Why was Vontae Davis considered a character risk by draft analysts? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why was Vontae Davis considered a character risk by draft analysts?

SkapePhin

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
What did he do? Just watching him this season, he has the ideal attitude for the NFL. He is both confident and humble at the same time and has a deep desire to learn and better himself.

I remember the Big O completely torching the pick of Vontae and he continued to rag on him up until the FALSE arrest.

What kind of dirt did these guys have on Vontae?

I think it was because he took plays off or something in college, and got benched for a half of a big game. Why that caused him to slip to us, I have no idea, but I'm glad it did.

Yep, when Davis was at Illinois he had a tendency to get lazy early in games, and his work ethic was definitely questionable to put it nicely.

Luckily, he got his act together when he got drafted by the Dolphins. Hopefully it stays this way.

this is the pros, if he wants to make more money he has to perform better, u dont get paid in college so im sure everyone takes plays off, screw those draft experts.

this is the pros, if he wants to make more money he has to perform better, u dont get paid in college so im sure everyone takes plays off, screw those draft experts.

Wrong... It's the other way around. In college you play hard so you get drafted high and get paid the big bucks... Then when you have money you kick back and enjoy life... aka Jamarcus Russell. I'm not even sure if Jamarcus Russell didn't take a play off..

Other notables: Every first round draft pick bust. Why do you think there are so many first round busts nowadays in the NFL? Because once they have the money, they stop trying. Which is now we see so many undrafted and late round draftees outperforming these projected superstars because they have something to play for. Example: the entire Raiders roster. Man I love bashing on the Raiders...

Mike Singletary getting the head coach job in SF actually has a lot to do with why Vonte didnt live down to some of the Hype.
When you watch Vonte and Vernon together you can see how much Vonte looks up to him. Singletary getting to Vernon helped a lot.

It was more of an attitude/immaturity issue....not neccessarily anything "off the field", as in criminal, etc...

Ron Zook knew how physically gifted and talented of a player he had in Vontae and he was trying to get the best out of him....sometimes you just have to push the right buttons to get through to these young kids that have a sense of entitlement...

If you've ever coached football you understand where Zook was coming from...

...but he also endorsed Vontae Davis to the Dolphins when they inquired about him...

Wrong... It's the other way around. In college you play hard so you get drafted high and get paid the big bucks... Then when you have money you kick back and enjoy life... aka Jamarcus Russell. I'm not even sure if Jamarcus Russell didn't take a play off..

Other notables: Every first round draft pick bust. Why do you think there are so many first round busts nowadays in the NFL? Because once they have the money, they stop trying. Which is now we see so many undrafted and late round draftees outperforming these projected superstars because they have something to play for. Example: the entire Raiders roster. Man I love bashing on the Raiders...

plz dont compare jemarcus russell to vontae davis, jermarcus russell = bust, vontae davis= future probowler. Jermarcus russell was the 1st pick in the draft so he got the big bucks, vontae didnt.

plz dont compare jemarcus russell to vontae davis, jermarcus russell = bust, vontae davis= future probowler. Jermarcus russell was the 1st pick in the draft so he got the big bucks, vontae didnt.

I wasn't comparing Vontae Davis to Jamarcus Russell... I was just disagreeing with his statement that players tend to slack off in college and try in the pro's, while I think it's the opposite.

I think the way Vontae plays he would be an awesome Free Safety in this league..

Means nothing. Draft experts are no experts.
Dan Marino had character issue, and they thought he was on drug.
Brew Brees also had "issues", according to former Dolphins front office.

(please please please no more change Sean Smith or Vontae Davis to FS comments)

One thing that can happen in college and is maybe sometimes worse in HS is that you are at times so much better then the players you are against etc that you can get lazy.

I saw this with Carlos Dunlap here with the Gators and I think that was part of the problem with V.Davis.

IMO, the real problem is that drafting and mock drafts have become such a huge business on their own that rumors tend to really get out of hand.

It was more of an attitude/immaturity issue....not neccessarily anything "off the field", as in criminal, etc...

Ron Zook knew how physically gifted and talented of a player he had in Vontae and he was trying to get the best out of him....sometimes you just have to push the right buttons to get through to these young kids that have a sense of entitlement...

If you've ever coached football you understand where Zook was coming from...

...but he also endorsed Vontae Davis to the Dolphins when they inquired about him...

This is what I recall his issues were.

7/31/2009: Signed a five-year, $10.25 million contract. The deal contains $7.345 million guaranteed, including a $500,000 signing bonus and Davis' first three base salaries. Another $3.05 million is available through incentives. 2009: $310,000 (+ $815,000 roster bonus), 2010: $395,000 (+ $4.045 million option bonus), 2011: $676,250, 2012: $957,500, 2013: $786,250, 2014: Free Agent

Some very basic homework would tell you that your post was ill-informed at best. Maybe you're rich and don't consider the at LEAST 7.345 million dollars that he gets if he never plays another game in the NFL "big bucks".

Back
Top Bottom