Why was the 1972 AFC title game in Pittsburgh? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why was the 1972 AFC title game in Pittsburgh?

mistergreens

Starter
Reaction score
I wasn't born yet, but why did we have to go on the road if we were undefeated? Was there different home field advantage rules back then?

I am watching the 72 season on ESPN classic and just dont get it.

Like how Nuetral Courts work in basketball. Takes a big part out of the game IMO. Im glad it got changed.

mistergreens said:
I wasn't born yet, but why did we have to go on the road if we were undefeated? Was there different home field advantage rules back then?

I was old enough and did see it, They had no home field advantage based on your record then, to be honest I don't remember how they chose it, it might have been a coin toss.

A lot of people when discussing the the perfect Dolphins of 1972 forget to remember that they had to go into three river stadium and beat the Steeler team that would go onto win 4 Superbowl championships later.

I can't post URL's yet, but I got this off another website.

At the time, the championship games for the conferences were rotated amongst the divisions, regardless of which team had the better record.

The really sad part is there may never have been a Steelers Dynasty had Joe Robbie opened his wallet and signed Kiick, Csonka and Warfield/...the WFL ruined our team...we had gone to 3 straight superbowls, losing to the Cowboys, and then winning the next two against the Redskins and Vikings...we could have won 4-5 in a row......Robbie didn't sign Zonk over a dispute over $50,000. Talk about being chintzy. But at least we did win them back to back..I was 7 years old and never would have thought we never would have won another one. :cry:

mistergreens said:

I think its because the Steelers had the steroids.

That team had the makings of another couple of SBs.Losing the big three gutted the team and the Steelers became prominent after that .(With a little help from the Roids).

But they were special years.We will have SB8 on the torrents shortly and you will see the domination the fins had in those years.There was none better than Csonka for controlling a game and when he didnt get it done there was always Griese who was the best I have ever seen in drawing a team offsides with his off cadence counts to get a cheap first down.The games were almost boring in the domination of the clock.

painnotpleasure said:
Wow, that sucked. I had no idea, thank god they changed it.

Seriously, I had no idea either (too young, missed the good ol years). I'm glad that was changed!

You wanna hear the real answer to that question?? Call the Mad Dog on 560 WQAM. He loves answering that question!!:lol:

BlueFin said:
I was old enough and did see it, They had no home field advantage based on your record then, to be honest I don't remember how they chose it, it might have been a coin toss.

A lot of people when discussing the the perfect Dolphins of 1972 forget to remember that they had to go into three river stadium and beat the Steeler team that would go onto win 4 Superbowl championships later.

it alternated between divisions. that year it was the central and pitt was the division winner.

Ahhh, homefield advantage. remember when we had that. Just finished watching the '85 Bears game. You won't see the refs letting the QB stop anymore because he couldn't hear.

They alternated priority among the three divisions

One year it would be AFC East 1, AFC Central 2, AFC West 3. Then the next year the order would change. The wild card team could never play at home.

AFC Central was slotted above AFC East in '72. It was known all year. We knocked out wild card Cleveland in the first round.

Frankly, I don't remember if the AFC West was above the AFC Central or not, in the rotation. That was the Immaculate Reception year. If Oakland had held on to win in Pittsburgh, would we have hosted Oakland or played out there? I'm shocked I don't remember. Someone else can look it up on the internet. I prefer to suffer along with my aging memory capabilities.

CrunchTime said:
That team had the makings of another couple of SBs.Losing the big three gutted the team and the Steelers became prominent after that .
You are correct CT...
Actually when it came down to losing those 3 guy's J Robbie should be more to blame than Warfield or Csonka!
J Kiick was not a loss in imo....

Marino1983

Back
Top Bottom