Why was Coach McDaniel Not Interviewed Elsewhere? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why was Coach McDaniel Not Interviewed Elsewhere?

In fairness to Gase, Tannehill became unavailable for two years in a row and then there was Tannenbaum diddling with our draft.

He did win 10 games his first season and certainly always gave the Patriots a "run" (what a great play on words here) for their money and even won with Cutler and his broken ribs.

Fair is fair - don't let your raw emotions alter your judgement - good advice from Ray R. - LOL
Well, geez how did we let him go? I'm sure he'd love another shot as head coach. lol

It helps when you are the OC when you have great talent on the OL, as well as a top 10 QB, great receivers, and excellent RB’s.
‘Moore did a very good job with a lot of talent on offense, while MCDaniel had a top 8 offense with Jimmy Garrapolo at QB.

Personally I believe any average NFL offensive coordinator could have had similar success as Moore did with the Cowboys considering all the talent the Cowboys had on offense.

Maybe, but Kellen Moore called the plays and he did it; Jason Garrett didn't do as well with relatively the same talent.
Again i'm fine with McDaniels, but there are plenty of valid criticisms about the hire.
McDaniel has never called plays and that's a big question mark going into this year. Last time we hired an OC like this it didn't go so well.

He complained about being used in the RB role. He made waves about getting traded because of it. He wants a new contract so like I said (Fair or not).
The only reason Deebo is viewed as the player he is, is because he was able to show he is a multitalented player because of his ability as a RB as well as a WR. Prior to McDaniel using him as part of the running game, he was viewed as an above average WR. If he had been utilized only as a WR on the 49ers, I doubt he would be viewed the same way he is today in regards to his value in the league.
If anything, he should be thanking MCDaniel for the fact his next contract will be for far more money because he is now seen as a dual threat player instead of just an above average WR in the NFL.

Maybe, but Kellen Moore called the plays and he did it; Jason Garrett didn't do as well with relatively the same talent.
Again i'm fine with McDaniels, but there are plenty of valid criticisms about the hire.
McDaniel has never called plays and that's a big question mark going into this year. Last time we hired an OC like this it didn't go so well.
You make a valid point but Garrett wasn’t the offensive coordinator when he was the head coach. The offense did not have the same players on the offensive side of the ball when Garrett was the teams offensive coordinator in 2007-2010 as they had in the past three years under Moore. So it is impossible to compare Moore to Garrett based on how effective they were as offensive coordinators for the Cowboys.

I am not anti-Moore. I just think that the Cowboys offense has been loaded with talent while Moore has been the offensive coordinator and that any decent OC would have success with all that talent.

The 49ers being a top 8 offense with Garrapolo as their starting QB is more impressive to me but that is just my opinion. Of course right now we don’t have any idea if MCDaniel will be a successful head coach and how effective he will be calling offensive plays for the first time. Only time will tell.

Last edited:
I don't know, it went pretty well the first year Gase was here as I recall - LOL

IMO anyone claiming that McDaniel didn't call plays doesn't understand how play-calling actually operates. Reality is that McDaniel probably called almost every play. He just didn't have final say. As somebody who lives in a 49ers' market and as someone who watched a ton of SF games last year it was evident that McDaniel was calling the plays. Shanahan had final say but in the vast majority of situations he just took the recommendation of his OC. I'm sure there must have been times where Shanahan over-ruled McDaniel or just made his own selection, but if that were a common occurrence then he would have not trusted McDaniel to be his OC.

IMO anyone claiming that McDaniel didn't call plays doesn't understand how play-calling actually operates. Reality is that McDaniel probably called almost every play. He just didn't have final say. As somebody who lives in a 49ers' market and as someone who watched a ton of SF games last year it was evident that McDaniel was calling the plays. Shanahan had final say but in the vast majority of situations he just took the recommendation of his OC. I'm sure there must have been times where Shanahan over-ruled McDaniel or just made his own selection, but if that were a common occurrence then he would have not trusted McDaniel to be his OC.

I can only go off the McDaniel's own words and seeing Kyle Shanahan look at his play sheet, cover his mouth, and call the plays in.:shrug:

I can only go off the McDaniel's own words and seeing Kyle Shanahan look at his play sheet, cover his mouth, and call the plays in.:shrug:
Shanahan technically "called the plays". McD gave Shanahan the play (or two to choose from) to call. Obviously Shanahan could override McD's recommendation, but he was the one assessing defensive alignments, making real time adjustments, etc.

At least that's the way I understand how it worked.

Back
Top Bottom