Why was Vontae Davis considered a character risk by draft analysts? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why was Vontae Davis considered a character risk by draft analysts?

Some very basic homework would tell you that your post was ill-informed at best. Maybe you're rich and don't consider the at LEAST 7.345 million dollars that he gets if he never plays another game in the NFL "big bucks".

lol, yo kid i think u misunderstood my post, i was refering to the fact that jermarcus russell signing to vontae is quite a big difference. Heres some proof for ya, good game.

Jermarcus signed a six-year contract worth up to $68 million, with $31.5 million guaranteed. Sorry i cant post the link but there ya go.

Wrong... It's the other way around. In college you play hard so you get drafted high and get paid the big bucks... Then when you have money you kick back and enjoy life... aka Jamarcus Russell. I'm not even sure if Jamarcus Russell didn't take a play off..

Other notables: Every first round draft pick bust. Why do you think there are so many first round busts nowadays in the NFL? Because once they have the money, they stop trying. Which is now we see so many undrafted and late round draftees outperforming these projected superstars because they have something to play for. Example: the entire Raiders roster. Man I love bashing on the Raiders...

hmmm... Not entirely. There are a lot of players that become busts cause they stop trying, but there are some players who were drafted based solely on physical attributes and shouldn't be first round picks. A lot of players just don't have the mental part of the game down. Others just don't fit certain schemes.

We'll see about Vonte's character in a year or two, when he wants a new deal after a couple of years.... or NOT!

Some of these players get the troubled player tage to easily. It is college some things will happen it does not mean they are bad people and will come into your orginization and just slack off. Most of these players understand that when they reach the NFL this is real life now you can't slack off anymore.

Also for those first round pick busts most of them get put into positions on ****ty teams with horrible coaches that do not use the player to their best capabilities. If Russels gets drafted late 1st round and gets developed and not tossed into a starting position when every1 in the world knows he is just raw talent that needs to be developed. Coaches have to go back to sitting some of these players for 2-3 years before you stick them into the spotlight.

It was more of an attitude/immaturity issue....not neccessarily anything "off the field", as in criminal, etc...

Ron Zook knew how physically gifted and talented of a player he had in Vontae and he was trying to get the best out of him....sometimes you just have to push the right buttons to get through to these young kids that have a sense of entitlement...

If you've ever coached football you understand where Zook was coming from...

...but he also endorsed Vontae Davis to the Dolphins when they inquired about him...

:up:

Illinois coach Ron Zook told the Miami Herald the perception of Davis as a problem is ''not anywhere close to true. I know how that stuff started. I've always coached my best players the hardest. There was one day last season he wasn't practicing as hard as he could practice and I threw him off the field.''

Aside from that one day, Zook said, Davis was one of his hardest workers.

''I love the kid -- he's like my son,'' Zook told the Herald. "He worked as hard as anyone I've coached. Vontae is a great person, will do whatever he's asked. He's very coachable, was well-respected here. When the rumor came out about failing a drug test, even our players said no way he would do that.''

All I can say in the Jemarcus Russell to Vontae Davis debate is that at least Davis exhibits some football knowledge. Russell to me looks like a lost dog playing in a Pit Bull pen when it comes to smarts on the field.

I wouldn't really doubt that his crazy brother would have also been a factor as well. My main concern is how Davis will continue to improve in zone coverage in the nfl as that has been an issue. One to one he is a pretty good player but zone coverage is still a weakness that he has to improve and know he will.

Sean Smith needs to work on zone coverage as well but more importantly as a tackler. That might be due to the fact that he is a bit taller than most corners.

Means nothing. Draft experts are no experts.
Dan Marino had character issue, and they thought he was on drug.
Brew Brees also had "issues", according to former Dolphins front office.

This is Incorrect. Dan Marino was criticized for not throwing a tight spiral in college. Something is his throwing mechanics produced a warble in the ball flight.

Means nothing. Draft experts are no experts.
Dan Marino had character issue, and they thought he was on drug.
Brew Brees also had "issues", according to former Dolphins front office.

But the Marino character issue was a a total falsehood. Vontae Davis did fail a drug test at the combine (so did Percy Harvin). Clay Matthews and Cushing failed for steroid use. Vontae failed for using the same stuff as Ricky Williams.

This is Incorrect. Dan Marino was criticized for not throwing a tight spiral in college. Something is his throwing mechanics produced a warble in the ball flight.

You are wrong...well partially. For Marino it was the drug rumor. He did develop a gitch in his throwing motion his senior year which hurt his timing and he struggled. He fixed it by the Senior Bowl. Also his mother was very ill during his senior season at Pitt.

hmmm... Not entirely. There are a lot of players that become busts cause they stop trying, but there are some players who were drafted based solely on physical attributes and shouldn't be first round picks. A lot of players just don't have the mental part of the game down. Others just don't fit certain schemes.

EXACTLY! Ryan Leaf was a bust only from the neck up. He had every physical tool you could want in a QB. Almost all of his mistakes (interceptions especially) were mental errors (he had the arm to throw any ball you could want but he threw a lot of ill-advised passes). Many of his fumbles were also the result of mental miscues rather than just physically losing the ball.

What did he do? Just watching him this season, he has the ideal attitude for the NFL. He is both confident and humble at the same time and has a deep desire to learn and better himself.

I remember the Big O completely torching the pick of Vontae and he continued to rag on him up until the FALSE arrest.

What kind of dirt did these guys have on Vontae?

So he wasn't a headache in his first year. That doesn't mean anything.

You've obviously never been married.

:rimshot:

Back
Top Bottom