Why Tua Tagovailoa Should Start From Week 1‬ | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Tua Tagovailoa Should Start From Week 1‬

Should Tua start in week 1?

• Yes

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • No

Votes: 95 62.9%
  • Best QB Starts

Votes: 46 30.5%

• Total voters
Not sure on what planet these guys are considered successes:

• Andy Dalton- TCU, 35th overall
  • Robert Griffin III- Baylor, 2nd overall
  • Ryan Tannehill- Texas A&M, 8th overall
  • Teddy Bridgewater- Lousiville, 32nd overall
  • Derek Carr- Fresno State, 36th overall
  • Jameis Winston- Florida State, 1st overall
But it is not this one.

If not mistaken Bridgewater has a 2-1 TD to Int ratio and has won far more games than he has lost. If not for a catastrophic injury he would probably be having a pretty nice career.
Tanny is on a second contract, a nice one at that and just led his team to the AFC Championship game.
What exactly are your parameters for success?

If he plays in any of the preseason games he’s ready and should play. If he doesn’t start that means he couldn’t beat Fitz out. That leads to the mantra of last year, “if he can’t beat Fitz for the starting job he sucks”

Sounds like someone is still holding a torch for Josh Rosen.

How unfortunate for you. :lol::lol:

I will say this flores must do better job developing qb this time around..if tua is your futures. That who he need be developing

Also the best place for him to get hurt if the OL is not ready to protect him.

To me Fitz gets the opening day start off of last year. He just beat the Pats there once.
He's probably gives us the best chance to do it again.

After that who knows but I gotta trust coach on this

I was never a JR fan....
how stupid of you...
You’re one of the hypocrites.:D

Seeing a chasm of difference in quarterbacking ability has nothing to do with being hypocritical, champ. :lol:

Color me silly, but I don't believe the plan has ever been or will ever be to throw the rookie into the fire coming off a serious hip injury with an abbreviated, disjointed off-season and behind a rebuilding, unproven offensive line.

We all want to see Tua play. But let's not get crazy here. Considering all of the circumstances, he really shouldn't be playing for a while.

Even Dan Marino didn't start day one. And he arguably enjoyed the greatest rookie and sophomore seasons ever. Yet it still took until week 6 before he finally started. And only played spot duty in 2 games prior to that.
But Marino was an exception, not the rule for rookie success. And he wasn't coming off a major hip injury. And wasn't playing for a rebuilding team with a rebuilding offensive line.

Lastly, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes all waited and learned behind a veteran QB. They are arguably three of the best QB's of the past 20 years. If it was good enough for them, why isn't it good enough for Tua?

Look, if Tua comes into camp 100% healthy, knows the playbook by heart, and clearly out plays his competition -- then let the debate really begin. But until that day comes, the Dolphins are better off taking a more patient approach.

The list of those that started day one and succeeded is difficult to argue against. It will come down to camp and how Flores feels about him.

Actually, it's not hard to argue against.

First and foremost, it's a list lacking context. What were the situations and circumstances of those that were considered "successes"?

Did they have a roster & offensive line similar to what MIA had in 2019?
Was their offensive line among the worst in the league?
Were any of those QB's coming off major injuries anywhere near as serious as Tua's?
Did they have a viable option in terms of a vet QB to use instead?

There are a myriad of circumstances to look at. It certainly ain't as easy as glancing at a list nodding your head and saying "that's pretty conclusive."

Last edited:
Started and succeeded: 15

• Matt Ryan- Boston, 7th overall
  • Joe Flacco- Delaware, 18th overall
  • Matthew Stafford- Georgia, 1st overall
  • Cam Newton- Auburn, 1st overall
  • Andy Dalton- TCU, 35th overall
  • Andrew Luck- Stanford, 1st overall
  • Robert Griffin III- Baylor, 2nd overall
  • Ryan Tannehill- Texas A&M, 8th overall
  • Russell Wilson- Wisconson, 75th overall
  • Teddy Bridgewater- Lousiville, 32nd overall
  • Derek Carr- Fresno State, 36th overall
  • Jameis Winston- Florida State, 1st overall
  • Carson Wentz- North Dakota State, 2nd overall
  • Dak Prescott- Mississippi State, 135th overall
  • Deshaun Watson- Clemson, 12th overall

Apply all of the questions (and more) outlined above to this list.

How many meet the criteria of the same o-line and injury issues? If you get that far, how many had a smart, savvy vet like Fitz to test the the rebuilt o-line waters with and to teach the young kid??

It amazes me how folks can't see that every situation is different. Looking at other situations and thinking the same should apply here is naive. It could. But it also very well may not.

Tua's situation and the Dolphins situation are different than pretty much all the others.

Same goes for Brady, Rodgers and Mahomes, which is precisely why they didn't play right away.

Also the best place for him to get hurt if the OL is not ready to protect him.

How much you wanna bet that these instant gratification types would be the very first to pile on the coach and org for exposing Tua so soon if he indeed was to get hurt behind a suspect line? Or better yet, crow about being right re: Tua being injury prone and that the team shouldn't have drafted him because of it??

There'd be no admitting that they were wrong to expect Tua to play right out of the gate despite numerous factors and circumstances suggesting it wouldn't be the wisest thing to do. You can bookmark it.

Sounds like someone is still holding a torch for Josh Rosen.

How unfortunate for you. :lol::lol:

I'll grant him that the o-line was such a mess that those circumstances might be similar, though I believe most of us expect the line to be markedly better this season. But that doesn't mean it will be good enough to subject the rookie QB to. Especially when a qualified vet is available to test the waters with.

But talent wise and injury wise, the circumstances are different.

Back
Top Bottom