Why Tua Tagovailoa Should Start From Week 1‬ | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Tua Tagovailoa Should Start From Week 1‬

Should Tua start in week 1?

• Yes

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • No

Votes: 95 62.9%
  • Best QB Starts

Votes: 46 30.5%

• Total voters
Coach Flo will play the QB who gives the team the best chance to win. The precedent has already been set. If he deviates from that, then he'll lose some of his hard earned capital. That being the case, if he feels fitzpatrick is the better week one starter then guess who we'll see under center at week one?

Link isn't pulling for me bro. Just a heads up. But ultimately no. Definitely shouldn't start til the line is gelled and proven it's capabilities or incapabilities. Let's make sure he's healthy and ready to contribute. Week 1 feels just a little premature to wheel out a guy coming off the injury. One of the benefits of him coming to Miami is he can redshirt if need be. Let's him marinate, get healthy, learn, then earn the job..... Trust the process lol

Last edited:
This seems to be the biggest debate currently..

Personally I feel good about Fitz and what he accomplished last year, with the most depleted roster ive ever seen, he played at a pretty high level relative to the talent, worst oline in football, worst running back unit in the game, the man lead the team in rushing, I believe he gets the chance to play regardless of the medicals on Tua..

knowing what’s kind of man Flores is, taking into account all the variables, including offseason limitations and I think out of respect he does give Fitzpatrick the chance to lead the team..

Being cleared by Doctors doesn’t mean you are at your apex of strength, speed and body composition..So take advantage of this unique situation that we have in phase two of the rebuild.

Tuas projection?, superstar status imo..but I’m not in a hurry to see him until Fitz and the team is out of playoff contention..

Fitz knows this offense very well considering the relationship he’s had with Gailey over the years, let him share the knowledge to the rookie, it can only help him.

Fitz isn’t stupid, we know this, he knew when taking this job that he would be a mentor as well with a young Qb..

Just so happens I think the guys arrow on the field is pointed upwards..I think he’s in the process of taming his weakness to throw into coverage, and has figured out how to cut defenses with his legs as a threat.

I’m excited on two different levels, to see how far Fitz can take the team with huge upgrades of talent across the board.

2nd, to know that we are in a position where we can equip our young Qb with knowledge and time to strengthen the injury, so the uber talented Tua can be at his absolute best both physically and mentally when he takes the field..jmo.

Most great current age QB's sat behind a vet for a little while, or a year or two if the vet is competent enough. Even if the one sitting behind the vet turns out to be light-years better than the vet. Once the young QB take the reigns, it's his from then on...

Coach Flo will play the QB who gives the team the best chance to win. The precedent has already been set. If he deviates from that, then he'll lose some of his hard earned capital. That being the case, if he feels fitzpatrick is the better week one starter then guess who we'll see under center at week one?

Coach knows what he's doing and will start who's most likely to win the game.
That said I'm good with Fitz first game and then getting Tua going when he over takes him as QB1

Mahomes sat a year and it has worked out pretty well for KC so far. I see no reason to start Tua week 1. Fitzpatrick earned the chance to start until it is time for Tua to take over. It could be some point this season or it could be next year (feels kind of unlikely tbh).

I haven't read the article, but isn't this a premature discussion prior to ever seeing him (or the team) on a practice field in a Dolphins uni?

And I'd be saying that for any QB we drafted, injury or no injury.

Good article. Pertinent points:

"Sat and succeeded: 4

• Jimmy Garoppolo- Eastern Illinois, 62nd overall
  • Jared Goff- California, 1st overall
  • Patrick Mahomes- Texas Tech, 10th overall
  • Lamar Jackson- Louisville, 32nd overall
Sat and failed: 7

• Josh Freeman- Kansas State, 17th overall
  • Tim Tebow- Florida, 25th overall
  • Jake Locker- Washington, 8th overall
  • Christian Ponder- Florida State, 12th overall
  • Johnny Manziel- Texas A&M, 22nd overall
  • Paxton Lynch- Memphis, 26th overall
  • Josh Rosen- UCLA, 10th overall
Sat and unsure: 4

• Baker Mayfield- Oklahoma, 1st overall
  • Daniel Jones- Duke, 6th overall
  • Dwayne Haskins- Ohio State, 15th overall
  • Drew Lock- Missouri, 42nd overall
Started and succeeded: 15

• Matt Ryan- Boston, 7th overall
  • Joe Flacco- Delaware, 18th overall
  • Matthew Stafford- Georgia, 1st overall
  • Cam Newton- Auburn, 1st overall
  • Andy Dalton- TCU, 35th overall
  • Andrew Luck- Stanford, 1st overall
  • Robert Griffin III- Baylor, 2nd overall
  • Ryan Tannehill- Texas A&M, 8th overall
  • Russell Wilson- Wisconson, 75th overall
  • Teddy Bridgewater- Lousiville, 32nd overall
  • Derek Carr- Fresno State, 36th overall
  • Jameis Winston- Florida State, 1st overall
  • Carson Wentz- North Dakota State, 2nd overall
  • Dak Prescott- Mississippi State, 135th overall
  • Deshaun Watson- Clemson, 12th overall
Started and failed: 7

• Mark Sanchez- USC, 5th overall
  • Sam Bradford- Oklahoma, 1st overall
  • Blaine Gabbert- Missouri 10th overall
  • Brandon Weeden- Oklahoma State, 22nd overall
  • EJ Manuel- Florida State, 16th overall
  • Geno Smith- West Virginia, 39th overall
  • Blake Bortles- UCF, 3rd overall
Started and unsure: 5

• Marcus Mariota- Oregon, 2nd overall
  • Mitchell Trubisky- North Carolina, 2nd overall
  • Sam Darnold- USC, 3rd overall
  • Josh Allen- Wyoming, 7th overall
  • Kyler Murray- Oklahoma, 1st overall"

Totally agree.

Mahomes sat a year and it has worked out pretty well for KC so far. I see no reason to start Tua week 1. Fitzpatrick earned the chance to start until it is time for Tua to take over. It could be some point this season or it could be next year (feels kind of unlikely tbh).
Right. That's touched on in the article. He would have started much sooner had Smith not been balling out.

I don't want him to start day one. Need the offensive line to become cohesive. At least 1 year from his surgical date is a good mental milestone.

I do want him to play this year and preferably the 2nd Jets' game and on. We need to know before next years draft if Tua's hip will take a couple of dozen hits. If not we need to draft QB again.

I don't want him to start day one. Need the offensive line to become cohesive. At least 1 year from his surgical date is a good mental milestone.

I do want him to play this year and preferably the 2nd Jets' game and on. We need to know before next years draft if Tua's hip will take a couple of dozen hits. If not we need to draft QB again.
The instant medical has reaffirmed him being as healthy as possible and he's beating out Fits, let's get him out there. Whenever that is. Maybe it's week one maybe it's week nine but at that point to have him hold a clipboard for one more second of a game is hampering us.

Back
Top Bottom