Why the Dolphins trust Myles Gaskin to be their lead running back again. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why the Dolphins trust Myles Gaskin to be their lead running back again.

andyahs

Bahamian Redneck
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
"The big thing about Myles from at least last year and going from Year 1 to Year 2 for him was his growth in football and what he learned and how dependable he became for what we needed done," Studesville said. "He's prideful, he's professional, he comes in and gives you a day's work. He works at it. He wants to be a really good player. ... Myles is going to put his best foot forward and give you everything he has and that's what gives him a chance."

Gaskin, 24, is undersized (5-foot-10, 194 pounds) and often overlooked (24 running backs were drafted ahead of him in 2019). But thanks to a huge Year 1 to Year 2 jump, all he did was produce on the field in 2020.

When he missed six games last season because of knee injuries and contracting COVID-19, Gaskin felt he "hurt the team and hurt myself in my own eyes." Gaskin, who totaled 584 rushing yards and 388 receiving yards in his 10 games played, was on pace to top 1,500 yards from scrimmage if he had played all 16 games.

"I'm better. Just more better in the mind, better just physically, just ready to go," Gaskin said. "I know what I'm looking for. I know my strengths and I know my weaknesses, and I'm trying to get those all to [become] strengths and even my strengths are even stronger."

In an effort to stay healthy and prove he can last 16 games, Gaskin began training early this offseason in Seattle, working on Pilates, knee and ankle health and stability workouts. He played at least 69% of offensive snaps in every game he was active last season. With better durability, perhaps that number rises.

He's not one dimensional, and that's hugely important, I mean the dude can catch the ball with ease and transition upfield, he's got subtle inside moves and strength that comes from somewhere, always surprises me how strong he is for his build.

He's not one dimensional, and that's hugely important, I mean the dude can catch the ball with ease and transition upfield, he's got subtle inside moves and strength that comes from somewhere, always surprises me how strong he is for his build.
The knock most have against the kid is that he doesn't make his own holes.

Well imagine that, very few backs do.

If you watch his college tape, you will see a back with excellent vision, patience to allow blocks to develop, and enough burst to get the job done (no his top gear is not elite).

He is also very good in pass pro, as well as being proficient as a pass catcher.

We could do a lot worse.

One area Gaskin impressed me last year in was how he could turn a bad play into a play you can live with. Particularly when we ran the ball in the 2nd half of games straight into loaded boxes. He always seemed to turn what looked to be a guaranteed 2-3 yard loss into getting back to the LoS or even gaining a yard or two. Seems like a kid that plays like it might be the last time he ever touches the ball every single time his number is called.

Surprisingly good pass blocker too.

Fans just want to see 4.7 ypc, but don't appreciate a guy that can contribute solidly in both aspects of the pass game enough.

I have no issue with Myles Gaskin as the lead back in a committee that has at least one power back. Myles Gaskin is never going to scare anyone as a short-yardage or between-the-tackles runner. Last year, there were numerous instances in which I saw Miami run play-action, and the defense simply ignored it, playing it as a pass. They weren't concerned about an inside run.

Gerrid Doaks and/or Malcolm Brown can change that.

The knock most have against the kid is that he doesn't make his own holes.

Well imagine that, very few backs do.

If you watch his college tape, you will see a back with excellent vision, patience to allow blocks to develop, and enough burst to get the job done (no his top gear is not elite).

He is also very good in pass pro, as well as being proficient as a pass catcher.

We could do a lot worse.
The lack of a top gear is a bummer though.

And I try not to forget with him that he was a 7th round pick.
Wouldn't you LOVE to get his production from every 7th rounder?

Well, he's who we got right now so they must trust him. I think he's a good RB and hoping better O-line play along with more speed on the outside will open things up for him.
Don’t think we’re done shopping for RBs. Watch these two Sony Michel and L Bell.

Back
Top Bottom