying and that's his arm and legs.
Like Slim said if he can be coached through the do's and do notes he can be Electric.Thats where our front office comes into play.Either they think they can or cant.
None of our 1st round picks should be used on him but I am not against a 2nd rounder be uaed.

Back
Top Bottom